[M&M] Shadowrun [Recruiting]

perrinmiller

Adventurer
I would prefer PL 6 with 90 PP.

The sample soldier is PL 5 and the SWAT Officer is PL 6 in the supporting class chapter. So I think PL 6 for the main characters of the story fits better, IMHO.
OK, PL6 then. I hadn't looked in the supporting character section yet, probably should have.:p

Just to clarify - are you planning on running superheroes in a Shadowrun setting, or are you trying to replicate Shadowrun Archetypes using True20?
No Superheroes, build characters similar to SR Archetypes to capture the flavor of the setting. After finally seeing what Friday was doing with Malazan it made more sense. He is doing something similar, running a D&D style game with the M&M Rule Set. It actually simplifies things, at the expense of just forgetting about the minutia. Don't worry about carrying all that extra little equipment and many different stats are just tossed out. Found a healing potion, great. When you use it, it just puts you back to normal, since you don't have HP, you don't need to worry how many it cured.

For True 20 you would have to add complex rules for Cybernetics, Shadowrun like magic, ... .

In M&M, you can just build, using the core rules and just add a 'cybernetic' or 'magic' descriptor. I also like PL caps more than levels with rigid structures for skill points, how many feats, starting feats, level based saves...
After going through the Shadowrun d20 Core Rules Conversion, essentially that's what they did. Used XP to buy everything. It was fairly complicated and then Magic wasn't really working the same in the end. Throwing in all of the rules from different d20 sources you can cover Magic and Cybernetics, but it is complicated and doesn't have the Shadowrun flavor at all. After delving a little into M&M, I saw exactly what WD was talking about and it would appear to be more fun and easier to do.

The feat Improved Initiative is a good example. For an Adept it is labeled as Magical enhancement. For a Street Samurai it is a Cybernetic Implant. Maybe for normal people, they cannot get it any other way. Riggers would invest in Device Powers.

To me Deckers are the one where it would possibly be tricky, mainly because I was not a fan of them (translation: little ignorant of them) and due to their Solo nature. I think they would have to invest in a Device Power that has certain Skill-like powers that are specifically for running the matrix. Essentially boiling down decking into a series of skill challenges, instead of a mini-scenario. In the PBP environment, that would keep the rest of the group from being left out too long, since those Skill checks could be done in 2-3 exchanges.

But this idea is a work in progress and we would love to have you join in Hero, and you input can help us refine the idea. Also I have the impression that you and WD have more experience with SR than I do as well. I may be only one step up the ladder from VV and he had to Wiki SR to know what we are talking about.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Heh, I don't mind helping out at all. Shadowrun was the first "modern" RPG I ever played, and I even own a 3rd edition Shadowrun Core sourcebook. I fondly remember the "Food Fight" scenario. Of course, what I DON'T own is a M&M book. I may have to 'procure' one somehow...

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Hey All, I worked up an Archetype for Street Samurai, based on PL-6 (90PP). It is constructed using the SR 4thEd Archetype as best I could.
[sblock=Street Samurai]Abilities (24PP)
Str 16, Dex 18, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 10

Saves (8PP)
Tough +5, Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +4

Combat (14PP)
Initiative +12 (2PP from Feats)
Defense +6/3FF (8PP +2 Dodge from Feats)
Attack +3 (6PP)
+5 Unarmed
+5 Automatics
+7 with Smartgun

Skills (14PP)
Knowledge (Safe Houses) 3 ranks
Knowledge (Firearms) 6 ranks
Knowledge (Zen Meditation) 3 ranks
Acrobatics 6 ranks
Climb 6 ranks
Gather Info 4 ranks
Diplomacy 4 ranks
Drive 4 ranks
Notice 8 ranks
Stealth 4 ranks
Swim 6 ranks
Language (English) 1 rank
Language (Japanese) 1 rank

Feats/Powers (30PP)
Cyber Eyes: Low-light/Darkvision/Flash Supression (3PP)
Wired Reflexes (Imp Initiative 2) (2PP)
Wired Reflexes (+2 Reflex) (spent above)
High Pain Threshold (+2 Tough & Fort) (spent above)
Guts (+2 Will) (Spent Above)
Muscle Replacement (+4 Str) (spent above)
Dermal Plating (+2 Def) (spent above)
Dodge +2 (2PP)
Contacts (1PP)
Attack Specialization 1 (SMGs +2) (1PP)
Attack Specialization 1 (Unarmed +2) (1PP)
Attack Specialization 1 (Swords +2) (1PP)
Improved Aim (Smartlink) (1PP)
Precise Shot (Smartlink) (1PP)
Device 3 (Smartlinked SMG) (9PP)
- Blast 6 (12pp)
- Accurate 2 (+4)(2pp)
- Precise (1pp)
Equipment +8 (8PP)[/sblock]
Let me know what you think.

I also worked up something for the SR Meta-humans, based on translating SR, not using Warriors and Warlocks (which might make more sense).
Orks (4PP) Con +3, Cha -1, Str +2, Int -1, Low-light vision
Dwarves (6PP) Con +1, Dex -1, Str +2, Wis +1, Darkvision, +2 Fort vs. Poison only, Feature 1 (longevity)
Elves (7PP) Dex +2, Cha +2, Low-light vision, Attractive, Feature 1 (longevity)
Trolls (13PP) Growth 4 (Bonus Str +8, Con +4, Large creature), Dex -2, Cha -2, Int -2, Darkvision, Def +1

Walking Dad

First Post
Races look good. Here is how W&W simulates dwarf physiology:

Density 1 (Continuous; Permanent; Innate)
Feature 1 (Longevity)
Shrinking 1 (Compression, Continuous; Permanent; Innate)
Super-Senses 1 (Infravision)

Your Street Samurai build breaks the caps.
At +7 & Blast Dam 6 = PL 6.5.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Thanks WD. I did see that in W&W afterward, but SR's vision of the meta-humans are different. I am not sure which would be better.

I realized that the Attack vs. Damage is maybe off. I am not sure how that works yet, as I barely know what I am doing so far. What would a normal SMG do?

Maybe a smartlinked gun is a Device 1, allowing the Accuracy and Precision. Can you put regular feats on the Device? Perhaps Precise Shot only applies with the Smartlinked weapon.

Walking Dad

First Post
From Agents of Freedom

Code:
[FONT=Courier New]Weapon              Damage     Critical  Range Increment  Size  Cost
Submachine Gun  +4 Ballistic      20         40 ft.      Medium  12[/FONT]

Actually, I would buy is as a 'Cyberware Container' and make a
Drawback: Improved Aim (Smartlink) (1PP) and Precise Shot (Smartlink) (1PP) only work with guns with smartlink. (Total cost 1PP)

And the gun would be equipment, not a device. with the charge of 1 extra equipment point cost for the smartlink.

Walking Dad

First Post
PL would be unaffected by my above suggestions. But there are optiolnal rules in "Agents of Freedom" to allow weapons to break the PL cap a bit. W&W also has rules to limit max rank for sneak attack and similar feats, but to allow them to break PL. I could look up the specifics, if needed.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
OK. Found what you are talking about in Agents of Freedom. Firearms range from +3 to +7 on the damage. Having a High attack would seem appropriate for a Shadowrunner with a smartlinked gun.

So base Attack of +4, then Attack Specializations 2 (Automatic Weapons) so +8 Attack with an SMG. SMG damage rating is +4, balancing at PL6.0. But same guy gets an Assault Rifle at +5, then he is at PL6.5? What about a masterwork weapons (+1 to Attack)? They also can bump it higher. I get it for Superhero Powers for game balance, but for equipment things get fuzzy.

I do see that using a rocket launcher with +10 damage would be unfair to for a PL 6 character with a base Attack of +5. Makes some sense to apply an attack penalty for using an unfamiliar weapon.

What about Melee weapons? Sword +3 damage, then you add in Str Modifier right? That would be +6, thus he cannot have a +6 or higher Attack. Also to use the Str modifier, do you have to add the Mighty Feat 3 to get full advantage of Str Bonus? That seems weird. Makes sense for Comp Longbow's in D&D needing it designed to take advantage of different strength, but a sword or club?

I dunno, maybe the it's the balancing concept that's getting me. Maybe it is artificial to get things balanced and it's not supposed to be based on reality. The M&M rules are supposed to be comic book like.

I am hoping to learn this more by playing Malazan, but I have the impression we are playing a little loose with the rules in Friday's game.

Edit: OK looking at the Mastermind Manual on some optional rules, it would appear that in a setting with more equipment usage than supernatural powers, you can skip the calculation to balance Attack vs. Defense. But you add in Weapon and Armor Proficiencies to compensate as well. I will take another swing at the Street Samurai.

Last edited:

Remove ads