D&D 5E List of All 33 Races in Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

• Aarackocra
  • Assimar
  • Bugbear
  • Centaur
  • Changeling
  • Deep Gnome
  • Duergar
  • Eladrin
  • Fairy
  • Firbolg
  • Genasi, Air
  • Genasi, Earth
  • Genasi, Fire
  • Gennasi, Water
  • Githyanki
  • Githzerai
  • Goblin
  • Goliath
  • Harengon
  • Hobgoblin
  • Kenku
  • Kobold
  • Lizardfolk
  • Minotaur
  • Orc
  • Satyr
  • Sea Elf
  • Shadar Kai
  • Shifter
  • Tabaxi
  • Turtle
  • Triton
  • Yuan-ti

While reprinted, these races have all been updated to the current standard used by WotC for D&D races used in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, including a free choice of ability score increases (increase one by 2 points and another by 1 point; or increase three by 1 point), and small races not suffering a movement speed penalty.

The video below from Nerd Immersion delves into the races in more detail.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The size rules should make autognomes small or medium, or you could certainly do that yourself. The warforged name alone is setting-focused, and their origin certainly is.
Do other settings not have wars? they’re golem folk first created during time of war, thats not any more setting focussed than ‘elves are fey’. Or you could change the name - Steelforged maybe? Or just The Forged?

generally though, I dislike the homogenising of size and losing racial penalties (speed, light sensitivity), its the challenges that make race interesting. Being able to do ‘whatever‘ seems to be making the choice pointless.

Last edited:

Do other settings not have wars? they’re golem folk first created during time of war, thats not any more setting focussed than ‘elves are fey’. Or you could change the name - Steelforged maybe? Or just The Forged?

generally though, I dislike the homogenising of size and losing racial penalties (speed, light sensitivity), its the challenges that making race interesting. Being able to do ‘whatever‘ seems to be making the choice pointless.
I think certain species make sense being able to pick their size. A warforged could be built at any size. A planetouched (aasimar, tieflings, gensi) could be of any species. A dhampir halfing would be smaller than a dhampir goliath.

But apart from notable exceptions like that, I do think that most species should be a fixed size catagory.

Aldarc

Legend
There were attempts in Dragon mag articles to give possible ideas for adding Warforged and Kalashtar to the Forgotten Realms , but they had issues. The Warforged had no solid canon to it, it a serious of hypothetical approaches and the FR Kalashtar were tied to victims of the spellplague and were very disturbing.
Warforged are just playable golems with souls. I have found them super easy to integrate into various settings. It's as easy "warforged were created by the dwarves during their war with the giants using the souls of their fallen brethren."

With Kalashtar, they are basically the descendants of humans who merged with the souls of beings from another plane. I'm not sure how they would be all that difficult to incorporate into other settings even with changing their backstory per setting.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I havent seen this myself. Could you point out a source or explain a bit more? My issue is that the spell resistance that Yuan Ti and Satyrs have is too strong for PCs to have baseline for me.
WotC explained that monsters weren't being used effectively, because optimal spells were being overlooked by DMs due to being mixed into the bunch. So they are changing it from, Monster X has the spells Fly, Dimension Door, Fireball and Magic Missile to Monster X has the spells Fly, Dimension Door and Magic Missile, and also has the special ability Fiery Blast which has the same dimensions and damage as Fireball. They figure that by removing the optimal spells and turning them into abilities, the DMs will know which to use in combat. It also serves to avoid spell resistance, because they are no longer spells.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I honestly hope they're going proper snake person with with yuan-ti. I never cared for the "I'm secretly a tiny-bit snake person" routine of the purebloods. I mean, we have rabbit-folk, lizard-folk, owl-folk, a few kinds of dragon-folk, turtle-folk, a dozen kinds of goblin-folk, cow-folk, robot-folk, bird-folk, more bird-folk, angel-folk, devil-folk, horse-folk, elemental-folk, were-folk, goat-folk, and cat-folk. None of them are in any real sense "hiding" their true natures. It's pretty obvious what they are. I really hope they let the snake-folk just be snake-folk.
Well if I remember some lore from somewhere, yuan-ti are converting humans into more yuan-ti in order to "take over the world", and as such, those only slightly "enhanced/tainted" (depending on your point of view) were being used as spies and infiltrators.

Hard for the big snake head person to infiltrate.

BUT, nowadays worlds aren's so "humanocentric" , with empires and kingdoms of all kinds, so how would the yuan-ti pureblood (disparaging term) infiltrate the minotaur kingdom as a human looking spy anyway?

That's just the lore as I remember it (LAR, I made a new anacronym!)

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Sunlight Sensitivity (as a weakness) makes no sense in any setting in which the technology to make sunglasses exists!

And Drizzt had already "acclimatised" when he first appeared in The Crystal Shard.
I demand my dhampir and vampire PCs be allowed to acclimate to sunlight!!!!!!!

...or wear shades...

/wink

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I guess they are still saying the main groups of them are different? Like if you go to a dwarven stronghold, they’re still dwarfs but just the pc might not be very dwarf-like?
Yeah, I think this is it.

Which I feel we have ALWAYS done, but I suppose laying it out clearer is helpful for new players and dms who haven't built up that exp.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
That whole thing never made sense to me; how can a race that can think and problem-solve and innovate not think creatively enough to make up their own sounds? That sounds cultural, not biological.
It was a curse from a deity.

Seriously.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases