Metal School

Zardnaar

Legend
Where does The Cult fit in? Old skool or something else?

Quite like this song and didn't discover it to around 1996.

Came out more or less the same time as grunge. Oops.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’d consider The Cult to be a (great) hard rock band, right on the edge of old-school metal, with a good dose of goth thrown in.

I never got to see them, but actually HEARD most of an arena show they did in San Antonio* while I was sitting on a walkway between two dormitories, with bats flying overhead. By a trick of acoustics, it couldn’t be heard on most of the campus.

* sometime in the fall of 87, 88, or 89.

Herschel

Adventurer
The easiest way to keep them separate these days is by guitarists since both singers are pasty, aged Grecian Formula aficionados. Reeves Gabrels with The Cure looks like your car salesman uncle while often playing slightly quirky-looking Reverend axes while The Cult's British biker bartender Billy Duffy can take a big, hollow-body Gretsch that feels like someone put six strings on a bathtub, sling it mid-thigh and manage to still look cool.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The easiest way to keep them separate these days is by guitarists since both singers are pasty, aged Grecian Formula aficionados. Reeves Gabrels with The Cure looks like your car salesman uncle while often playing slightly quirky-looking Reverend axes while The Cult's British biker bartender Billy Duffy can take a big, hollow-body Gretsch that feels like someone put six strings on a bathtub, sling it mid-thigh and manage to still look cool.
Also, there has only ever been Billy Duffy slinging a 6-string for The Cult. The Cure has had several guitarists over the years.

Zardnaar

Legend
BTW, @Zardnaar , don’t be too self conscious about the confusion. I kept confusing Bob Seeger and Eric Clapton for YEARS.

Beyond the big hits on the radio I didn't know much. Think I was 9 when I started listening to music with my first albums aged 10.

Took a few more years to really get into under my own initiative.

OMG. I finally made it home...
So', a lot has happened over the years I've been gone. I'm no longer married, she left after 31 years in the middle of the COVID lockdown. I'm playing drums and singing almost weekly in a classic rock band and currently have a session recording gig in Nashville. I hope this is the start of me being able to post more often. But its nice to see so many familiar faces are still here.

Love to you all.
Thunderfoot

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases