D&D 5E Obvious Attack Cantrips That Should Exist

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Not everyone thinks it's fun to play a wizard that can perform magic all day long. A reskinned crossbow is still a crossbow. At will attack cantrips make the magic decidedly UNmagical. It's no longer mysterious, it becomes reliable like technology. Boring.

Sadras

Legend
I'm of the opinion that damage-dealing cantrips should be included within the spell list. Not because I am a fan of them, quite the opposite actually, but because there seems to be enough players/DMs who desire such a cantrip within their campaign, perhaps it even fits their high-magic setting. D&D should certainly cater to groups such as these. For those who do not prefer such increased potency within their cantrips perhaps a label could be include under the spell deeming it High-Level Magic Setting be visible. They could do the same with all historically tricky spells such as Invisibility, Fly, Teleport, Raise Dead...etc which would make it easier for the DM to declare that the campaign world is Low-Level Magic Setting so all spells marked High-Level Magic Setting must be ignored. That should please both camps I believe. Of course there is nothing wrong with DMs stating right now which spells to be ignored on the lists, but perhaps the Low-Level Magic Setting DMs just want that confirmation from WOTC.

The Human Target

Adventurer
Not everyone thinks it's fun to play a wizard that can perform magic all day long. A reskinned crossbow is still a crossbow. At will attack cantrips make the magic decidedly UNmagical. It's no longer mysterious, it becomes reliable like technology. Boring.
The non at will can trips are reliable like technology.

ferratus

Adventurer

You know what else is reliable like technology? A crossbow. Yet no one seems to complain about that like they complain about at-will spells. This is baffling to me.

I'll take at-will spells that are reskinned crossbows over the crossbow every time. That is pretty much the alternative that D&D gives me. (In older editions is means putting on armour and weapons when you aren't casting your single spell, which is also problematic if you are playing a pure magic user archetype).

Otherwise, if we are going to be Vancian, make spells genuinely powerful enough to compensate for the fact that they only get a few of them. Chill touch for example, is useless because it requires a spell slot to use a fairly mediocre melee attack, which requires weapon proficiency in crossbow to make the character somewhat viable. Instead, turn chill touch into an at-will power and ditch the crossbow as far as I'm concerned, and save the spell slots for the useful spells like sleep.

Otherwise, if you don't want at will magic, don't go to the crossbows, but go for true vancian casting. The spells should change the combat encounter, either by ending it or by significantly reducing the threat. It is worth carrying a 1st level mage around for 10 encounters if he can make one problematic encounter "go away" with his "I win" button.

Kinak

First Post
I really like the idea of wands as refluffed crossbows for wizards (rather than the traditional charged low-level-spell projector).

I also really liked the idea behind the old playtest sorcerer, where non-spell attack options unlock as you call more and more on your bloodline.

Even reserve feats (obviously wouldn't be feats in 5e) are pretty cool.

At-will attack cantrips aren't a deal breaker. I don't think there's anything really wrong with them, but I feel like they're missing an opportunity to put something cool in that slot.

Cheers!
Kinak

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
There's a lot that's cool with Cantrips, and they do a lot to customize a character.

As I see it, the first choice involves (a) "casual magic" -- can the character do small (non-combat effects) trivially, through Prestidigitation, Druidcraft, or Thaumaturgy? By choosing "yes", there's only one or two cantrips left; "by choosing "no", the player is making a claim about the character's involvement with magic (or magic in the world). that's cool.

After that, there are
(b) Attack cantrips (for all but bards)
(c) support spells (light, mage hand, message)
(d) teambuilding spells (giving direct benefits to others, guidance, resistance, spare the dying)
(e) more ways to "colour" magic in the world (read Magic, minor illusion)

So there's five "types" of cantrip* and no spell caster can have all of them represented. Some will choose an attack cantrip, others won't . And if they do, they potentially can't support the party as well, or they can't do fun party tricks that allow for more creative role-play.

I'd say the general approach to cantrips in 5e is better than what I've seen previously -- it's pretty fun.

(The only thing interfering with this right now, as I see it, is that cantrips are part of a Mage's spell book, and it's just that I've not played enough to see how this works as more cantrips are added. The implied story doesn't work for me either, but that's my hangup, and nothing to do with the game.)

* and please, everyone: this is only one of many possible classifications, and it makes no claims to completeness or rigour; I'm only setting out the way I see it when I've been making spell casters with the play test materials.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Well, Paladins and Rangers don't have cantrips, so, yeah. If it helps "(for all but bards and those classes which do not cast cantrips)".

Unless, that is, they are a high elf or they take a feat. So, really, no problem, right?

While I've generally thought that some of the at-wills 4e bards got were ridiculous, I on the other hand feel that there should be a Bard subclass that's "more magical" and could get access to some. But then again anyone can get the arcane initiate feat and pick 2 mage cantrips.

Even though the Hinder action is not the most elaborated on action, some could allow use of Minor Illusion a non-attack cantrip to be used for hindering.

Remove ads