• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NEW Immortals Handbook - Ascension thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! :)

mercucio said:
RE: Denying Dex bonuses to AC for Skill Portfolio

That is a terrible idea. Perhaps negate non-inherent bonuses granted to Dex (i.e. from items, spells, drugs/alchemical items, ect) but its just too rude otherwise. You'd sneak attack an opponent every attack (assuming double Skill), which you normally have as a cosmic ability (Underhanded). I like rogue's, I like sneak attack, but the synergy offered by such is just too good.

So it would appear.

paradox42 said:
Re: the Skill Portfolio AC-denial ability
You can get around the Sneak Attack issues easily by turning it from a denial into a bonus. Give the Immortal a bonus to hit equal to the opponent's DEX modifier. That cancels out the opponent's AC bonus from DEX, but doesn't cause said opponent to be vulnerable to Sneak Attacks or other similar effects.

If I have the denial thing for Skill I would also need to have it for the other ability score-centric portfolios.

Last edited:

Hiya mate! :)

paradox42 said:
Actually that was posted by me, not Pssthpok. :\ Though it does sound like an idea he might suggest.

Apologies, it was almost 1am when I posted that.

To preempt the inevitable, I may not update tonight. If I don't though, I will definately update tomorrow night. I'll have the portfolios chapter done by tonight but I'll probably need another day for the 2 missing pages in chapter 1 and a few other bits of errata that need my attention.

poilbrun

Explorer
Pssthpok said:
Do you realize how much money I could make if I were to bet on you missing updates?
Probably not much, who would bet against Craig missing one? :p

Even if it only comes tomorrow, it will be three days earlier than his usual 10 days between updates, so fine by me! :D

However I really think that for Grimoire, it would be better if he did not give any timeframe and work at his own pace without having to put everything in shape every 10 days and simply give an update on work progress with a small excerpt something like once a month. That would keep those waiting interested, but without a schedule, no one would have any leg to stand on when saying that it should be done by now!.

poilbrun

Explorer
Pssthpok said:
Or rather, he shouldn't sell Grimoire until it's finished. What a novel idea... :p
I actually don't mind the fact that Ascension was on sale before being finished or even that it's not finished yet. I prefer that he takes his time and makes it worthwhile. Furthermore, seeing the book take shape actually brought some ideas that I may not have had if I had only seen the current version (you won't trick me into saying last version!).

But if I was in his shoes, I probably wouldn't subject myself to the same criticism a second time. And don't get me wrong, this is not a dig at the critics, since I believe the criticism was warranted this time.

Hiya poilbrun mate! :)

poilbrun said:
I actually don't mind the fact that Ascension was on sale before being finished or even that it's not finished yet. I prefer that he takes his time and makes it worthwhile. Furthermore, seeing the book take shape actually brought some ideas that I may not have had if I had only seen the current version (you won't trick me into saying last version!).

Its been a bit of a balls up start to finish, but I am eventually stumbling over the line.

poilbrun said:
But if I was in his shoes, I probably wouldn't subject myself to the same criticism a second time. And don't get me wrong, this is not a dig at the critics, since I believe the criticism was warranted this time.

That'll never happen again. I'd just like to apologise to those people who preordered, I feel terrible about it. For what its worth I honestly only thought the project would take a month or two at the most. :eek:

Well, for what it's worth, I could have taken only a couple of months... As long as you do nothing but type. No going out, no sleeping. Just typing. Maybe eating, as long as you continue to type with one hand.

Though no one can really sit down and work on the same thing for an extended period and not suffer 'burnout'.

Heck, a quick glance tells me Deities and Demigods 3rd Edition had over 35 people working on it at one time. You pretty much had 1-3, with a few people on these forums throwing out suggestions, such as myself. I am guessing D&dG had a 6 month production time, like most Wizards books, so I think, given how long this has taken and how few 'staff' you have, that you are still ahead of the curve.

Though half of those 35 people were artists. :) BTW, can't wait for the artwork. Are the pics gonna be B&W like in the bestiary, or color images like the cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads