D&D General My "Perfect D&D" Would Include...

My "Perfect D&D" Would include...

• Alignment

Votes: 41 39.0%
  • Species as Class

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Species Class and Level Limits

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • "Kits"

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • Prestige Classes

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • Class Archetypes

Votes: 51 48.6%
  • Open Multiclassing (ie not limited by species)

Votes: 54 51.4%
  • Psionics (as a separate, distinct magic subsystem)

Votes: 37 35.2%
  • Paragon Paths

Votes: 20 19.0%
  • "Encounter Abilities" in some form

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • Complex Martials

Votes: 50 47.6%
  • Advantage/Disadvantage

Votes: 67 63.8%
  • Save or Die/Suck effects

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • Level Drain

Votes: 23 21.9%
  • Rulership/Leadership rules

Votes: 48 45.7%
  • Warfare Rules

Votes: 45 42.9%
  • Paths to immortality

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • 20 levels or less

Votes: 52 49.5%
  • 20 levels or more

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Epic Level Rules (distinct from pre-epic advancement)

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • Narrow species choices

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • Broad species choices

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • Quadratic Wizards

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Grid based combat

Votes: 54 51.4%
  • Theater of the mind based combat

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Skill Challenges

Votes: 48 45.7%
  • Detailed Travel/Journey Rules

Votes: 61 58.1%
  • Detailed Social Rules/Social "combat"

• Skills

Votes: 90 85.7%
  • Feats

Votes: 67 63.8%
  • Categorical Sving throws (AD&D)

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • 3 Saves (Fort, Ref, Will)

Votes: 40 38.1%
  • Ability based Saves

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • Proficiency Bonus

• XP from treasure

Votes: 30 28.6%
  • XP from combat

Votes: 36 34.3%
  • XP from story

Votes: 64 61.0%
  • Player facing item creation rules

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • Templates (for monsters)

• Random treasure tables

Votes: 53 50.5%
  • Something I forgot

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I forgot to put THAC0 on the list...
Thac0 is just AC with the math for Prof/Bab+attrib+d20 for each roll already on your sheet. With all wotc's focus on simplicity it's weird that they didn't put it on the sheet
1673810393845.png

1673810323447.png

or if you need entries for multiple weapons here is an example of a two line one
1673810282147.png

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Thac0 is just AC with the math for Prof/Bab+attrib+d20 for each roll already on your sheet. With all wotc's focus on simplicity it's weird that they didn't put it on the sheet
View attachment 272657

View attachment 272656
or if you need entries for multiple weapons here is an example of a two line one
View attachment 272655
THAC0 being based on descending AC is a major reason why. It's not that it's pre-calculated (though that's its own kettle of fish), it's that it's counter-intuitive and almost immediately leads to weirdness, especially when AC becomes negative.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
THAC0 being based on descending AC is a major reason why. It's not that it's pre-calculated (though that's its own kettle of fish), it's that it's counter-intuitive and almost immediately leads to weirdness, especially when AC becomes negative.
The ascending/descending AC is irrelevant to it being "AC with the math for Prof/Bab+attrib+d20 for each roll already on your sheet" Naming the chart thac15 or whatever the sweet spot is would have about as much impact as changing the term for Base attack Bonus to proficiency bonus where there are slight mechanical differences for a similar concept.
edit: it avoided all the fumbling of

it avoided all the fumbling of "lets see d20 is 11 plus 5 DM:"[ac is 13 that hits]"plus 4 DM:"[ac is 13 how much damage did you do?]"plus one DM:"[you hit roll damage Bob]"umm.... I got 21, DM:"[you hit roll damage Bob]"does that .. that hits? cool! DM:"[yes roll damage]"
It accomplished that
because all of that was done at levelup or things like switching out equipment

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
i'd have voted for fixed(or an established default at the very least) species modifiers if that were on the list.

i didn't vote for 'species as class' because i know it means something different to what i'm about to say but species that is treated as a secondary class, having it's own parallel progression of abilities that expand and improve as you level up so that your elf becomes more elfy or dwarf more dwarfy and choice of exclusive species feats.

The Old Crow

Explorer
For clarity you mean like AD&D, rather than increasing DCs basically meaning the chances stay the same?
Similar to that, though don't want different save charts for every class. Mostly I dislike having saving throws that never ever get better with experience, like 5e has. I also didn't care much for 3/3.5 saves with the growing disparity between good and poor saves. I would want everyone to use the same base chart that improved with level, and if ability score modifiers add in that alone gives enough variation, but maybe they could have a +2 on a "good" save..

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
i note that you have dis/advantage on the options but not situational (edit: individual stacking) numerical bonuses/negatives.

Last edited:

I felt dirty clicking on proficiency bonus, and need to clarify that I support it for the sake of the elegance of the underused "DM determines under the particular circumstances a character who normally couldn't can apply proficiency" and "floating matching of skill proficiencies with different ability bonuses" options, am only mildly positive on it as the regular basis for skill bonuses and such, and abhor the mad love WotC developed late in 5e's life for just using it as the answer to all number questions.

Remove ads