D&D 5E List of All 33 Races in Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books. Aarackocra Assimar Bugbear Centaur Changeling Deep Gnome Duergar Eladrin Fairy Firbolg Genasi, Air Genasi, Earth Genasi, Fire Gennasi, Water Githyanki Githzerai Goblin Goliath Harengon Hobgoblin Kenku Kobold Lizardfolk Minotaur Orc Satyr Sea Elf Shadar Kai Shifter Tabaxi...

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

• Aarackocra
  • Assimar
  • Bugbear
  • Centaur
  • Changeling
  • Deep Gnome
  • Duergar
  • Eladrin
  • Fairy
  • Firbolg
  • Genasi, Air
  • Genasi, Earth
  • Genasi, Fire
  • Gennasi, Water
  • Githyanki
  • Githzerai
  • Goblin
  • Goliath
  • Harengon
  • Hobgoblin
  • Kenku
  • Kobold
  • Lizardfolk
  • Minotaur
  • Orc
  • Satyr
  • Sea Elf
  • Shadar Kai
  • Shifter
  • Tabaxi
  • Turtle
  • Triton
  • Yuan-ti

While reprinted, these races have all been updated to the current standard used by WotC for D&D races used in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, including a free choice of ability score increases (increase one by 2 points and another by 1 point; or increase three by 1 point), and small races not suffering a movement speed penalty.

The video below from Nerd Immersion delves into the races in more detail.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Yet more legacies of the game being destroyed. Let's give everyone goodies, no drawbacks/penalties/etc. despite it making perfect sense (please explain how a halfling has the same stride as a human...? Or why eyes adjust perfectly fine despite being a pure underground race?)

Everything the same as the rest.

So exactly what makes anything distinct in D&D anymore? It's all cardboard copies of each other now.

Jeez this game is falling apart. And the rookies who don't know better eat it up cause cash is all the company cares about.

Missing the TSR days more and more
Then go play old TSR D&D then. No one's stopping you. Stopping banging your head against the wall continuously if it keeps hurting that badly, cause it just makes the rest of us feel sorry for you that you can't help but continuously live in pain.

Erdric Dragin

Adventurer
It doesn't bother me that this book is being bundled in a gift set.
It doesn't bother me that player races will have different abilities than monster statblocks.
It doesn't bother me that races are changing in this new book from what appeared in the PHB 7 years ago.
It doesn't bother me that I have not yet heard of a release date of this book on its own.
It doesn't bother me that D&D Beyond will need to go through some adjustments, nor what those adjustments will be.
It doesn't bother me if these are enough changes to be considered a .5 edition, or a stealth 6th edition.

Why is this the case? Because I understand that I am not special. My wants and needs are not universal. And I am not so self-involved that I'm left feeling "abandoned" by WotC or the game because things are changing away from what I've gotten used to. There is no reason why I have to change with these changes. I don't have to change at all. I can play the game the way I did last year, five years ago, at the start of the edition if I so choose. The same way I didn't have to change from 4E to 5E at the time if I didn't want to. Same way I didn't need to move from 4E to Essentials if I didn't want to. Or 3E to 3.5E when that was released if I didn't want to. This Dungeons & Dragons game is not so precious that I need it to remain exactly how I want it, nor do I need to attribute any amount of self-worth to MY version above all others and thus get all bent out of shape when it wants to move away from that.

It doesn't bother me. It never has. Didn't then and doesn't now.
Sure we can continue playing the editions we enjoy.

What's damaging is we lack continued support.

I would kill to see WotC publish 3.5 books again. A Complete Incarnum book. An Expanded Psionics book 2. A Forgotten Realms regional book on The Lands of Intrigue. A Fiendish Codex III: Yugoloths book. A Monster Manual 6. I can go on about what I'd like to see the designers create and gladly pay for it, unlike now where I haven't purchased anything D&D since they ended 3.5e

That's what's upsetting. That's what's wrong. That's why most of us what people dub "grognards" are angry about.

We want more of the old stuff.

Heck, why the hell isn't WotC opening up their DMsGuild to older editions? I would love to purchase creator content on DMs Guild that was published more 2e or 3e. The fact they limit it to edition neutral or 5e only is garbage. Heck I'd like to collab and write up a 3.5 Psionics book on the DMs Guild maybe.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Yet more legacies of the game being destroyed.
When I think D&D, I think slow halflings first and foremost.
(please explain how a halfling has the same stride as a human...?
They are lighter and take more steps in the same amount of time. Like how a mouse is faster than a person?
Or why eyes adjust perfectly fine despite being a pure underground race?)
1) No longer purely underground
2) Sight acclimates over time.
So exactly what makes anything distinct in D&D anymore? It's all cardboard copies of each other now.
Except all the differences. I don't see gnomes breathing fire.
Jeez this game is falling apart. And the rookies who don't know better eat it up cause cash is all the company cares about.
Falling apart from all the people giving them money?
I have some dollar store dice to sell you...

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Didn't they recently release or test a small race that could choose to be medium as a PC?

No idea. I don't follow any playtest stuff and only come across this news when I happen to click on a thread in these forums. I am not that concerned because I am a strong believer in D&D being what is played at the table, not what comes out in books - and at my table smallfolk will continue to have a 25' speed, unless I grandfather it back to 20' at some point. Actually, my version of lizardfolk have a 20' speed, not for being small - but emulating their former edition version (still have a 30' swim speed though).

So-called "mechanical balance" is an overblown idea that is overdetermined - but I have long been an outlier about that, I guess.

HammerMan

Legend
Yet more legacies of the game being destroyed. Let's give everyone goodies, no drawbacks/penalties/etc. despite it making perfect sense (please explain how a halfling has the same stride as a human...? Or why eyes adjust perfectly fine despite being a pure underground race?)

I mean not the same but similar enough to not drag things down.

I know after a few 2e games my group avoided races with slower speeds, and in 3e just skipped them 9/10 times because we didn't want to be the reason to slow the group. Same with 'dumb human eyes' if everyone but 1 person has infravision that 1 person messes up the better sight of the others if they lit a torch, or they were blind...

giving everyone a base level of somethings will make it less punishing to play the only one of that in a group...

(although 4e was my favorit, where half elves where sickly puppy dogs, so if you had one in your party everyone was like "wow, you keep a half elf you must be nice" and got a bonus to some cha skills)

Remove ads

Remove ads