D&D 5E List of All 33 Races in Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books. Aarackocra Assimar Bugbear Centaur Changeling Deep Gnome Duergar Eladrin Fairy Firbolg Genasi, Air Genasi, Earth Genasi, Fire Gennasi, Water Githyanki Githzerai Goblin Goliath Harengon Hobgoblin Kenku Kobold Lizardfolk Minotaur Orc Satyr Sea Elf Shadar Kai Shifter Tabaxi...

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

• Aarackocra
  • Assimar
  • Bugbear
  • Centaur
  • Changeling
  • Deep Gnome
  • Duergar
  • Eladrin
  • Fairy
  • Firbolg
  • Genasi, Air
  • Genasi, Earth
  • Genasi, Fire
  • Gennasi, Water
  • Githyanki
  • Githzerai
  • Goblin
  • Goliath
  • Harengon
  • Hobgoblin
  • Kenku
  • Kobold
  • Lizardfolk
  • Minotaur
  • Orc
  • Satyr
  • Sea Elf
  • Shadar Kai
  • Shifter
  • Tabaxi
  • Turtle
  • Triton
  • Yuan-ti

While reprinted, these races have all been updated to the current standard used by WotC for D&D races used in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, including a free choice of ability score increases (increase one by 2 points and another by 1 point; or increase three by 1 point), and small races not suffering a movement speed penalty.

The video below from Nerd Immersion delves into the races in more detail.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I’d suspect that a big part of D&D’s appeal is that it is built on strong archetypes. I fear that if they take it too far into ‘do whatever’ direction that appeal is lost.

I like the strong archetypes for race... but then I think of how I like all of the options for the classes, and they're archetypes too, right?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
1) we were talking about WHEN THEY UPDATE THE PHB not now, this isn't the new edition this is the hint that the annaversary/5.5/6 phb will look like
Okay. My point will still stand then, unless they actually change the rules of the game. Even if the PHB races are as different as some of these secondary races are, so what? Is the Tiefling “inconsistent” because variants exist?
yes and if I made a 3e character and a 3.5 they LOOK similar if you don't know what they are or how they are made... heck a 4e fighter a 3.5 Bo9S warblade, and a 5e wizard could all be written on non character sheets to look like they play togather (if you didn't know)...
This is a silly retort. You examples will, obviously, actually operate under different rules in play. The action economy will differ, they will have abilities that reference rules that exist only in their native system and not the others, etc.
I'm sorry but roll d20 add modifire hasn't changed since 2000
But many other general rules have, so this comes across as disingenuous.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Warforged are just playable golems with souls. I have found them super easy to integrate into various settings. It's as easy "warforged were created by the dwarves during their war with the giants using the souls of their fallen brethren."

With Kalashtar, they are basically the descendants of humans who merged with the souls of beings from another plane. I'm not sure how they would be all that difficult to incorporate into other settings even with changing their backstory per setting.
You can absolutely port warforged to another setting without much trouble. What I was saying is that WotC would want to change the name, which represents a very specific way for a constructed being to come into existence, and they're probably unwilling to do that for branding reasons.

HammerMan

Legend
Okay. My point will still stand then, unless they actually change the rules of the game. Even if the PHB races are as different as some of these secondary races are, so what? Is the Tiefling “inconsistent” because variants exist?
I don't know... depends on the table, but I will say that is 1 race not all of them... again dwarves that no longer count as dwarves already seems odd without the context of the new printing.
This is a silly retort. You examples will, obviously, actually operate under different rules in play. The action economy will differ, they will have abilities that reference rules that exist only in their native system and not the others, etc.
yes it's silly, as silly as saying that 2 durgar with diffrent rules wont make a little splash (again it's little but lots of little things make for big waves)
But many other general rules have, so this comes across as disingenuous.
I am no being disingenuous it is the most high view general rule. it is why I see 3e, 4e, 5e, pathfinder, mutants and masterminds, and many others to really be (at the high level general) the same basic system (d20) but I wouldn't say that they are playable at the same table.

What I am seeing here is changes close to (maybe not fully there yet) the diffrence between D20 modern and 3e, or 3.5 and 5e.

Remove ads

Remove ads