LOST - Wednesday 10/05/05 9:00 PM EDT

WayneLigon

Adventurer
WizarDru said:
1) The Swan's watchmen were pretty damn well-armed. If it was a hoax, a Spinner cage, why would you give them heavy artillery? Associated thought: The Survivors are now packing a sizable variety of hardware. Presumably Hansoo provided it.

Maybe it was also meant as a big version of the Stanford Prison Experiment :) That would be pretty cool.

Steverooo

First Post
Cutter XXIII said:
It's the island.

The orientation film mentions "electromagnetic emanations" from this sector of the island. Obviously, the island itself has significance beyond what the Hanso Foundation has been doing in the past 25-35 years. What about the Black Rock? Obviously it ran aground long ago (I think the "Others" are the descendants of the Black Rock's crew).

The island is actually a landmass-sized chunk of an alien spacecraft that crashed hundreds of millions of years ago. Now it's all encusted with earth and foliage, etc., so it looks like an island. It might not even be connected to the sea floor ("The Swan" floating upon the waves); or if it is connected, it might be anchored electromagnetically. Hell, maybe not pressing the button will cause the island to come off its "mooring" and cause untold damage to the Hanso Foundation labs that are no doubt hidden all over the island. Aw, now I'm ramblin'.

Well, maybe you iz, an' maybe you isn't, but even if you is, it don't mean you're wrong!

Again, the "They're on an alien space station" theory was proposed in season one, as that comic book of Hugo's that Walt was reading took place on one, as well...

With this show, who knows? :p

Here's another thought, or a couple:

The strange EM effects of the island cause compasses to vear off, near the island. We know that the one Locke gave Sayid, last season, surely did. This could help explain why various ships and planes wind up here...

Also, perhaps the code hasn't been entered, on time, several times, over the years... An EMP (Electro-magnetic pulse) would wipe out all the electronics (unless heavily shielded, depending upon the power of the pulse), and would certainly explain modern ships and planes (with electronic instrumentation) going down, or wrecking. A simple trawler (which is what the boat that captured Walt looked like), and a shielded broadcast station might be able to survive the EMP (the trawler's engines certainly would).

Maybe the "disease" that Danielle Rouseau & Desmond are so worried about is radiation poisoning from a bomb, on countdown? :p

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Steverooo said:
Well, maybe you iz, an' maybe you isn't, but even if you is, it don't mean you're wrong!

Again, the "They're on an alien space station" theory was proposed in season one, as that comic book of Hugo's that Walt was reading took place on one, as well...

With this show, who knows? :p

Here's another thought, or a couple:

The strange EM effects of the island cause compasses to vear off, near the island. We know that the one Locke gave Sayid, last season, surely did. This could help explain why various ships and planes wind up here...

Also, perhaps the code hasn't been entered, on time, several times, over the years... An EMP (Electro-magnetic pulse) would wipe out all the electronics (unless heavily shielded, depending upon the power of the pulse), and would certainly explain modern ships and planes (with electronic instrumentation) going down, or wrecking. A simple trawler (which is what the boat that captured Walt looked like), and a shielded broadcast station might be able to survive the EMP (the trawler's engines certainly would).

Maybe the "disease" that Danielle Rouseau & Desmond are so worried about is radiation poisoning from a bomb, on countdown? :p
Philadelphia Experiment on a stationary mass, the island, could result in the island being unlocked in time, invisiblity, and cause mental problems due to the EMP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Experiment

Last edited:

WizarDru

Adventurer
Steverooo said:

Desmond doesn't know what he's afraid of...but his partner clearly filled him with the fear of it. Danielle, on the other hand, was a scientist...I think she'd know the difference between a disease and poisoning when she saw it, crazy or not.

fett527

First Post
Cutter XXIII said:
...Another note:

At the end of the film, the speaker says "Namaste. Good luck." I have spoken to a friend who spent several years in Japan, and has taken numerous language courses. He says "namaste" is not a commonly-used word in social interactions.

So I google'd it, and found that it is a Hindu term. Here's Deepak Chopra's definition:

See more interesting correlations here: http://www.mlmgorilla.com/namaste/

Yes, this is also on the Hanso site:

ACCESS DENIED: HANSO FOUNDATION PROPRIETARY INFORMATION

You do not have permission to access this data. Access to information on this project is restricted to authorized employees of The Hanso Foundation and upper-tier board members of The Hanso Holding Company.

For further information please contact The Hanso Foundation Public Relations Department.

Thank you. Namaste. Good Luck.

Fast Learner

First Post
"Namaste" is very commonly used in New Age circles today, and was not uncommon in hippie cultures of the 60s and 70s, fyi.

If the countdown timer is a Skinner box, then it's quite possible that your "partner" always "dies"/disappears/whatever shortly after the experiment begins.

The psych ward patient that gives Hurley the numbers doesn't have to have been Desmond's partner: he could have been anyone who was subjected to the experiment in the last 25 years.

KaosDevice

Explorer
I'm really leaning towards the Others as being former Hanso subjects that has gone mental or are at best following long outdated mission objectives.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Cthulhudrew said:
That's probably because that's who it was. :)

Well my point being, if it is him, then he is a survivor from the tail section of the plane. I doubt he was the one piloting the crashed drug plane Locke and Boon find, which is what other people seem to be implying.

Remove ads