• Party sage

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Scout

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Utility caster

Votes: 26 51.0%

Shadowedeyes

Adventurer
Battlefield controller. 4e wizards filled that role and they were really fun to play. You can spread out the utility spells a bit, with the wizard still getting a good chuck and it would fulfill the main wizard fantasy in my book.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
look I say intellect sage as opposed to wisdom sage is some what core to the wizard experience for no combat situations.

battlefield control is too vague a term to work I need a hard definition.

face is not core to its identity nor is scout so those are out.

past that, we get into the deeply subjective.

honestly, bard being a full caster skill monkey feels like it steps on as many toes.

perhaps if we forced the wizard into more restrictive areas it might be better as well to know what should be part of wizards' sub-entities such as necromancers

Shadowedeyes

Adventurer
You're not wrong about needing to pin down a definition for battlefield control. Even 4e wasn't really sure what that entailed when they first started out, IMO. I also think that you need to figure out the niches of everyone else to solidly do that, which is a bit beyond the original scope of the poll.

Scribe

Legend
You're not wrong about needing to pin down a definition for battlefield control. Even 4e wasn't really sure what that entailed when they first started out, IMO. I also think that you need to figure out the niches of everyone else to solidly do that, which is a bit beyond the original scope of the poll.
Yes if each class has a niche, I'd love to see the consensus on what they are.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Yes if each class has a niche, I'd love to see the consensus on what they are.
that's the thing that this poll isn't really accounting for though, each class has more than one niche that it serves and can lean into, like the results are very clearly showing people think the wizard should be just as much a controller as a utility caster.

Last edited:

Remove ads