Metal School

I got into metal in junior high school and discovered doom metal in my early years of high school (I had gotten into Death Metal, and liked the guitar but never really got too into he growl, so doom was an appealing alternative for me). Candlemass the first I heard of doom, and I loved them, but the two bands that really resonated with me early on were Cathedral:

And Solitude Aeturnus:

The harmonies they used on power chords were something I ether hadn't heard or noticed before (those harmonies definitely show up elsewhere but I just never heard them used that way or that low). It introduced a whole new way of playing music to me. And the themes were also of more interest to me.

WIth Cathedral, if you haven't heard them, I really recommend that first album "Forest Equilibrium". I hadn't heard an album that slow and weighty before (I wasn't as into their movie into faster, funkier stuff after the Soul Sacrifice EP, but I also understand they made their point with this one going about as slow as you reasonably can without getting dull). The big Solitude Aeturnus album for me was Beyond the Crimson Horizon. This lead me down the rabbit whole of finding older doom bands like Saint Vitus.

Ryujin

Legend
I've encountered a lot of instances where non metal songs have been covered as metal songs, are there any bands that do this the other way around and record non-metal covers of metal songs? In particular, is there anyone who does non-metal covers of death metal and grindcore songs? I can't hear a single word of Eaten Back to Life or It Just Gets Worse or any other albums like that, and I feel that the songs on these albums would work better as pop or lounge music or possibly beat poetry
This is the first thing that came to mind, when I read your question. For some reason I'm drawing a blank on the group that Puddles has done some collaberations with who do Jazz covers of various songs. Maybe someone else will remember?

EDIT - Just remembered; Postmodern Jukebox is the group.

Just dropping by with this early '80s memory. I would occasionally see this gorgeous, tiny (about 5'-nothing) creature around our local shopping mall, the Bramalea City Centre. Later in life she started singing Torch Songs and showed that she actually had one hell of a voice.

Sabina Classen of Holy Moses was another great 80s female vocalist (she had a pretty interesting style too; I don't recall many female singers using this type of vocals back them: might just not have encountered them):

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I've encountered a lot of instances where non metal songs have been covered as metal songs, are there any bands that do this the other way around and record non-metal covers of metal songs? In particular, is there anyone who does non-metal covers of death metal and grindcore songs? I can't hear a single word of Eaten Back to Life or It Just Gets Worse or any other albums like that, and I feel that the songs on these albums would work better as pop or lounge music or possibly beat poetry
Is Apocalyptica still metal, just in cello?

Mad_Jack

Legend
This is the symphonic metal super-group Exit Eden, who put out a single album called Rhapsodies in Black back in 2017.
The purpose of the album was to do metal covers of pop songs. :cool:
(Apparently, the videos for the songs are supposed to tell a story when all viewed in the right order...)

Between them, Amanda Somerville, Clémentine Delauney, and Marina La Torraca have sung with bands/shows such as Avantasia, Epica, Archenemy, Melted Space, Trillium, Kamelot, Phantom Elite, Visions of Atlantis, and Serenity. Anna Brunner is the relative newcomer in the group.

"Paparazzi" by lady Gaga, "Frozen" by Madonna, "Incomplete" by The Backstreet Boys, and "Unfaithful" by Rihanna

Remove ads