D&D 5E New class options in Tasha

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Yes probably. I really cannot properly imagine the sort of game where there wasn't significant downtime and the characters didn't plan what they're going to do next. But I guess a lot of official modules are just dungeons where the characters kill monsters in rooms and go from level one to ten in two weeks of in-game time or something bizarre like that. I have never played that way though. (Sorry if the characterisation was inaccurate or unfair, but this was the only scenario where I can imagine increasing the number of spells you have access to by tenfold wouldn't be a massive game chancer.)
We didn't dungeon crawl from room to room, but my last campaign did go from level 9 to level 13 in about two weeks of in-game time.

TwoSix

Yeah, super weird to me. My assumption is that campaigns will span years if not decades of game time.
Yea, for me that's weird as most of our games only run about 12-18 months since we get bored and other DMs want to run stuff. We usually have one main story arc with some smaller side quests, and we don't really like narrating months of downtime. The only real downtime is travel.

Hohige

Explorer
Granted, I can prepared 16 spells per day (INT 18), but a level 12 Sorcerer would have 12 known--only 4 less. But it would also have 3 metamagic options.

Overall, a much greater spell selection for the Sorcerer and 3 metamagics vs. my smaller spell selection but 4 more I can choose from.

Sorry, but give a Sorcerer Ritual Caster and they really are better casters overall that Wizards IMO. YMMV of course. :)
Emphasis mine, If the Sorcerer is a dragon sorcerer (free mage armor), shadow sorcerer (free darkness) and Divine soul (free spell), so, the sorcerer knows 13 spells.
The difference is 3.

TwoSix

Emphasis mine, If the Sorcerer is a dragon sorcerer (free mage armor), shadow sorcerer (free darkness) and Divine soul (free spell), so, the sorcerer knows 13 spells.
The difference is 3.
Well, with that math correction, my mind is officially changed! :LOL:

Now you're comparing a class feature to the entire class? No, thanks. Enjoy your day. :)
That is the argument you have been presenting...isn't that what you mean by repeating that Metamagic is what the sorcerer class is all about?
To the thread at large:

The idea of pointing out Harm is so that redemptive steps can be taken.
So I think it is evident that based off what we know, the rules being discussed in Tasha's don't Nerf wizards in any way.

So with actual harm, off the table...the harm being done is socio/emotional harm.
The proposed rule change is hurting the "position of the Wizard class vis a vis the other classes".

Yet even with this as the claim, I don't see where harm has been done.

The Wizard still has access to the largest, most varied collection of spells, and has special Ritual Casting....nothing changes!

Your neighbor getting a raise doesn't make you poorer, even if it makes you feel bad.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases