D&D 5E List of All 33 Races in Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books. Aarackocra Assimar Bugbear Centaur Changeling Deep Gnome Duergar Eladrin Fairy Firbolg Genasi, Air Genasi, Earth Genasi, Fire Gennasi, Water Githyanki Githzerai Goblin Goliath Harengon Hobgoblin Kenku Kobold Lizardfolk Minotaur Orc Satyr Sea Elf Shadar Kai Shifter Tabaxi...

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

• Aarackocra
  • Assimar
  • Bugbear
  • Centaur
  • Changeling
  • Deep Gnome
  • Duergar
  • Eladrin
  • Fairy
  • Firbolg
  • Genasi, Air
  • Genasi, Earth
  • Genasi, Fire
  • Gennasi, Water
  • Githyanki
  • Githzerai
  • Goblin
  • Goliath
  • Harengon
  • Hobgoblin
  • Kenku
  • Kobold
  • Lizardfolk
  • Minotaur
  • Orc
  • Satyr
  • Sea Elf
  • Shadar Kai
  • Shifter
  • Tabaxi
  • Turtle
  • Triton
  • Yuan-ti

While reprinted, these races have all been updated to the current standard used by WotC for D&D races used in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, including a free choice of ability score increases (increase one by 2 points and another by 1 point; or increase three by 1 point), and small races not suffering a movement speed penalty.

The video below from Nerd Immersion delves into the races in more detail.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The issue is that the original core rules also need their presentation updated. Having to wait two whole years for that is annoying.

As I said before, I very much wish they’d waited to do these major changes until they could do everything at once.

I don’t like the way the game is evolving in such a haphazard way.

I would rather the game evolve through a new edition instead of an experimental “bridging” product.

As long as I can ignore the content in this new book on DD Beyond, I’ll be able to get over it and wait till 2024. But if WotC forces DD Beyond to replace all the existing content with this new stuff, I will not be happy.
The new edition isn't going to be a clean break, though. They have said that, and this bears witness to their intention. D&D in the future will likely only ever be transitional products between collation at key anniversaries.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I almost feel relief.

trying to catch ‘em all ends here for me. Did the same with 3.0 and 3.5. Just called it a day and played with what I had.

I have tons of books and minis. A new edition is exciting and in a few cases was disappointing but I think this is as much dopamine as I can invest in the thrill of keeping up.

i always skip or largely skip the ‘evens’ and so far also the “half editions.” I am glad others are thrilled and filled with anticipation!

at this juncture I am looking back more than forward and that’s ok. I have done it before. 5e proper has had a really great run and would not have predicted it.

a lot of fun to wr from it too and for me it goes up to parts of Tasha’s. This is where the road forks though for me.

happy gaming whatever your path!

edited for grammar and weird ass typos

Last edited:

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I guess whether the 2024 rerelease of the core books is a 5.5E or a 6E will depend on one's definition of what constitutes a new edition.

Regarding movement speeds: my wife is shorter than me and has shorter legs, but generally walks as fast or faster than me - and I'm a fairly long-legged, lanky fellow. I'm sure there are many, many examples of why height or size is not a determinant of movement speed.

One of my gamers brought this up recently, and I'm mulling over how true I consider it: -- because of D&D 'doing so unprecedentedly well' (the narrative we've been getting for the past 5+ years) and breaking ground with a lot of new gamers, the demographics of those who were there for the playtests differs from the total player base we have today. There are a number of things I see in 5e core that look like things used to lure back people D&D lost when it transferred from oTSR* to WotC, or just plain were mainstays of previous editions, that probably have no particular resonance with lots of current gamers, and if they are disruptive to play (and having 'that one slow-raced character' reduce the entire-party overland movement has been a bane for decades), why not get rid of them?
*how sad is it that I have to make this distinction?
100%

D&D seems increasingly targeted at younger players (for the same reasons most things are targeted at younger "consumers") and people who are new to ttrpgs (because that expands the customer base), while holding on to enough elements that will still vaguely look like D&D and keep as many older players as possible/profitable.

I don't care much either way. But if they just update D&D Beyond instead of keeping both options, seems like they lose an opportunity to change more. I mean, if they just update the races in D&D Beyond, I'm getting them for free.

You will still have to pay for MotM to access some or most of this new content. I imagine a core sampling of the MotM races will be available to any registered DDB user.

With the removal of slower movement rates and Sunlight Sensitivity, I think including a way to give your character a mechanical flaw might be a useful feature for 5.5. Beef up the Flaw part of Personality Traits in Backgrounds, or something. That way if your character was raised in the bowels of the earth, you can have Sunlight Sensitivity. Etcetera.

We'll have to agree to disagree. The whole point of the rules is to provide that consistency. Disassociated mechanics and all that.

Some people want their fantasy to have at least a whiff of logical sense, others want pure dreamscape and surrealism. To each their own.
Sure. Rules are there to provide consistency..of adjudication for adventurer-facing obstacles.

For example, you'll notice there is little in the rules that would tell you how to farm or how to mine in a D&D setting, yet somehow its hard to picture D&D with zero farmers or miners.

And there are some who acknowledge that logical sense can exist even when there is significant divergence from real world assumptions.

pukunui

Legend
Another inconsistency is that there are now effectively two different sets of goblinoids - the ones presented as monsters in the core MM and these new Feywild-connected playable race versions.

If the 50Ae MM gives goblinoids a Feywild connection, that’s fine. But we’ll have to wait two years to find out …

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Thinking about the content...it is interesting that most of the changes in here were never playtested, at least directly. Winninger seems more willing than prior management to let the designers take the lead on new content t, which matches with every other product wevseen on his watch.

HammerMan

Legend
They delivered that to an extent, though not enough to please absolutely everyone. What they did deliver on was a modular system, so different subsystems can be urged in via Adventure books, or through supplements like this, without causing rules hinks.
okay, so where is the mod that lets us play warlord like characters? what about just more advanced martial characters that are on par with spell casters?

Remove ads

Remove ads