Metal School

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
For your Metal School experience, might I suggest the movie "Metal Lords" on NetFlix? I appreciate that they didn't take the usual high school romance narrative route too. (You'll know it when you see it.)
I’m not on Netflix, but I’m still curious. What’s it about?

Ryujin

Legend
I’m not on Netflix, but I’m still curious. What’s it about?
A couple of high school kids decide to put together a Metal band. They want to get into the Battle of the Bands but need a bass guitar player, since a two man group just doesn't fly. Introduce new (Scottish?) girl in school who plays the cello. Despite pretty much being YA fare, I very much enjoyed it.

EDIT - Hopefully this trailer isn't region locked:

Ulfgeir

Hero
Have been listening to the band The Warning a lot lately. 3 sisters from Monterrey in Mexico.

They got their big breakthrough with this cover back in 2013 (the basist was 9, the drummer 12, and the singer 14 when they did this):

And it impressed Metallica enough that they got to do an official cover on the anniversary-album for the Black Album.
So here is one of their own songs from their latest CD.. They hopefully have a long career in front of them, since they are so good.

Last edited:

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
New band!

You may have heard of Killer Dwarfs, but are you ready for…GNOME!?!
1650248070830.png

New band!

You may have heard of Killer Dwarfs, but are you ready for…GNOME!?!
I LOVED me some KillerDwarfs. Especially liked it when they all used the last name Dwarf on the first album. Russ was what, 4' 11", 5' ? Made Ronnie James Dio look tall. Their music videos were always fun to watch on Headbanger's Ball at 1 am on MTV. You know, when they actually played music videos..

I've encountered a lot of instances where non metal songs have been covered as metal songs, are there any bands that do this the other way around and record non-metal covers of metal songs? In particular, is there anyone who does non-metal covers of death metal and grindcore songs? I can't hear a single word of Eaten Back to Life or It Just Gets Worse or any other albums like that, and I feel that the songs on these albums would work better as pop or lounge music or possibly beat poetry

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've encountered a lot of instances where non metal songs have been covered as metal songs, are there any bands that do this the other way around and record non-metal covers of metal songs? In particular, is there anyone who does non-metal covers of death metal and grindcore songs? I can't hear a single word of Eaten Back to Life or It Just Gets Worse or any other albums like that, and I feel that the songs on these albums would work better as pop or lounge music or possibly beat poetry
I don’t know of anyone doing that with grindcore or death metal music, sorry.

But there’s definitely some quality non-metal covers of metal tubes out there. Alex Skolnick (Testament) has a jazz trio that does original jazz music and covers of metal tunes.

Rodrigo y Gabriela started off as members of a metal band, then found success as an acoustic/flamenco duo. They often cover metal tunes. They’ve also appeared with Alex Skolinick for concerts.

Postmodern Jukebox does retro style (40s and earlier) covers of a variety of music, including metal tunes.

Brass Against has done at least one metal cover-Tool’s “The Pot”.

There’s a bunch of YouTube videos of “Trve Kvlt” instrumental surf guitar music versions of dozens of metal songs. They were done with the conceit of these tunes being done back in the 50s-60s, according to the video information.

Last edited:

Remove ads