Now that 4e is upon us, what will you do?

What will you do?

• Stop the current campaign, switch to 4th edition

Votes: 39 19.4%
  • 4th edition is bringing me back to D&D. We're starting a new 4th edition campaign

Votes: 36 17.9%
  • Business as usual - no conversions.

Votes: 103 51.2%
  • We're converting our ongoing campaign to 4th edition

Votes: 14 7.0%
  • We're converting our ongoing campaign to Pathfinder

Votes: 18 9.0%
  • Stop the current campaign. Play something other than D&D for a while

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Stop the current campaign, switch to Pathfinder

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have no freaking idea.

Votes: 17 8.5%

The Green Adam

First Post
I'll do what I do best...

Star Trek (Last Unicorn Games ICON System), Star Wars (West End Games D6), Mutants & Masterminds or some bizarre mix-n-match homebrew. Been jonesin' to try a new campaign of Faerie's Tale, my homemade Galaxy Quest RPG, a modified Metamorphosis Alpha idea I have or another new or old RPG I've never gotten the chance to GM.

Basically, pretty much anything but D&D of any kind. I promised myself I'd wait until Edition Pi and I'm sticking to my guns.

AD

Neil Bishop

First Post
I'm sticking with 3.5E but thinking about incorporating a few more house rules to change skills (inspired by SW Saga, Pathfinder and 4E) and boosting the number of feats.

I've read through the 4E books and I don't really like what I see. It might prove to be OK (or even great) in play but it doesn't strike me as good enough to ditch my whole library of 3.xE products or campaign notes.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
I have to figure out how much work it will take to convert the current Eberron campaign to 4E before I make a decision. I might finish this one before fully converting to 4E.

Problem I have is 2 people are playing warforged (one will hit juggernaut next level, the other ftr/artifcer 1), another is playing a dwarf monk, and the last is playing a half-orc barbarian.

And yes, that means the four of them are an all melee 3.X group. No, I have no idea how this happened. Yes, it makes planning encounters....interesting.

The Eternal GM

First Post
Having seen 4th Ed. and deciding it is definitely not my kind of game, I'm now happy to be able to turn my attention to Labyrinth Lord without reservation or hesitation.

Impeesa

Explorer
I am sort of thinking at this point that I might just convert straight from 3.5 to 4.5. Not joking. 3E was an overhaul, 3.5 was a refinement with plenty of published material to draw on. 4E is an overhaul again, a clean slate. I like having a lot of crunch options out of the box, so if I'm going to adapt any established game to a whole new system it's only going to be one that's tested, refined, and well-supported.

I am interested to see how long I can stick to my guns on that one, since I am precisely 4E's target audience (starting this fall I probably won't have much time for prep work and such, I play a lot of WoW, etc).

Edit: I can also see myself back-porting subsystems like skill challenges pretty quickly, if nothing else.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
No idea.

I think I'll probably buy the books, read the books, and then put our Warhammer game on hold for a couple of sessions while I run a 4e adventure to test it out, and then go back to Warhammer.

After Warhammer, my plan is to run SWSE for a while, then another Warhammer campaign, and then I don't know. So, unless 4e really impresses, I don't expect to be back to running it for a year or more.

Alternately, I could just not buy the books, run those other campaigns, and then decide what to do...

Invisible Stalker

First Post
Our group finished up Mutants and Masterminds in March.

Since some had never played 1E, we decided to take a qucik trip back in time to play that.

Up next: 4E!

Agamon

Adventurer
der_kluge said:
So, I'm running a PbP game and the topic of whether to convert came up. It seems not feasible to convert given that the party includes a bard, barbarian and sorcerer. So, I'm curious what others plan to do.

This is a poll.

My option isn't on there.

Not ending my current campaign, as it ended last month (Kyuss is dun fer).

But I am starting a new homebrew campaign, and canned adventures is a thing of the past. Between AoW and RttToEE, I've had my fill of that. I'm excited that my DMing chores will be lessened in 4e. Making stuff up will be fun again.

WereSteve

First Post
Well ... since I don't see the option present for what I will most likely be doing ...

Time to dust off the Way Back Machine and visit the days of yore ... most likely Wilderlands under either 1E or 2.5E ...

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I'll continue to play Basic D&D, C&C, 1st edition D&D, and when I feel like it 3.5, most likely on this site. 4th edition and Pathfinder both seem creative and fun games, but they are too superhero-like for my tastes.

Remove ads