D&D 5E New Drow cultures coming in Starlight Enclave, the Lorendrow and the Aevendrow

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
None of this has changed with the introduction of these new subraces. If you think all of this is is fine now, then you mustn’t have thought there was a problem with drow in the first place.
Actually, while I can’t speak for them, I have always had several problems with the Drow and also think that the Drow as of the new lore are pretty much fine.

If there aren’t cultures of good/not evil drow, then it isn’t really true that Drow are free from being always evil, IMO. Having multiple Drow cultures that didn’t even come from the Underdark lolthite Drow fixes that problem. Between that and changing art, I haven’t much issue with them anymore. It makes the menzoberanzan model one of several cultures that some Drow have.

Mirtek

Hero
Actually, while I can’t speak for them, I have always had several problems with the Drow and also think that the Drow as of the new lore are pretty much fine.

If there aren’t cultures of good/not evil drow, then it isn’t really true that Drow are free from being always evil, IMO. Having multiple Drow cultures that didn’t even come from the Underdark lolthite Drow fixes that problem. Between that and changing art, I haven’t much issue with them anymore. It makes the menzoberanzan model one of several cultures that some Drow have.
We had non-evil drow cultures and enclaves for decades, WotC just chose to sideline and ignore them. And now they create brand new ones to adress the lack of non-evil drows. :unsure:

Zardnaar

Legend
We had non-evil drow cultures and enclaves for decades, WotC just chose to sideline and ignore them. And now they create brand new ones to adress the lack of non-evil drows. :unsure:

I don't think it gonna stick long term due to the stupid names if nothing else.

It's probably because they're hell bent in FR so hard. Wouldn't be to hard to make another world with variant surface Drow with alternate features not getting light sensitivity.

They kind of blew up all the non evil Drow they did develop. In 3R they had something like 100k if the in Cormanthyr. Not sure what happened to that plotline.

They'll probably ham fist it up and balls it up and a crappy Drizzt novel to explain that NFS (who reads Drizzt now?).

Hopefully they'll make a half decent effort a'la silence of Lolth but will likely drop the ball pleasing no one.

Necrozius

Explorer
Couldn’t they just make the Llolth Drow a particular state under the thumb of a dictatorship? Llolth and her main commanders are Hitler or Stalin or Emperor Palpatine etc Far less problematic IMHO.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Are these really subraces of a subrace?

I thought they were more like how in The Elder Scrolls, Telvanni, Redoran, and Hlaalu (and Indoril, Dres, Ashlander, Velothi, and outlander) Dunmer are all Dark Elves, all share the same racial traits, all share some history and some cultural elements, but otherwise couldn’t be more different in culture. They have different territories, different controlled cities and towns, different preferred occupations and classes (Telvanni - Wizard, Redoran - Paladin, Hlaalu - Rogue), and they have different outlooks on interstate relations, religion, the evils of slavery, etc).

They’re backgrounds, and should be treated as such.

Maybe they’ll introduce suggested alternative ancestry traits for Drow raised in various cultures, but without locking anything in. But I think it would be better to avoid that and just remind folks about Tasha’s ancestry rules and that you always have the option of tinkering with your ancestral features during character creation.

Better to treat these like the human cultures listed in the Player’s Handbook. They’re not (sub)subraces, they’re cultures.

Last edited:

Remove ads