D&D General Magitech and Science Fantasy are Fundamental to D&D

So, is that the 2d20 one or the 3rd edition Dungeons and Dragons one? Is there a 5th edition Dungeons and Dragons one?

I played the 2d20 one once at a convention.

I don't even bother to buy the books anymore. I just feel it would be a waste of money and shelf space. Especially since they are appreciating in value. It would seem that a lot of people want to collect them, but not many people want to play it. At least not people I know.

Zardnaar

Legend
Kinda neutral on it. I wouldn't claim it's fundamental to the game but things like Eberron and Barrier Peaks don't offend me or elements of it in Midgard/Golarion.

teitan

Legend
I don't agree with the extent to which it has applied today. D&D has always sort of existed in this vaguely 13-15th century Europe but some weird stuff does exist that today we have tossed into the sci fi or science fantasy band wagon when it doesn't really belong there either. Adventures like Barrier Peaks (was it?) weren't common in the first 25 years of D&D not was it really common place in 3.x with Eberron being an exception and some of the aspects of the Realms like Lantan. The Realms material fit within the visionary works of Da Vinci and/or the fantastical stories of the time period and the gnomes of Dragonlance inventions were failures more often than not. It wasn't "magitech". In Greyhawk it was a crashed space ship but the setting itself was not science fiction, it was straight fantasy with the Lovecraft elements becoming a more defined part of it in 3e.

I don't personally have an issue with it until the word "essential" or "fundamental" comes into play. It isn't essential. The attempted toolkit nature of 2e tried to make D&D a game that it did not work well as under those rule sets and 3.x was more successful at encouraging. As the game has evolved since then its become a fun element but I would not call it essential by any stretch.

Some players would rather some thing style low-level of magic and sword&sorcery, but others love to add some touchs of sci-fi.

I have suggested some times Gamma World should be added to the M:tG+D&D Universe, but the high tech can break the power balance too easily in the game

The magictech can alter radically the society and battlefield. For example a crossbow with a motor to reload itself, or a war chariot with a motor would mean the end of chavalry.

And all the political powers wanted the most advanced magictech.

Lots of factions wouldn't wellcome the advanced tech, for example dragons and giants, because they can be defeated by smaller humanoids thanks that.

And even if this was allowed, the normal people would fear. Why? If you remember Stephen King's "Christine" or "Maximum Overdrive" you could imagine the level of menace if a ghost or an infernal outsider could control one of those machines. A true walking nightmare.

The sheens, the biomecanical horror from Dragon Magazine, should return.

Mystara had got a flying island of tinker gnomes.

Last year my players stepped through a portal onto the bridge of the Enterprise (deserted). Complete with authentic sound effects, since we where on a VTT. I've run several adventures based on old Doctor Who stories, including ships trapped on the ethereal plane.

Since the 1980s I've always run D&D with heavy science fiction (and pop culture) influences. And it was never remotely pseudo-historical. I knew too much actual history for me to ever consider D&D in that light. But then I prefer science fiction to fantasy generally. But I think D&D's strength is its flexibility. It doesn't do everything well, but it is good for a wide range of genres.

It goes the other way too. Also in the 80s, I had a party of AD&D characters transported into the superhero RPG we where playing (Golden Heroes). You know what, even 1st edition AD&D characters are superpowered when you drop them into something resembling the real world!

Last edited:

briggart

Adventurer
I don't have a fixed line for what level of scifi is acceptable in my games. Back in 2E, even before the revised boxed set came out, my Dark Sun campaign had a subplot foreshadowing the upcoming invasion of biotechnological space halflings, which apparently was something TSR was actually considering for the official line.

Barring out of context scenarios, like an alien invasion or the return of not-Atlantis, what matters to me is that blending of different elements makes sense in the internal logic of the setting, otherwise it feels like the 60' dragon waiting in the single entrance dungeon room at the end of the 10'x10' corridor.

I like Eberron because I can see the effort that went into making sure all the bits and pieces fit organically in the setting, but Revel's End/Prisoner 13 (from what I read in the other thread, haven't actually played it) gives me more of a tone dissonance with the rest of the setting and it feels like it would break my immersion. Admittedly, it's mostly a matter of taste where the line falls.

the Hollywood mishmash of Arthurian epics and its near cousins of Robin Hood and Ivanhoe and the rest.
I would point to Ivanhoe as the start of it all. Scott's Victorian novel was immensely popular in it's day, and was a big influence on the 30s-60s Hollywood trend for Knights in shining armour movies, which in turn influenced early D&D.

It's hard to imagine Tolkien never read it. It's easy to imagine he hated it!

And, of course, Robin Hood is in it!

Aldarc

Legend
7a4iv5.jpg

I love science-fantasy. I grew up on '80s science fantasy: e.g., Thundarr the Barbarian, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Thundercats, Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light, Star Wars, etc. It may be one of my favorite genres, and I actually think that it is woefully underrepresented in TTRPGs. I was definitely the target audience, for example, for Wil Wheaton's Titansgrave or Monte Cook's Numenera on that basis alone.

I was even thinking about how I would love to see something more like a science-fantasy version of Ravenloft or MtG's Innistrad. A futuristic science-fantasy setting, preferrably in the vein of the aforementioned '80s sci-fantasy, with supernatural horror elements like vampires, werewolves, undead, mad science monsters, etc. Is there a setting like that?*

* Not you, Shadowrun.

Remove ads