D&D 5E Making Sneak Attack allow more weapons

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
So no one has gone with Halberd, Pollarm Master, Great Weapon Master, with a dip into fighter for great weapon fighting? You now have two attacks -5 to hit +10 to damage and you reroll 1s and 2s for the sneak attack dice. Variant Human allows this at 5th level.
The -5 to hit +10 to damage is just straight-up a bad choice for a rogue in almost all cases. Two attacks is something rogues can already get with dual-wielding or crossbow mastery. Rerolling 1s and 2s is very strong. If you’re worried about that, maybe require the weapon to be light or to not be two-handed or versatile.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
So no one has gone with Halberd, Pollarm Master, Great Weapon Master, with a dip into fighter for great weapon fighting? You now have two attacks -5 to hit +10 to damage and you reroll 1s and 2s for the sneak attack dice. Variant Human allows this at 5th level.
Well, it isn't really a "dip" if you are getting two attacks unless you just mean the reaction attack from PAM. Most of the time, you'll only be getting one attack per turn. To maximize the odds of landing the sneak attack, many rogues use two-weapon fighting for this reason and it is why no rogue subclass gets Extra Attack.

Also, even on the d6's, the GWF style raises your average from 3.5 to 4.167, or 2/3 a point per die. Even with a 10d6 sneak attack this is only 6.67 damage. And most rogues generally won't get above 5d6, so you are only talking 3, maybe 4, points of damage gained.

Now, unless you have advantage, the -5 to attack also means you will miss your sneak attacks more than the +10 benefit is worth.

While it might seem like a potent combination, it isn't really that effective and you are doing it at the expense of two feats and a fighter level. Also, at 5th level, that fighter dip is costing you a d6 of sneak attack, about 2 points of damage typically, making the GWF style even less impactful.

NotAYakk

Legend
I removed the Finesse weapon restriction for Sneak Attack completely. Rogues can fight dirty with any weapon with which they are proficient.

It hasn't broken anything.
PAM with semi-reliable off-turn sneak attack is a bit too narrow+strong for me here.

If you can arrange for off-turn advantage and PAM, enemies who approach get a sneak attack, then again on the rogue's turn.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
PAM with semi-reliable off-turn sneak attack is a bit too narrow+strong for me here.

If you can arrange for off-turn advantage and PAM, enemies who approach get a sneak attack, then again on the rogue's turn.
But that's part of the problem, how can you arrange for off-turn advantage? Nothing immediately comes to mind...

Now, if the target is within 5 feet of an enemy when it enters your reach, that would do it I would think.

NotAYakk

Legend
But that's part of the problem, how can you arrange for off-turn advantage? Nothing immediately comes to mind...

Now, if the target is within 5 feet of an enemy when it enters your reach, that would do it I would think.
Lots of ways? Familiar aiding, darkness and trusight, faerie fire, invisibility.

It does require a bit of support, but not insane amounts.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Lots of ways? Familiar aiding, darkness and trusight, faerie fire, invisibility.

It does require a bit of support, but not insane amounts.
Sorry, I was thinking more in lines of what the rogue might be doing himself and would be consistent for the build. Faerie fire is probably the best bet for an Arcane Trickster but relies on a failed save. Familiar aiding would help, too, but can depend on initiative order (if the target is going between it and you).

Things like invisibility are once only (unless Greater), and with darkness you can't see them so that would cancel your advantage with disadvantage.

I'm not saying those aren't good ideas or ways to accomplish it, I was just thinking more... reliable?

Personally, I find Sentinel as one of the best ways for rogues to get OA sneak attack and you could use it often enough unless you are fighting something solo. Still depends a lot on the situation though...

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I'd be more concerned with the fighter 5 using this build than the fighter1/rogue 4.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Well, it isn't really a "dip" if you are getting two attacks unless you just mean the reaction attack from PAM. Most of the time, you'll only be getting one attack per turn. To maximize the odds of landing the sneak attack, many rogues use two-weapon fighting for this reason and it is why no rogue subclass gets Extra Attack.
I think they’re talking about the bonus action 1d4 bludgeoning attack from PAM.

Horwath

Legend
Just have it with any weapon. It will not break anything.

Also using -5/+10 with sneak attack is losing DPR in 90% of the cases.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases