[NEW] Star Frontier Adventure [IC]

GreenKarl

First Post
Grabbing their new gear the team headed out towards the docking 'doom' on the 'upper' (top?) part of the space station. When there, they are directed to a side docking area where most of the smaller scout-junker ships were moored. The team quickly found the Maranda, and the ship did look to be about as old as some members feared. Miss-matched patches had been welded haphazardly over many points on the ship, giving it a mix of colors and metals over its surface. One could only hope that it was sealed and spaceworthy...

Inside was cramped and not very large so the group was quickly able explored the interior - a small cockpit with two seats, a stock - but somewhat mess - messhall with five seats around it, three standard, double-bunk staterooms - with new sheets but the mattresses looked less then stain-free, a small brig where two people could be secured - so long as they were not big people, and a small engine room where the power plant, sublight and hyperdrive engines where located. Anyone with engineering training could tell that the older model hyperdrive systems had been removed sometime in the past and the newer 'Cui-Green Alliance SH-1 Hyperdrive system' had been installed. The Cul-Green was at least 75 years newer then the rest of the system so Regulators could cross the expanse of space in the Reach in just over a month as opposed to a year with the older models.

Stowing their in their chosen stateroom (one person could have a private room, the rest would have to double-up unless Echo does not one to be within one then two share a room and two get private ones) the group split off to their stations and started powering the ship up for take off.

GM: I can go back and edit equipment for Summer's character if @KahlessNestor wants. Please update your character sheets with any new gear that you take. Depending if @Shayuri has access to the internet I can roll for Echo's navigation. She needs 3 checks at an 11 each to successfully get the team to Corvus in 20 days (8 sooner then the UFA had planned) at 3 separate hyperspace check points. Basically you travel around 8 parsecs have to come out of hyperspace, do a new check and 'jump' into hyperspace for the next 8 parsecs.

Anything else?

mfloyd3

Explorer
Angel Black: Interlude

OOC: Just an interlude. I'll make a separate post for her actions when she's aboard ship.

As the group left the conference room, Angel hung back and slipped down a side corridor as if answering a call of nature. But she detoured down a second hallway and ducked into a disused storage area. Closing the door behind her, she pulled out her communicator, held it in front of her, and began to record.

"Hi, honey," she said, smiling warmly. "I'm springing for a video link this time, because it's going to be the last time I can send anything for a while. Maybe a couple of months, I'm not sure. I'm going away on a job, with the rest of the team. No, I still haven't seen the Star Knight use his laser sword, but when I do I promise I'll tell you what it looks like.

"Grandma and grandpa tell me you're having a rough time keeping up in school. I know it's hard, but you need to keep trying, OK? Remember that it's not your fault - you can do this, we just didn't do a good job getting you ready for this kind of school when we were back on Grit. So now you've got to make up some ground. But that's OK, I know you can do it. You just have to work harder now, same as I do. That's what you do when things go wrong."

She paused the recording, and leaned back against the bulkhead. Angel considered the fact that this might very well be the last thing her son would ever hear from her. And the best that she could hope for was that that was going to be true for many messages, for a long time to come. This had to be part of her checklist now, like cleaning guns and memorizing files. Leaving something for her son.

"The best thing you can do for yourself is learn everything you can," she said gently, reactivating the recorder. "Get really smart so you can do things people need but can't do for themselves. Then when you grow up, you'll always be able to take care of the people you care about.

"In the meantime, you be good for grandma and grandpa, and you give them each a hug for me. A big one, one of your good ones. And remember I love you, and even though I can't call you I'm thinking of you. Bye, now."

She patched the recording through to the base transmission system, wincing a bit as the transmission cost ticked over on her account, but there it was. It was the last she'd be sending for a while anyway.

Angel leaned back against the wall again and closed her eyes for a moment, fighting to regain her focus. For a moment she was on Grit again, dust mask pulled across her face, wind whipping past her. She felt her son's small hand in hers, and lingered just a moment in the memory.

Then she stood up, pushed back into the hallway, and made for her quarters to grab her pack.

mfloyd3

Explorer
Angel boarded the Maranda, taking stock of the poorly matched fittings. Well, she'd survived worse. She unshouldered her sun-bleached synthcloth pack as she entered, not wanting to risk bumping into anything with the oiled leather rifle case that was strapped across it.

Taking stock of the accommodations, she considered her options. Noting Echo exploring the ship, she slipped over to the android.

"Bunk up?" she asked, gesturing a thumb toward one of the rooms.

Axel steps onto the Maranda and looks around. It was smaller than the last ship he worked. He glanced into one of the cabins and shrugged. The berths where about the same though, he picked one at random and threw his bag on a bunk. He sat down and then turned to the woman who had been following him since the briefing.

"What do you want this time?"

The woman shrugs and sits next to him.

"Just to talk. I don't have much company where I am."

Axel looks down sheepishly.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know what I was doing."

The woman puts her hand on Axel's knee.

"I know, it's what you were made to do."

Axel clenches his hands into fists. She was his first target. He didn't even know why Psiogen wanted her dead. He just remembered the look on her face when he burnt her mind. The only indication was the blood trickling from her nose. Axel looks up at the woman but she had vanished. He shakes his head to clear it and looks out the door.

"There's an extra bunk in here if anyone needs it."

Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
United Frontier Authority Station Alpha/Deputy Director’s office
November 16, 2321/1033

[OOC=Got a 4 on the Luck roll, so that brings my total to 11. I will take the grenades and the slug rifle and extra ammo. Does our starting disruptor come with an extra power pack?[/OOC]

Summer shrugged. She would get what she could. She took the extra cuffs, the rifle, and the extra ammunition. “Have a great day!” she told the quartermaster with a smile.

Summer stopped at her temporary quarters and retrieved her gear, stuffing the new items into the backpack. She wouldn’t be needing the weapons and ammo anytime soon, so she could attach it to her belt where it would be more accessible later.

Slinging her pack on her shoulder, Summer surveyed the room one last time. “Oh!” she exclaimed, snatching up a picture from beside the bed. It was a handsome young man in Navy dress whites. “You don’t think I’m leaving you behind, do you, Winny?” she asked him. “You always thought the Reach would be exciting. Well, now I’m here and you’re off in the war. Stay safe.” She tucked the picture safely inside her coat.

Summer headed toward the docking berth where she was told the Maranda waited. She pulled up short when she saw it. “Oh, you have got to be kidding me!” she said, taking in the patchwork sight of the ship. “Damn, the Navy did spoil me.” Even the smuggling crews she had worked on had better ships.

Summer ducked inside. Everyone seemed to be claiming bunks. Looked like Angel, the only other female, was going with the android. That left Axel or Marx. Summer looked at Axel. Was he...talking to himself? And he didn’t smell that great.

“Guess it’s your lucky month, Star Man,” Summer told Marx, going into the other suite. Marx could choose to either bunk with Mr. Smelly or with Hot Pilot. “This should be cozy,” Summer murmured as she dumped her gear on the top bunk. There wasn’t much room. She shrugged out of her armored coat and draped that over her stuff. That wouldn’t be needed, either. She hung her gunbelt over the post and headed to check out the cockpit.

It was small, but she was used to fighter cockpits, so it was big enough for her to kick back and relax. Summer slid into the seat and pulled out the picture of her brother, taping him up on the console. As she started to run through preflight, she flipped on the ship’s internal comms.

“How’s it looking back there, Mrs. Roboto? Or is it Ms.? Do tinheads get married out here in the Reach? You hear stories. Some of the guys I ran with talked about these sexbots on...where was it? It doesn’t matter. Not really my thing, but it sounded intriguing. So what was I asking? Oh, yeah. What’s that engine looking like? How much can I push this thing? From up here, it doesn’t look factory. It in good shape? It won’t fall apart on me if I pull a hammerhead?”

[sblock=Character Tracker]
Summer Knight Character Sheet
Descriptor: A suave Human smuggler who can’t resist a pretty face.
Melee Defense: 18
Range Defense: 14
Mental Defense: 14
Vital Defense: 10
Health: 12/12
Luck: 2/3d6
Suave (1/day)
Seat of Your Pants: Replenish Luck an extra time per day.
Ammo
  • Disruptor 20
  • Slugger rifle 20
    • Reload 20

[/sblock]

[sblock=Mission]
  • Bring in Bernard family for the Chenzua Corporation on Corvus: Alexandre (father, dead or alive), Nicolette (alive), John (dead or alive), Ike (alive), William (dead or alive).
  • Retrieve Chenzua Corp stolen property.
    • Mobile Mine Processor
  • Register reward levels with UFA A.I. onsite.
  • Contact: Damian Atos (Chenzua general manager), Alpha City, Corvus[/sblock]

[sblock=Ship]
Xern Junk-Scout Type II Maranda
This is a longer range, updated junk-scout vessel used by the United Frontier Authority (UFA) for standard Regulator transports. It based on an older model Union Scout (at least a hundred years out of date) with various upgrades. It carries no weapons, but its range allow for Regulators to move about within the Reach with little difficulty. This ship is not suitable for patrol or anti-pirate work.
Weight: 429 tons; Cargo Units: 15 (0 available; capacity 0.2 tons)
Hull Class: 0-II (INIT +1d6)
Traits: none
Crew: 2 (cost 400cr/m); Passengers: 4 (standard)

Command & Control Systems
Computers: 1x Highwatch SM-1 Computer (CPU cycles 8; max FTL 8; checks +0d6)
Sensors: Chen-Collins SS-2 (range 4; checks +0d6)

Engine & Power Data
Subluminal: 1x Star Corporation SF-2 Fusion Reactor (power 12; Speed 11; fuel efficiency 1.2)
FTL: 2x Cui-Green Alliance SH-1 Hyperdrive (power 4ea; FLT-X 8.0; fuel efficiency 0.8)
Operational Range: 30 parsecs; Travel Increments: ​8 parsecs

Defensive Data
Superstructure: 6; DEFENSE 28; E-DEFENSE 10
Shields: 1x DayCorp Systems SSN-2 Navigational Shield Generator (power 1; SOAK n/a)

Facilities
Luxury: 100% (adequate; +0d6)
Facilities: Brig (2), Double Cabins (3), Messhall (6)

General Systems
Fueling 2x Fuel Bay Alteration
Market Value: 48.2 MCr (used 24.1 MCr)[/sblock]

GreenKarl

First Post
After the team selected staterooms and bunk-mates they set about getting ready to set out. Echo powered up the engines and Summer started the pre-flight check-list. While the ship was old and patched together the pair could tell it was well maintained and the recycled air was stale the ship appeared sound.

Thirty minutes later the Maranda was slowly lifting off of its mooring and heading towards the docking bay doors and into space. A little over an hour later, the ship had move far enough away from the station that it was safe to jump to hyperspace. Echo of course had been plotting the course for the first jump during this time and when the final calculations where entered into the jump-computer, Summer pushed the engagement value fully forward and space itself seems to bend and then disappear outside the view ports to be replaced by a swilling white... nothingness. Hyperspace!

The team then settle back for a week of this. Nothing really to do but check out the various holo-news and vids stored on the ship's computers. Echo spent most of her time down in the engine room. There were no problems there but she occupied her time running diagnostics and preforming minor maintenance.

This was repeated twice more as the Maranda would drop out of hyperspace after just over a weeks time in the alternative realm. Echo would plot a new course while the rest of them team stared out into space just to see something different.

Just over 20 days later the Maranda entered real space approximately one-half AU from Corvus. The team had gather around the cockpit (mostly standing in the hallway as the cockpit could only hold two persons at a time) and got their first look at the semi-attic planet in front of them. Summer started picking up from radio chatter on the planet and a few shuttles that were operating in-system. Nothing out of the ordinary...

GM: Rolling for Echo while player is still moving; Navigation checks (LOGIC 11/4d6 +Astrogation 1/1d6 plus Gear 0), require 3 total. If Echo gets 11+ on any of her rolls she increase the FTL speed factor allowing the team to arrive on Corvus sooner then expected. Navigation checks: 5D6 = [5, 2, 5, 3, 5] = 20
5D6 = [1, 4, 4, 2, 3] = 14
5D6 = [3, 2, 2, 5, 2] = 14
, success.

GreenKarl

First Post
After a few minute the communicator buzzes and a somewhat static voice come over "Unidentified ship, please state your names and business in this system. You have entered into Chenzua Corporation space. Without authorization we will be forced to contacting UFA government and you are subject to arrest and fines... State your names and business in this system."

mfloyd3

Explorer
Angel leaned back against a carefully-chosen patch of bare bulkhead, steering well clear of the controls. "Charming folks," she muttered. She looked toward Summer, apparently expecting the pilot to respond.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Corvus
December 6, 2321

Hyperspace was the most boring part of freighter travel. Summer had brought a couple books along to read, and some cards and other entertainment options, and watched the holo-vids. Still, she was going a bit stir-crazy by the time they arrived at Corvus, and she was grateful to see the arctic planet below.

When they were hailed, Summer flipped on the comm. “Corvus, this is the Maranda. We are with the Regulators, so we are the bloody government.” She tapped the buttons to send their credentials. “You called us. Thanks for the welcome,” she said sarcastically. “Give me the coordinates where I can put this POS down and we will be about our business with Damion Atos, your boss.

Contrary to her words, Summer had grown fond of the little junk freighter. It was faster than she expected thanks to Echo, and was pretty well maintained.

[sblock=Character Tracker]
Summer Knight Character Sheet
Descriptor: A suave Human smuggler who can’t resist a pretty face.
Melee Defense: 18
Range Defense: 14
Mental Defense: 14
Vital Defense: 10
Health: 12/12
Luck: 3/3d6
Suave (1/day)
Seat of Your Pants: Replenish Luck an extra time per day.
Ammo
  • Disruptor 20
  • Slugger rifle 20
    • Reload 20

[/sblock]

[sblock=Mission]
  • Bring in Bernard family for the Chenzua Corporation on Corvus: Alexandre (father, dead or alive), Nicolette (alive), John (dead or alive), Ike (alive), William (dead or alive).
  • Retrieve Chenzua Corp stolen property.
    • Mobile Mine Processor
  • Register reward levels with UFA A.I. onsite.
  • Contact: Damian Atos (Chenzua general manager), Alpha City, Corvus[/sblock]

[sblock=Ship]
Xern Junk-Scout Type II Maranda
This is a longer range, updated junk-scout vessel used by the United Frontier Authority (UFA) for standard Regulator transports. It based on an older model Union Scout (at least a hundred years out of date) with various upgrades. It carries no weapons, but its range allow for Regulators to move about within the Reach with little difficulty. This ship is not suitable for patrol or anti-pirate work.
Weight: 429 tons; Cargo Units: 15 (0 available; capacity 0.2 tons)
Hull Class: 0-II (INIT +1d6)
Traits: none
Crew: 2 (cost 400cr/m); Passengers: 4 (standard)

Command & Control Systems
Computers: 1x Highwatch SM-1 Computer (CPU cycles 8; max FTL 8; checks +0d6)
Sensors: Chen-Collins SS-2 (range 4; checks +0d6)

Engine & Power Data
Subluminal: 1x Star Corporation SF-2 Fusion Reactor (power 12; Speed 11; fuel efficiency 1.2)
FTL: 2x Cui-Green Alliance SH-1 Hyperdrive (power 4ea; FLT-X 8.0; fuel efficiency 0.8)
Operational Range: 30 parsecs; Travel Increments: ​8 parsecs

Defensive Data
Superstructure: 6; DEFENSE 28; E-DEFENSE 10
Shields: 1x DayCorp Systems SSN-2 Navigational Shield Generator (power 1; SOAK n/a)

Facilities
Luxury: 100% (adequate; +0d6)
Facilities: Brig (2), Double Cabins (3), Messhall (6)

General Systems
Fueling 2x Fuel Bay Alteration
Market Value: 48.2 MCr (used 24.1 MCr)[/sblock]

GreenKarl

First Post
"Wait one" the static-filled voice said back. After a few more minutes of waiting and slowing flying towards the planet the voice came back "OK Maranda you're cleared to land at Alpha City's main port. Sorry we were not expecting you for another week or so. Anyway, follow the Orbital Signal Relay down. Corvus Control out."

Summer easily spotted the locator beacon on the sensors display and piloted the ship towards it. Within about hour they were entered orbit over the half frozen world and started their decent. Alpha City showed up on the display as being located around the equator. Most of the northern hemisphere was covered in ice while the southern half of the planet looked like open plains with a reddish-yellow uniformity to it and a few small mountain ranges. There were two small oceans located there above a large southern ice caps. As the Maranda drew closer Alpha City came into view... an ugly industrial city surrounded by ash covered snow. Many of the towering stacks appeared to be atmospheric processors while the remainder were probably mineral extractor plants.

[sblock=Alpha City] AlphaCity.jpg[/sblock]

The primary landing area is a walled off area east of the city proper. Summer's brought the ship down without problems and the team noticed a group of Chenzua security guards standing a safe distance back. They, along with human male wearing more causal attire, approach the ship looking to meet the team near the Maranda's debarking ramp.

[sblock=Administrator Damian Atos]Schneider.jpg[/sblock]

The man stepped forward as soon as the team appeared at the ramp, nodding his head and holding out his hand in welcome "Mighty glad to see you folks. I'm the Chief Administrator here, Damian Atos. Welcome to Corvus."

The team notices it was fairly cold outside, not much above freezing and much colder then most equatorial locations had any right to be...

GM: The pure Humans on the team - Marx, Angel and Summer - each get +5 XP from coming to a new planet. Everyone also gets +5 for the Role-playing and such so far. I would prefer we wait to spend it but if you have a good explanation (like you have been studying on the way here, etc) maybe

Last edited:

Remove ads