• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TSR NuTSR Declares Bankruptcy

NuTSR, owned by Justin LaNasa, has filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, which will liquidate the company's assets. NuTSR's gross revenue so far for 2023 is $621.93 according to the documents filed in North Carolina. This is balanced against total liabilities of just over $384,000. The company made the news over the last couple of years, emerging in 2020 when then-owners Justin LaNasa and Stephen...

65B1E080-EEE9-45DD-AC2C-C55BD9DB6104.jpeg

NuTSR, owned by Justin LaNasa, has filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, which will liquidate the company's assets.

NuTSR's gross revenue so far for 2023 is $621.93 according to the documents filed in North Carolina. This is balanced against total liabilities of just over $384,000.

The company made the news over the last couple of years, emerging in 2020 when then-owners Justin LaNasa and Stephen Dinehart registered the defunct TSR trademarks and launched the new venture with the involvement of Ernie Gygax, one of D&D co-creator Gary Gygax's sons. Over the following months, NuTSR generated controversy after controversy, attempted to sue D&D publishers Wizards of the Coast via a crowdfunding effort, and in March 2022 eventually found itself on the receiving end of a lawsuit from them.

tsr_bankruptcy.png

As a consequence of the bankruptcy petition the current lawsuit between WotC and NuTSR is on hold, postponed until March 2024. NuTSR's website is still active.

JLbankr2.JPG

Shakeshift

Adventurer
The one thing I would like to see if someone does manage to buy the Dungeon Hobby Shop Museum after Justin is forced by court order to put it up for sale, is that whomever the new owner is, they finally just tell Ernie he can't attach himself to their Lake Geneva business and just play pretend in it all day long.

For the DHSM to be a "real" part of gaming history, it needs to be a genuine place for gamers of all types, genders, and creeds, and Ernie's horrible and narrow-minded actions from the last two or three years makes the visits there divisive if he's going to be there like some elderly mascot.

I don't ever want to see Ernie there if I go to visit. I can barely tolerate him when I see him walking around at Gary Con because of all the awful people he's willingly broke bread with these last few years (happily broke bread with, I may add) like Lanasa, Dinehart, and others. Those people were terrible human beings. Absolutely awful.

If the museum really wants to be taken seriously, it has to be a fresh beginning, not just Ernie Gygax's Favorite Place, Part 2. The best way to accomplish that is not let Ernie think of it as his own personal nostalgia ride from forty years ago. Ernie's somewhat problematic personal ideologies hold zero interest for me. I would respectfully come for the gaming history, but not for Ernie Gygax himself. That guy needs to peacefully go away.

FYI, I'm sure @Jedion357 will post here soon, but he's posted on FB that LaNasa has filed to reform TSR in Wisconsin. That's going to go over well with the bankruptcy court.

That doesn't sound quite right. Justin formed a version of TSR in Wisconsin back in 2020:

He also has a version registered in NC:

Both registrations of the company were known to the lawsuit and were properly referenced in the court documents.

parties.JPG

Justin can't get away from this by moving states.

I'm pretty sure Ernie is solidly on the side of Ernie, and will talk lots of bigoted nonsense when he's surrounded by bigots or feels supported by them, and back off when he feels that its in his best interests not to be seen as a bigot. His convictions are decided entirely by his (very limited understanding of his) best interests in the moment.

He'd be equally fine with Nazis or "radical leftists" operating the shop, just as long as he gets to run his games and nobody makes him feel bad when he speaks out of turn.
So he wants no consequences for his continual bad choices. Gotcha.

The best way to accomplish that is not let Ernie think of it as his own personal nostalgia ride from forty years ago. Ernie's somewhat problematic personal ideologies hold zero interest for me. I would respectfully come for the gaming history, but not for Ernie Gygax himself. That guy needs to peacefully go away.
I'm reminded of something Arnold Schwarzenegger wrote in his newsletter recently:

"You can’t accomplish anything in the past, you can’t spend time with anyone in the past, and you sure as hell can’t find happiness in the past."

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads