D&D 5E New class options in Tasha

Vael

Legend
The bottom line is known-spell casters now have access to a great number of spells than a Wizard does (typically... in theory, yes a wizard's list is longer--but no wizard will normally have access to even half that number of spells due to cost and time, even if your DM is nice about it).

And the bottom line is that this argument holds no weight with me, because it implies a level of prescience that isn't seen. If spell lists consisted of spells like "Evard's kill the BBEG if it's a Goblin" and "Mordenkainen's solution to the mystery of the criminal Gang in Waterdeep" I might have more sympathy. But in a given encounter, every class is still bringing the exact same resources they had before, nothing has changed.

Sorcerers still stuck at being anything but a blaster though.

Not my experience. The key is Sorcerers can't try to do everything (and that will not change with this rule), but they are not just blasters.

And the bottom line is that this argument holds no weight with me, because it implies a level of prescience that isn't seen. If spell lists consisted of spells like "Evard's kill the BBEG if it's a Goblin" and "Mordenkainen's solution to the mystery of the criminal Gang in Waterdeep" I might have more sympathy. But in a given encounter, every class is still bringing the exact same resources they had before, nothing has changed.

Except

Hohige

Explorer
Not my experience. The key is Sorcerers can't try to do everything (and that will not change with this rule), but they are not just blasters.
Well, a Sorcerer now can change all his spell know for a "new" role. o_O
Sure, but not simultaneously.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Not my experience. The key is Sorcerers can't try to do everything (and that will not change with this rule), but they are not just blasters

I didn't say they are only blasters.
I say they are only great at being blasters. Their spell list is tailored to blasting and 5e spells are not as op as in the past.

Vael

Legend
I say they are only great at being blasters. Their spell list is tailored to blasting and 5e spells are not as op as in the past.

Twin Spell + Polymorph is a heck of a thing.

TBH, 5e skews casters towards blasting because Concentration limits the number of active spell effects.

Hohige

Explorer
Subtle Dominate Person/Monster/Mind Spike
Subtle Counterspell
Stealth Mage
The Hound of Ill Omem + Careful fear/hypnotic pattern
Twin Polymorph + The Hound of Ill Omem.
Etc.

Remove ads