• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a 2 weapon PrC

wyrmul

Explorer
I have been going through my WotC books looking for a PrC for a two weapon focused character. I have a ranger/rogue at 12th level that has most of his feats improving 2 weapon fighting. Most of the PrC's seem to be focused on Dodge & Mobility based trees.

Have I missed one? Or are there no WotC classes?

If not could anyone suggest a non broken 3rd party PrC (I know it is a strech)?

The_If

First Post
Look at Tempest(page 81 of Complete Adventurer), at the end of the 5 level PrC you take no penalty for dual wielding light weapons.

Pre-Requisites: bab>=6, dodge, mobility, spring attack, Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Two Weapon Fighting.

wyrmul

Explorer
Sorry I wasn't very clear in my original post. Both if which require the dodge/mobility/spring attack tree, which as I do not have. At this point without adding a third multiclass into fighter for the bonus feats I would not be able to qualify for either of those prestige classes until after level 20.

The character is built as the party tracker and to support the party rogue. Mostly he is focused on those skills the rogue is not focused on and setting up flanking. So he took feats that upped his defense (almost always fights defensively), tumble, and 2 weapon fighting. Taking spring attack would have worked against that purpose.

Is that all? Tempest and Dervish are the only two classes that feed two weapon fighting?

insanogeddon

First Post
Always a way !

A dnd disease that 3.0 created and 4.0 ain't fixed is this issue that basically you HAVE to immerse in metagame and reverse engineer your character or this arises.

What are your Feats and Race ?
Does your DM allow feat retraining ?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It depends upon what you want to do.

1) Any PrCl that generally improves the damage output of your weapons could help with 2WF- Kensai, Frenzied Berserker, Pyrokineticist etc.

2) What weapons does your guy use?

Some PrCls will help with particular weapons, like the Exotic Weapons Master or Invisible Blade.

OTOH, if you add a reach weapon (Spear, Glaive, Greatspear, etc.) and spiked armor or IUC to your arsenal, you're going to be fighting 2WS anyway if/when someone closes inside of the reach weapon's threat zone. This, of course, leads you back to the first suggestion I made.

If your guy goes Sword & Board 2WF, there are some "guardian" type PrCls out there as well.

3) Look for a PrCl that, instead of building on your PC's strengths, shores up his weaknesses.

4)
Look for a PrCl that brings a new dimension to your PC. The Shou Disciple is a 5 level PrCl that eventually lets a PC FoB with any weapon. No, levels in Monk aren't a prereq, and yes, Armor use is permitted.

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
There's the Mirumoto Niten Master in Oriental Adventures, page 218 (the 3e version). Full BAB, high Fort and Will, d10 HD, 2 skill points per level, and an AC bonus as they advance in level by using their off-hand wakizashi like a shield. It's not that good for a TWFer unless you focus on AC-boosts, but it gives a minor boost for aiding Shugenja (the OA class that is a cross between sorcerer, cleric, and druid), and gains Diamond Soul at 8th-level, for Spell Resistance similar to a monk's. Not quite as good, though. Outside of OA campaigns, however, it's probably not worthwhile.

The Dragon Swordmaster is a variant of that PrC, from the Rokugan book by AEG (for 3.0 D&D). It's better suited to TWF, due to its class features, though it still has a sort of mystical 8th-level ability (related to void points, a mechanic from that book). Like the Niten Master, it focuses on the katana and wakizashi (bastard sword and short sword). Page 68 of the Rokugan book.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Which reminds me, the CompWar version of the Samurai base class is kind of focused on 2WF. I don't know if it offers you anything you can use, but I'd be remiss not pointing it out.

The_If

First Post
Remember, everything in game (skills, classes, races, whatever) is changeable by the DM. Everything coming from WotC or Dragon Magazine is just inspiration of the story you exist in or are telling. If you think tempest is mostly within the flavor of your character, change the bit that isn't. Since you aren't taking the Spring Attack Tree(SAT), but you are taking the Improved Two Weapon Fighting Tree(ITWFT), build or rebuild based around that.

These are a few concepts I have rolling in my head for a Tempest minus SAT. Since they are missing SAT, it makes no sense for them to the fifth level bonus feat of Two Weapon Spring Attack.

Cleaving tempest:
Requirement: Power Attack, Cleave, (maybe great cleave), ITWFT, BAB=6+.
Supreme Cleave (Ex) said:
Beginning at 5th level, an Cleaving Tempest can take a 5-foot step between attacks when using the Cleave or Great Cleave feat.She is still limited to one such adjustment per round, so she cannot use this ability during a round in which she has already taken a 5-foot step.(Copied from Complete Warrior page 35)

Ranging Tempest:
Requirement:2 Favored Enemies, ITWFT, BAB=6+.
Additional Favored Enemy said:
Level 5:Just look at the ranger entry in PHB1. Treat it exactly the same way. (PHB1, page 47)

Flanking Tempest:
Requirements:Weapon finesse(Some other stuff?), ITWFT, BAB=6+.
:Improved Flanking (Ex) said:
A Flanking Tempest of 5th level who is flanking an opponent gains a +4 bonus on attacks instead of a +2 bonus on attacks. (Other characters flanking with the Tempest don’t gain this increased bonus.(copied from Complete Warrior page 12)

Note: These have not been tested for balance, clear everything with your DM before planning on it. Make any additional changes you wish.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads