D&D 5E List of All 33 Races in Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books. Aarackocra Assimar Bugbear Centaur Changeling Deep Gnome Duergar Eladrin Fairy Firbolg Genasi, Air Genasi, Earth Genasi, Fire Gennasi, Water Githyanki Githzerai Goblin Goliath Harengon Hobgoblin Kenku Kobold Lizardfolk Minotaur Orc Satyr Sea Elf Shadar Kai Shifter Tabaxi...

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

• Aarackocra
  • Assimar
  • Bugbear
  • Centaur
  • Changeling
  • Deep Gnome
  • Duergar
  • Eladrin
  • Fairy
  • Firbolg
  • Genasi, Air
  • Genasi, Earth
  • Genasi, Fire
  • Gennasi, Water
  • Githyanki
  • Githzerai
  • Goblin
  • Goliath
  • Harengon
  • Hobgoblin
  • Kenku
  • Kobold
  • Lizardfolk
  • Minotaur
  • Orc
  • Satyr
  • Sea Elf
  • Shadar Kai
  • Shifter
  • Tabaxi
  • Turtle
  • Triton
  • Yuan-ti

While reprinted, these races have all been updated to the current standard used by WotC for D&D races used in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, including a free choice of ability score increases (increase one by 2 points and another by 1 point; or increase three by 1 point), and small races not suffering a movement speed penalty.

The video below from Nerd Immersion delves into the races in more detail.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Nah, I couldnt be bothered to go into the (many) locked threads where people have be called racists and misogynists' by people now banned, because they dont have a problem with negative modifiers, or dont believe Halflings should be able to get that sweet +2 to Str at creation.

It shouldnt take you long if you really are interested.
I’ve been in or read all of them. No one was called racist, though a few folks cried wolf or got defensive about discussions of essentialism, and one guy got real weird about @Hurin88 ‘s username and another guy implied that me being knowledgeable about white supremacist linguistic and symbolic cyphers was an indication that I “live in the wrong places” or that I am somehow doing something wrong with my life. 😂
The post below says using ASIs is "racist essentialism". Is that close enough? I wouldn't be surprised if there are posts in that or similar threads where someone defending them is personally being implied or said to be a racist after a back and forth that may have pulled in other things. I'm not going back through some of the threads to find them (googling ASI essentialism enworld would give a start). I'm not sure it's worth working that hard to get this thread locked.

Oof. Nah. That absolutely is not an example of someone being called a racist for liking racial mechanics.

I’ve spoken in favor of racial ASIs in nearly every thread on the subject, while also defending those who dislike them, so it’s not like I just didn’t notice. I know exactly which exchanges you’re referring to, and they don’t fit the bill.

HammerMan

Legend
The thing is, you're not playing "a race." You're playing an individual of a race. It may very well be that elves don't make good barbarians and halflings don't make good wizards (or whatever). But that doesn't, and shouldn't, mean that your PC is mechanically limited. It also doesn't, and shouldn't, mean that I as a DM can't decide that in this world, elves are a barbaric people and halflings are accomplished magic-users.
yeah stories are full of "that one dwarven wizard" or "The really strong halfling fighter" we don't need all members of any race to be flexable we need PCs to be.

I doubt many (maybe none) people would be mad with "Most elves are more dexterous and more wise than Most humans but not as healthy" or "Most half orcs are ugly" or "Most dwarves do not have a talent for magic" or even going off race and to sex "Most men have more upper body strength than most woman"
We just don't want forced stat deploment or penelties when PCs play them.

"My clumsy kinda dense elven barbarian" and "My sexy half orc bard" and "My dwarven mage" all need to be as good as any other character at the table (or could be at the table)

Jen's Halfing woman with a 20str doesn't disprove that "Most halfings are weaker than humans and mist men have more upper body strength than men" If just says "This PC is well beyond sterotypes"

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
no, the amount you spend on RPGs as an adult (both time and money) mean there is something wrong with your life... but we all are in that glass house together so I am putting down the stones ;) :unsure::ROFLMAO:
Hah don’t remind me!

The one nice thing about a small apartment and disliking clutter is that there isn’t room for more minis or to get into terrain, at least!

Remathilis

Legend
Leonin are in an official 5e book by WotC. It feels like that makes them a D&D race to me.
My point is that leonin aren't going to be seen outside the MTG settings while tabaxi are going to be in settings like Eberron or Forgotten Realms. Similar to how warforged are a race in 5e but limited to Eberron unless the DM says otherwise. Leonin can live comfortably as the MTG settings cat race with no other differential from tabaxi.

Remove ads

Remove ads