New Feat: Magic in the Blood

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I've updated it based on feedback - removed the Arcane spell requirement, but also limited the metamagic to ones that only cost a single sorcery point to activate.

Well, I'm slightly concerned about things like Twinned Revivify or Raise Dead - that's a combo that could be deemed a bit too good for a single feat.

Twinned Revivify is probably not as good as Extended Aura of Vitality anyway, which this feat enables for level 9+ Paladins.

Aside from the Aura of Vitality combo, Careful and Subtle would probably be my picks, if I had a spare ASI that I was willing to spend on "just for fun" stuff. Both of them work pretty well even with only a couple of sorcery points a day. E.g. even a single Subtle Major Illusion is enough for some major hijinks, and a Careful Evard's Black Tentacles could turn the tide in a key battle.

Well, I'm slightly concerned about things like Twinned Revivify or Raise Dead - that's a combo that could be deemed a bit too good for a single feat.

You only gave them 2 points, that limits it to cantrips-2nd level spells for non-sorcerers unless you let someone take this feat multiple times (which I don't recommend). Once a day twinning a 2nd level spell or using quickened once a day is pretty impressive at the first ASI point, but I think it drops off in the awe factor quickly. I think experienced players or those who are playing longer-term games would be more interested in distant spell, extended spell, or subtle spell, all of which will be a lot more useful at mid to high levels.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Updated the original post to clean up the wording. Instead of trying to be clever about it, I just outright disallowed Quicken and Twin. If you don't think those will be a problem, feel free to allow them as options if you choose to use this in your game.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Do you think that having access to Twinned or Quickened once per long rest would unbalance Warlocks or Wizards?

I don't know, mainstream consensus seems to be that having that combo justifies having so few known spells that allow to pick from a very limited pool of class spells -almost entirely a subset of the wizard-

Updated the original post to clean up the wording. Instead of trying to be clever about it, I just outright disallowed Quicken and Twin. If you don't think those will be a problem, feel free to allow them as options if you choose to use this in your game.

An alternative might be to limit these to only be usable with spells on the sorcerer list?. Maybe have a Cha 13/15 prerrequisite?

Horwath

Legend
I don't know, access to metamagic without multi-classing is pretty powerful. Look at Martial Adept, it does something similar and doesn't give an attribute boost.

yeah, and Martial adept is considered one of the worst feats. Nice design and idea, but too weak.

famousringo

First Post
By whom? I've never heard that, and I know at least two players who have taken the feat (both battlemasters).

That's just it. Rarely is a non-battlemaster interested in taking the feat. And they've likely taken it after they've already capped their main stat and picked up a couple other, more desirable feats, as a luxury because the fighter enjoys so many ASIs.

When only one subclass wants a feat, that's a sign it's weak. Not Charger or Savage Attacker weak, but below average.

IMO, even if it gave 3 points and allowed you to pick any metamagic, it would still be weak. One quickened spell per day is not a particularly great tradeoff compared to +2 to an ability score. I don't think I would take it on my sorcerer until very high level, if at all.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases