D&D 5E List of All 33 Races in Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

• Aarackocra
  • Assimar
  • Bugbear
  • Centaur
  • Changeling
  • Deep Gnome
  • Duergar
  • Eladrin
  • Fairy
  • Firbolg
  • Genasi, Air
  • Genasi, Earth
  • Genasi, Fire
  • Gennasi, Water
  • Githyanki
  • Githzerai
  • Goblin
  • Goliath
  • Harengon
  • Hobgoblin
  • Kenku
  • Kobold
  • Lizardfolk
  • Minotaur
  • Orc
  • Satyr
  • Sea Elf
  • Shadar Kai
  • Shifter
  • Tabaxi
  • Turtle
  • Triton
  • Yuan-ti

While reprinted, these races have all been updated to the current standard used by WotC for D&D races used in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, including a free choice of ability score increases (increase one by 2 points and another by 1 point; or increase three by 1 point), and small races not suffering a movement speed penalty.

The video below from Nerd Immersion delves into the races in more detail.

Last edited:

R_J_K75

Legend
Fey are cool and humans, dwarves, and halflings are boring. I think it's simply that.

Personally, I hate fey this and fey that. Wild Beyond the Witchlight was an easy pass. Making more and more things fey is just going to get me to pass on whatever WotC is pushing.

Maybe the idea WotC is trying to appeal to preteens is true and that's why? The latest survey had a number of questions on teaching young kids to play.
Personally, I think all the base races have their place but I'm more inclined towards the old school of thinking from earlier editions that race "x" is predominantly associated with "y" trait. I don't keep up on the current trends of D&D on FB, Twitter, etc. but I do get the feeling that they are catering to a newer & younger demographic. If so, I can understand them seeking out a younger audience to keep the game going for future generations. There's not much I can do but be more selective in my future purchases.

Witchlight was the last adventure I bought figuring I could pick and choose a few parts to run when it fit into our game. The one thing that really aggravated me about that book was the only thing that jumped out at me while browsing the book that looked like I could quickly drop into a game with little trouble or running the adventure was Yarnspinner on pg 131. After reading the text under it I find out that I have to buy Domains of Delight off DMs Guild as its detailed there and not in the book I just bought. I didn't buy it. Thats in poor form by WotC IMO.

Apparently a few races still get skills and weapon profs. Mostly it's choice made during a rest, but the exception seems to be Tabaxi who still get Stealth and Perception, along with a damage boost to their claw attacks.

The Elf races have a buffed Trance mechanic. In addition to its old effect, Sleep Immunity and the ability to pick two profiencies (weapon and tool) after a long rest have been added to it.

I think the Teleporting powers are Prof times per day as well.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I remember early on that 5e seemed like an ideal bare foundation to build on. And that things could potentially be added and slotted in smoothly endlessly.

Instead it feels like they're cutting away at the foundation, rather than building on it. Everything is being further simplified over time and not in a good way.
Maybe. A charitable view may be that they are trying to clean up the base a bit to be better able to provide additional blocks to play with.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
The issue is that the original core rules also need their presentation updated. Having to wait two whole years for that is annoying.

As I said before, I very much wish they’d waited to do these major changes until they could do everything at once.

I don’t like the way the game is evolving in such a haphazard way.

I would rather the game evolve through a new edition instead of an experimental “bridging” product.

As long as I can ignore the content in this new book on DD Beyond, I’ll be able to get over it and wait till 2024. But if WotC forces DD Beyond to replace all the existing content with this new stuff, I will not be happy.
I think some of this is that they are not really taking a traditional print approach. It feels more like a software development approach. I've also noticed that where this may have annoyed me in the past, now that I'm mostly engaging with the rules in digital formats, it really doesn't affect or bother me much.

I don't see the point. As a cautious consumer, this seems like two things:
1) Cash Grab - Billing Genasi as four different races? Who are you guys fooling?
2) Rules Changes - What we're getting is 5.5e, and not just another supplement.

The cash grab I get, they're still a company that needs to make money. I put this in the same marketing ploy as Hollywood remakes: we're running out of ideas but we still need to make a buck, so let's just remake a hot IP and make a quick buck. It's lazy, and uninspired but understandable. The rules changes have been slowly coming. With every UA there's a new set of official rules that quickly follows. Some of it is really uninspiring and lazy, like Strixhaven where rather than make thematic subclasses that transcended classes they just handed out free "feats." WotC could have done something special but instead we got some guy's bad house rules officially published.

WotC isn't ready for releasing a 5.5e in an official capacity. They should stop trying to sneak it in.

So Shifters and Changelings but no Warforged or Kalashtar?
Changlings are definitely popular in various settings, so their inclusion isn't surprising. Kalashtar are very tied to the lore of Eberron, and you can make something similar with Custom+Psionic feat. I suspect warforged may be scheduled for inclusion in an unannounced book that is coming soon (Spelljammer). Shifters? They aint popular, but maybe they felt that they had mechanical issues and needed reworking?

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Changlings are definitely popular in various settings, so their inclusion isn't surprising. Kalashtar are very tied to the lore of Eberron, and you can make something similar with Custom+Psionic feat. I suspect warforged may be scheduled for inclusion in an unannounced book that is coming soon (Spelljammer). Shifters? They aint popular, but maybe they felt that they had mechanical issues and needed reworking?
I just think it was them wanting to have Lycanthrope-people and Doppleganger-people be more widely available to players, setting-wise (after all, a ton of settings have Lycanthropes and Dopplegangers, so it would make sense to have player races related to them in those settings).

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases