Star Trek Adventures 2nd Edition

Modiphius Announces Star Trek Adventures 2nd Edition

Or WotC could publish something like Morderkainen's Monster of Universe, but style Magic: Universes beyond, about creatures and PC species in a Spelljammer mash-up version of sci-fi franchises.

ChoomInCT

Villager
The good news here is the last several books (including the Tricorder Edition rules) have been exactly readable black text on white background, so I think they learned that lesson.
They did confirm, the 2nd edition core rulebook will be black text on white background. They also confirmed that it will be backwards compatible. I like this, as Star Trek was one of the first 2D20 games and we see small rules tweaks here and there (Klingon Core Rulebook, looking at you!) and so this puts everything together in one book. It also opens the door for Romulan campaigns, Cardassian campaigns and other non-starfleet centric options.

And once again I find it quite confounding that the core book is being released before the starter set.

This is the first time I've heard this sentiment.

It makes sense to me. The purpose of the starter set is to get people to buy the core book(s). If people play the starter set and think "This is fun, I should buy the next one" and find out the 2e core book isn't for sale, there is a risk they end up buying another RPG book (possibly even 1e) rather than wait for the new book.

Also, I'm sure the production cycle plays a factor (the core book is certainly made first).

You can just use regular D6es.
No you can’t. That is the problem. You read the dice with different symbols on them that don’t adhere to the values on a normal die. You could table reference or learn them off by half, but this is frustrating for players. Essentially, the game is encouraging all players to go out and buy a set - something that can be difficult when they aren’t readily available in some countries like my own and they are expensive.

Reynard

Legend
No you can’t. That is the problem. You read the dice with different symbols on them that don’t adhere to the values on a normal die. You could table reference or learn them off by half, but this is frustrating for players. Essentially, the game is encouraging all players to go out and buy a set - something that can be difficult when they aren’t readily available in some countries like my own and they are expensive.
I know that everyone has different capacities for dealing with little stuff, but I can't get behind people thinking bespoke dice that can be easily replaced by a regular die and a table being deal breakers. Maybe it's from growing up with Hero, where even when rolling a regular d6, the 1s and 6s had different meanings. Or from playing games with embedded chart checking.

It just isn't a big deal to me and while I appreciate that it can be to some people, I don't think it is a compelling reason (on its own) to dislike a game.

Note: this is different than custom dice that can't be easily replaced with a simple table and are hard to get. I'd rather deal with STA result d6s than DCC d7s and d16s any day.

I know that everyone has different capacities for dealing with little stuff, but I can't get behind people thinking bespoke dice that can be easily replaced by a regular die and a table being deal breakers. Maybe it's from growing up with Hero, where even when rolling a regular d6, the 1s and 6s had different meanings. Or from playing games with embedded chart checking.

It just isn't a big deal to me and while I appreciate that it can be to some people, I don't think it is a compelling reason (on its own) to dislike a game.

Note: this is different than custom dice that can't be easily replaced with a simple table and are hard to get. I'd rather deal with STA result d6s than DCC d7s and d16s any day.
Well it is a big deal for me and others. It actively is a reason I won’t buy it - which is why it is being said. You’re attitude is dismissive and defensive but this communication isn’t aimed at you. It is aimed at Modiphius - it is their new edition and this is feedback for them. Your comments are actually doing a disservice to them.

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Please.

It is clear why the language of "edition" with D&D is important, and is less so with other games like Star Trek Adventures. Historically, each "edition" of D&D is significantly different from the edition prior, resulting in splitting the audience as some stick with the earlier edition and some move forward with the new. The D&D 2024 rules could certainly be called an "edition", but WotC is avoiding that terminology for obvious and good reasons. Modiphius doesn't have to worry about that with Star Trek Adventures.
Obvious reasons ($). Not sure they're good ones.

Micah Sweet

Understandably, WotC would prefer to avoid all of that nonsense with the new rules later this year. Other games don't necessarily carry that baggage.
You think they're likely to?

In any case, a 2e that doesn't upend the universe yet is still called out as the very real difference it is is a welcome thing I wish extended to the market leader. Their fellow publishers are showing them how it's done.

Micah Sweet

D&D is the best example of "editions" being almost entirely new games, rather than incremental changes.

But it's not the only example in the TTRPG space. And D&D is the grand-daddy of TTRPGs, and casts a long shadow.

I'm not discounting what you are saying, but . . . what other games are going through arguments over the word "edition" other than D&D? I'm aware Pathfinder/Starfinder games like to put out revisions given names like "unchained", "remastered" and "enhanced" . . . is that what you are referring to? I don't play Pathfinder or Starfinder, but I found those version titles irritating.
Me too. Pathfinder 2e is as much a different game from PF1E as any two D&D editions are.

Remove ads