Level 7 spellscarred power WHOA!

bjorn2bwild

First Post
Just picked up the FRPG.

Checking out the spellscarred powers, I noticed something that seems a tad out of whack.

The level 7 power "cursed grasping air" is "ranged 15", has two targets, and has a hit line that reads as follows:

"2d6+int,wis,or cha damage. If you
hit both targets, you slide one target to be adjacent to the other."

I do not see anything about a maximum range between the two targets other than the base range of the spell. So, does this really mean that I can slide a bad guy up to 31 squares with this power?

That seems a bit excessive.

The power is on page 43 of the FRPG.

Dragongrief

Explorer
That would be pretty impressive. I'll even agree with excessive; however, consider the circumstances for that to come into play.

To have a target on each side of you at 15 squares (75 feet), you're most likely surrounded. In that case, you'd probably want to focus fire on one area so when you decide to run away, you'll have somewhere to go.

It was probably an oversite based on the assumption that you will be fighting a group, coming from one direction. At the very least, all of the enemies should already be within 5-10 squares of each other.

bjorn2bwild

First Post
Blood Pulse!

I'm not sure I'm following where you're going with this one. Blood Pulse does have a maximum range between targets, is a paragon path power, and also has entirely different effects.

I'm not all up in arms about the fact that the power is ranged 15. The issue is the maximum potential distance of the slide effect, which I fear is 31 squares.

That would be pretty impressive. I'll even agree with excessive; however, consider the circumstances for that to come into play.

To have a target on each side of you at 15 squares (75 feet), you're most likely surrounded. In that case, you'd probably want to focus fire on one area so when you decide to run away, you'll have somewhere to go.

It was probably an oversite based on the assumption that you will be fighting a group, coming from one direction. At the very least, all of the enemies should already be within 5-10 squares of each other.

I agree that it wouldn't come up very often, if at all. I'm just questioning the judgement of the designers to include such a thing at all, and at heroic levels nonetheless!

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I'm not sure I'm following where you're going with this one. Blood Pulse does have a maximum range between targets, is a paragon path power, and also has entirely different effects.

Right. But what happens if you use Blood Pulse on someone, and then slide him 31 squares?

-Hyp.

keterys

First Post
Could slide someone further if one of the targets was gargantuan and just barely in range.

Not that it's necessary, but it'd make it more silly good of a blood pulse ;)

mlangsdorf

First Post
The best use of Blood Pulse is in the mine cart chase scene in Depths of Avarice. "You did how many dice of damage!?"*

(In the mine cart chase scene, the carts are moving 50 squares each round. If only the wizard hadn't already used his Orb of Inevitable Continuance, he could have completely killed the big bad with a single spell).

keterys

First Post
I really do wonder how long it will take for them to errata blood pulse. Anyhow, excluding blood pulse... is the power broken or problematic?

ppaladin123

Adventurer
even worse (as found on the character optimization boards at wizards):

Gravity of Moment (Spellscarred Daily Attack 19th)
Ranged 20
Int/Wis/Cha vs Will
Hit: Slide the target 15 squares.
Miss: Slide the target 10 squares.
Sustain Minor: Slide the target 10 squares.

Yikes.

Remove ads