Martial Power: Animal Commands Q.

Filcher

First Post
Deepest apologies if this was already asked, so feel free to mock me. I need to save up my pennies for a community sponsor account so I can get the search function.

Anyhow, using the beastmaster rules for the martial power ranger. You give up your standard action to command a beast buddy to do his standard action.

I couldn't find an indication if this was every round or not. Every round = super weak (i.e. I'm always giving up my attack to get the bear to do his thing) but I couldn't find clear guidelines as to when I needed to give a command. At the start of combat? Anytime Smokey manages to down someone? ("Good work! Here's a Scooby snack! Now attack that other kobold!") etc.

That, and RAW seems to indicate that, even if attacked, Smokey will just stand there and hang, until I go unconscious, at which point he will open a can of whup. Almost makes sense for me to feign unconsciousness to get the best use out of my bear.

Help?

Tale

First Post
The Beast is the conduit for your attacks. So, yes, you do give up your standard every time you want it to attack instead of yourself.

Unless you have a specific power that says otherwise.

Maleketh

First Post
Tale's right, and there's a very compelling reason that the rules work that way: economy of actions. basically, if you get more actions per round than somebody else (such as through an animal companion) you are almost always going to have a significant advantage over your fellows, and game balance goes out the window.

That doesn't mean beast companions aren't worthwhile, though. They're en extra sink for enemy attacks, as well as an extra opportunity for flanking. They give you more targeting options in battle, and allow you to produce some impressive damage (via powers with the Beast keyword).

Filcher

First Post
Mmm.... thanks for the replies. You're right about the economy of actions.

Interestingly, I wonder if a subtle, but powerful, feature of a beast buddy is that it can protect from flanking, at least along one axis. Yes, I can use Smokey to flank, but I can also use him to cover me when the skirmishers come a'callin'.

SilverAgent

First Post
Another benefit is he can soak up damage. If you and he are ganging up and both are doing damage, saying you attack using one power, next round the bear doing another, and so on -- the enemy isn't likely to just pound on you (at least, unless he's a really smart foe who knows animals or the GM is being a dick). So that lessens the damage you take in combat.

Remove ads