D&D 5E List of All 33 Races in Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books. Aarackocra Assimar Bugbear Centaur Changeling Deep Gnome Duergar Eladrin Fairy Firbolg Genasi, Air Genasi, Earth Genasi, Fire Gennasi, Water Githyanki Githzerai Goblin Goliath Harengon Hobgoblin Kenku Kobold Lizardfolk Minotaur Orc Satyr Sea Elf Shadar Kai Shifter Tabaxi...

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

• Aarackocra
  • Assimar
  • Bugbear
  • Centaur
  • Changeling
  • Deep Gnome
  • Duergar
  • Eladrin
  • Fairy
  • Firbolg
  • Genasi, Air
  • Genasi, Earth
  • Genasi, Fire
  • Gennasi, Water
  • Githyanki
  • Githzerai
  • Goblin
  • Goliath
  • Harengon
  • Hobgoblin
  • Kenku
  • Kobold
  • Lizardfolk
  • Minotaur
  • Orc
  • Satyr
  • Sea Elf
  • Shadar Kai
  • Shifter
  • Tabaxi
  • Turtle
  • Triton
  • Yuan-ti

While reprinted, these races have all been updated to the current standard used by WotC for D&D races used in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, including a free choice of ability score increases (increase one by 2 points and another by 1 point; or increase three by 1 point), and small races not suffering a movement speed penalty.

The video below from Nerd Immersion delves into the races in more detail.

Bluebell

Explorer
I know some people like to take encumbrance into account at their tables, but don't a lot of games already ignore it without much issue? It's never seemed that difficult to me to apply the "within reason" rule to encumbrance: yes, you can carry 500 gold coins in your pocket without your pants sagging because video game conventions have primed us to see money as just a number, but no you cannot carry more than two bodies at a time or move at normal speed while doing so.

I am personally sad about the removal of light sensitivity because yes I agree that light sensitive races should be able to operate fine with the aid of sunglasses/veils/other accessories but the addition of those accessories lends so much roleplay potential. When I play a duergar in sunglasses, I want my DM to know that I am accepting the risk that my glasses will get stolen/dropped/broken in the right circumstances. That's the tradeoff I choose to make in exchange for other racial benefits.

I am personally sad about the removal of light sensitivity because yes I agree that light sensitive races should be able to operate fine with the aid of sunglasses/veils/other accessories but the addition of those accessories lends so much roleplay potential. When I play a duergar in sunglasses, I want my DM to know that I am accepting the risk that my glasses will get stolen/dropped/broken in the right circumstances. That's the tradeoff I choose to make in exchange for other racial benefits.
But what about characters with just plain corrective lenses glasses? There's no rules for that, and there isn't a generic take a mechanical flaw to get mechanical benefits rules in official 5e, like how many other point-based RPG systems have.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Aren't some of the Vampire myths based on people who had a certain medical conditions, which could include a sunlight allergy?
Unlikely, while nocturnal (like many monsters), folkloric vampires didn't have any particulary aversion to sunlight from what I've read.

Remove ads

Remove ads