D&D 5E Mythic Odysseys of Theros Reviews

Did you, or will you, buy Mythic Odysseys of Theros

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I’d put the priories nearly opposite that. I want some crunch, but I can get that on dndbeyond. Before dndbeyond I could fit it elsewhere. I don’t need a physical book at all for crunch.

But lore and art are what make a book worth sitting down with on a day off.
D&D Beyond doesn't appeal to me other than as a character building tool. I like lore a lot, I just don't think it's worth paying $50 without good crunch backing it up.

I said yes because of a couple reasons, namely that I've already ordered it because my girlfriend is excited for it, and because I will find the extra subclasses and mythic boons useful for extrapolating to my other games.

I care frankly nothing for the setting itself and aside from Hades and the all of the mythos surrounding him I have never enjoyed greek/Roman mythology, mostly stemming from not liking the blantent racism of ancient Greco Roman culture (which was albeit common for anyone back then) and finding the greek/roman gods largely unlikable (special shout out here to Apollo, biggest ***hole of practically any mythos) because they had no accountability and were largely worshipped only out of fear. It makes sense given their climate and function of religion in their society, but it doesn't mean I am overly fond of it from an upbringing with it, or blinded by nostalgia. I'm also just not a MTG fan either.

Norse and all of the eastern mythologies were always more my thing.
Heh. To be fair. There are Ancient Greeks who think their gods are jerks, and so want nothing to do with them.

Vael

Legend
I'm still reading the book. The PC options were pretty solid, the Satyr seems strong. Supernatural gifts were interesting, but I feel like it needs some more examples and options.

Still going through the rest of the book. It is very pretty, I really like MtG art, and there's some nice pieces in the book. And I was pleased as folk to see Kynaios and Tiro in the book.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I'm still reading the book.
Me too.
The PC options were pretty solid, the Satyr seems strong.
It is strong. The jump ability is strangely pretty good. It's not as good as the Yuan-Ti Pureblood, but it is pretty powerful.
Supernatural gifts were interesting, but I feel like it needs some more examples and options.
I also felt that, I wish there were more.
Still going through the rest of the book. It is very pretty, I really like MtG art, and there's some nice pieces in the book. And I was pleased as folk to see Kynaios and Tiro in the book.
It is a good book, especially with the art.

Dire Bare

Legend
Theros flavoring the Monk as a 300 style warrior is kinda awesome.
I agree, but . . . .

This is one of the problems I have with some D&D settings, both official and third-party. The drive to include player options for every class, no matter how poor the fit. The classic D&D monk, IMO, doesn't belong in a Greek-inspired setting. Neither do paladins, bards, and druids for that matter.

Sure, you can torture the concept a bit to make it work, like turning the monk/martial artist into a Spartan and/or Olympic Athlete . . . . this approach broadens classic D&D class archetypes too broadly to almost become meaningless.

The classic kung fu monk is doomed. If it can't evolve into something else it will die.
I agree. There is a sensitive concern between historically/mythologically accurate ethnic concept versus avoiding racist stereotyping.

So far, I feel the ideal is, to be able to use a class to accurately build an ethnic concept, such as using a Rogue to make a decent historically accurate Ninja, but then be able to use this same Rogue to build concepts in other cultures unrelated to Japan.

Conversely, if the Monk can build a decent East Asian monastic warrior, great! But then, the class should be equally useful to build a mythologically accurate (or in this case an inspired remix of) the Greek ideal of a warrior. For example, Alexander the Great is an example of a great warrior that blends Greek divine traits. The Monk class seems to do this pretty well, blending ideals of philosophical stoicism, immortality, and combat prowess.

I am surprised the Monk would make a decent Greek hero, but it seems to work.

Remove ads