D&D (2024) New leak looks real bad

Horwath

Legend
$30?
For playing 2, 3, maaaybe 4 sessions per month?

lets say 3 on average. 6hrs sessions. Total of 18hrs.

that is $1,67 per hr.

3000 years ago when I played WoW to somewhat addictive level, it was 6hrs per day on average. with $11 or $12 dollars per month(dont remember what 6months sub was exactly). so take $12 per months 6 times 30 days=180hrs(or more)

$12 divided by 180, $0,06. Just 25 times cheaper.

Or take Witcher 3, one of the best games of all time.
In now almost 8 years, you could play it 3 times to completion. It takes around 200hrs for a complete game.
That is 600hrs for $50. $0,083 per hr
Even if you completed it hastly, and only once(around 60hrs) that is still less than a dollar per hour.

They better include holo-deck for that price.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It shakes me to the core that anyone would consider paying $360/year for any library, or game, or even both. By all means, rail against corporations, but it is the consumers who really frighten me.
Then don't pay $360. It's pretty easy inWoW to make gold and just buy monthly subscriptions with that gold.

ValamirCleaver

Ein Jäger aus Kurpfalz
(*) Well, it is a fly in the ointment, just not the way you intimate (IMO) - instead, it's the collapse of 3pp support resulting from WotC OGL shenanigans that's going to lose them money down the road.
I'm much more bothered by the fact that Wizbro is willing to raze any & all game material that's not in any way, shape or form 5e/1DND related that has ever used OGC in the past. I really enjoy Adventures Dark and Deep & its compatible material.

edit: typo

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Huh. Maybe they'll give you a discount or a free top membership if you run X games per month. Group finder with a willing live DM.
It's actually really smart how they did it. Someone pays an extra $15(the monthly price) for a token that they can sell on the Auction House for gold. Someone else like me uses the gold to get a free month, Blizzard gets paid the monthly fee for both me and the guy selling the token(he paid twice), and the guy who bought the token gets to effectively buy the gold he wants for cash. It's win-win-win.

Horwath

Legend
Huh. Maybe they'll give you a discount or a free top membership if you run X games per month. Group finder with a willing live DM.
What a way to end up with a conga line of catastrophic DM.

This reminds me of Dota2 matchmaking with preferred roles.
Pick all roles to get 2 games where you can pick only your favorite role.
So every 3 games you get garbage tier support, so you can get two games of good mid lane.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
I already pay 20$ month for a premium Roll20 account. I am the GM, I pay the premium subscription, my players have the free one.

The big difference is that I pay it to get some premium features, not to be able to use any content I want in my game! I pay it because I want to support them, and because the premium features are nice to have, not needed. I could have played the same games with the free tiers, without problem.

The idea of needing to pay to use homebrew stuff is the opposite of what a VTT should be. TTRPG are about creating content, a VTT must support that.

Another difference is that I can use Roll20 to play my regular D&D campaign but also any other one shot that we want to play! Monster of the Week, ICRPG, Call of Cthulhu, in the last three years we have done lots of one shot, all in Roll20.

I fail to see the 30$ premium model suggested by this leak as a good enough value proposition comparing with that...

ValamirCleaver

Ein Jäger aus Kurpfalz
Is that the VTT that showed a player view animation instead of something useful like a powerpoint slide of features while it was talking about how it would include a really robust GM interface or one of the many VTTs we can install & use today?
Are you sure it's not like the MasterTools for 3e that was scaled back to e-Tools (& was in such an underwhelming state that Code Monkeys had to bailout Flid & Wizbro) or the vaporware VTT that was supposed to be for 4e?

Remove ads