• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Midnight (2nd Ed) -- Seeking ideas and interest

hewligan

First Post
I am interested in possibly GMing a Midnight game, but need some input before committing. GMed for years, from about 14-20, but have done nothing since (last game I led was a 2nd ed Forgotten Realms adventure), and we are talking about a 12 year gap. I ran a club for years, and I still write fiction, so the story-telling has not gone. However ... I am not a rules lawyer, never was. I see DnD as a story-telling mechanism, a set of rough guidelines to help craft a piece of living fiction. What worries me a little is that:

1) My potential players will probably know 3.5 better than me (I know the rules, but not fantastically well)

2) I hate min-maxing, I love background and people who play in character (even when detrimental to the player in the sense that they know they are putting their character at risk)

3) I have a history of quietly and discretely ignoring the rules when they get in the way of the story.

Are these issues going to kill any game I attempt to run here at ENWorld?

Now for some positives: I am thinking of running a very ROLEplay heavy Midnight 2nd Edition game. No need to own the book, I would provide background and so on, as well as help with crafting a character. I am thinking perhaps 4 players, starting at level 1, and by-goodness this world is a harsh place, so expect 10 defeats (in objectives, not battles) for every victory, but each victory is to be savored.

Would anyone be interested? How about moving quite quickly to 4e upon release? Problem? Is it difficult to run a game that is focused more on story-telling on these boards (you can see from my profile that I may not have a high post-count, but I have been hanging around for a long time).

I am not recruiting yet, just wanting feedback on whether my style and inexperience are deal-breakers (I don't want to waste anybody's time), or whether there are people who would like to craft a living story in the despairing world of Midnight.

For people unfamiliar with Midnight, imagine Lord of the Rings 99 years after Sauron defeated the fellowship and plunged the world into the nightmare of his control. A world of despair, where for many hope has died.

Remove ads