D&D Movie/TV Michelle Rodriguez, Justice Smith Join D&D Movie

From Comic Book Movies -- "Michelle Rodriguez (Avatar) and Justice Smith (Detective Pikachu) have joined Wonder Woman 1984's Chris Pine in Paramount and eOne's upcoming big-budget board game adaptation, Dungeons & Dragons..." https://www.comicbookmovie.com/fantasy/dungeons-dragons-michelle-rodriguez-and-justice-smith-join-chris-pine-in-fantasy-adaptation-a182313#gs.sfctbx We learned in...

From Comic Book Movies -- "Michelle Rodriguez (Avatar) and Justice Smith (Detective Pikachu) have joined Wonder Woman 1984's Chris Pine in Paramount and eOne's upcoming big-budget board game adaptation, Dungeons & Dragons..."

Michelle_Rodriguez_Cannes_2018_cropped.jpg

We learned in December about Chris Pine's involvement, along with directors Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis Daley.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Quite so - and many good movies have done just that. And it's important to note that Shakespeare is funny. He even manages to slip comic interludes into the tragedies.
Shakespeare definitely understood the need to let people take a breath once in a while -- and also the value of taking a breath so he could gut punch them right after. (See Macbeth, King Lear, etc.)

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
I would prefer the budget go to writing and effects, but having decent character actors, known for openness to action and fantasy/ science fiction roles is not a bad thing for a D&D movie. Justice Smith having experience working on a CGI heavy movie and doing a decent job (even if he was the straight man to Ryan Reynolds). I can't understand what people are looking for in a D&D movie. Do we want a fantasy action-adventure or a dramatic character study of Mordekainen as a young man? Chris Pine gives a face people are used to for tentpole scifi productions and the other actors are known for their abilities. I am sure there will be a bunch of unknowns or up and comers to round out the cast. Who were you hoping would be cast? Zombie Olivier?

Jaeger

That someone better
True Story: When given the choice between seeing Alien Covenant and Wonder Woman in theaters I chose the former over the ladder. I chose poorly.

My poor child...

In some ways it really doesn't take much to make a decent movie. The lead actor in 1982's Conan the Barbarian barely spoke English, the dialogue wasn't exactly Shakespeare to begin with, the plot wasn't anything spectacular, and the director had the temerity to ignore the source material from which the movie was based (and got Conan's hair color totally wrong), but it's a genuinely good movie. I'm not saying it's high art or anything but if you take the movie on its own terms it's quite enjoyable. The "perfect fantasy for the alienated preadolescent" as Ebert put it. The awesome soundtrack helps.

We have a long history of excellent fantasy movies and I don't just mean in the last few years. I loved Jason and the Argonauts, Excaliber, Clash of the Titans (the original), and of course in more recent years Lord of the Rings. I guess all of those were based on good stories that have stood the test of time. But I feel as though D&D (in its various incarnations and settings) has enough decades of material to mine from to produce a good story for the silver screen. I remain optimistic. I don't expect Shakespeare but I do expect an entertaining show.

This.

For some reason Hollywood seems incapable of "getting" fantasy independent of others creative visions.

I would have more confidence in the final product if a popular novelization of D&D was being adapted, rather than something new from whole cloth.

And I absolutely do not believe going straight to a 150-200million budget film is the way to go.

Personally I think an adaptation of R.A. Salvator's Dark Elf Trilogy would be a better first step. (Changing the Drow skin tone to a lite-gray for less PR headaches, and a more 'albino' look.)

It can be done on a more modest budget than trying to go straight into a sprawling fantasy epic.

It would have a different look and vibe that would separate it out from the other fantasy fare currently being made. Which can be a help to getting the project greenlit as it would not come across as a LOTR clone to a non-D&D fanbase.

Last edited:

I thought it was Dances With Wolves in space.

MRs an ok actor, not in the same league as Jeremy Irons or Natalie Portman who are both very good/excellent actors.

MR never really the lead actor in anything. She's good in certain genres as a supporting actor.
Being a good character actor with good material is more Important than being a fantastic leading actor with crappy material. The first D&D movie proved that pretty well I think.

For some reason Hollywood seems incapable of "getting" fantasy independent of others creative visions.

I would have more confidence in the final product if a popular novelization of D&D was being adapted, rather than something new from whole cloth.

And I absolutely do not believe going straight to a 150-200million budget film is the way to go.
I'd agree on all these points.

I think even a relatively simple structure would be fine. Like an adventure/campaign - I could see an entire movie being built off of that. But I agree that a completely free hand seems very unlikely to go well. The big problem with the novels is that most D&D novels aren't as good as other fantasy novels of similar genres or styles. Which I think makes it harder to justify them. Especially combined with the fact that many of them are outdated on top of that.

It could turn out fine but I'm just quite doubtful.

Unfortunately this movie seems to have C-grade casting written all over it. I mean, that’s no different to the other D&D movies, but I did have higher hopes initially.
That's not true though. These are bigger actors in terms of draw and better actors in terms of skill than the ones associated with the earlier movie. Just bring up the cast list for the old one.

Pine is an A-lister who has been male lead in a ton of movies, and the main character in a number, including big-budget Hollywood stuff.
Rodriguez is close to an A-lister, extremely well-known and well-liked generally, been in countless movies, especially action-adventure ones.
Smith has been the human lead in a movie - acting opposite Ryan Reynolds. He's very new but there's no reason to doubt his talent.

I feel like it's mean go through the 2000 movie's people, but none of the good guys had a background as good as Pine or Rodriguez. The biggest one was Marlon Wayans, and he was not a good actor, and only kind of funny. The lead was particularly badly cast, with a child actor who lacked charisma and really whilst people might vaguely know his face, he didn't have any name recognition (certainly not of a positive kind) and was already starring in direct-to-video stuff and "Made for Germany" TV movies and so on. Thora Birch was decent at acting and kind of known thanks to American Beauty (she wasn't the main girl, she was the daughter), but didn't actually get popular (and only briefly) until after the D&D movie, thanks largely to The Hole (if anyone remembers that).

I do think you're getting at a real issue though which is that, as yet, they don't have anyone who has significant draw or kudos, both of which could help the movie quite a bit. It's not as bad as the previous movie, not by a long shot, casting-wise. But they do need more, I think.

Being a good character actor with good material is more Important than being a fantastic leading actor with crappy material. The first D&D movie proved that pretty well I think.
How so?

There are no good actors in the 2000 D&D movie except Jeremy Irons, who has worked with terrible material to great effect countless times. Thora Birch is probably the next best and as I recall barely got any material, crappy or otherwise. Also, was there any "good material" for "good character actors" in the 2000 movie?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Lord of the Rings, the Princess Bride, Labyrinth, the Harry Potter movies, the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, Maleficent, the Chronicles of Narnia, How to Train Your Dragon.

If you don't want to see the D&D movie, cool. But all the folks announcing stuff like "Michelle Rodriguez is a no-name actress" or "fantasy movies don't work" are flying in the face of easily verifiable facts.

You are allowed to not like or be interested in a thing without said thing being a bad idea. It's called an opinion. You do not need to will your opinion into being a "fact."

Horwath

Legend
In tone, I think I would want a D&D movie to have some very serious - even genuinely dark - stuff, but also a good amount of good-natured silliness. I mean, it's D&D - half the reason I play is because of how much I laugh on game night! :D
So, "The Boys" but with spells and supernatural abilities instead of Compound V?

Remove ads

Remove ads