D&D General One Piece of Art IX (Wildcard)- What NON-D&D Art Inspired You to Love D&D?

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Welcome to part NINE in the art appreciation series- One Piece of Art! Prior columns can be found here:
Part I (Classes)
Part II (Monsters)
Part III (Magic Items)
Part IV (Races)
Part V (Places)
Part VI (Maps)
Part VII (Spells)
Part VIII (People)

Today's topic ... Wildcard!

What non-D&D Art Made You Love D&D?

This is a little weird ... basically, we are looking for a piece of art (probably fantasy art) that had nothing to do with TSR/WoTC/D&D that you loved, and somehow managed to worm its way into your head like the critters in Star Trek II ... so that you associate it with D&D. It could be anything from a Frazetta piece to a Dali painting to a cover on an old Conan book.

As always ... please note the following rules for the thread-

1. ONE piece of art. You shall count to one. If you do two, you've gone two ... um, too far. Three is just way out. And zero means you forgot to post something. Now, I know that everyone just ignores this ... but try your best!

2. It has to be art you love, and please explain why! Maybe you think it just looks cool. Whatever! It's your love, don't make me put a label on it.

3. Explain the art source (incl. artist if known), the spell (if known), and why you chose it. Please!

Now, as usual, I will start this thread off. Have to admit, there's a lot I could do. But I always go with the curveball ....

p4742_p_v8_aa.jpg

Artist: Unknown for the poster, but Ralph Bakshi did the art design (of course).
Source: Movie Poster for Wizards (1977)
Depicting: Necron 99 / Peace

Why this one? Well, along with books like Lord of Light (Zelazny), this image, and the movie (which ... yeah, does not age well) gave me the constant impetus to keep "crossin' the streams" when it comes to D&D. There was never a genre dividing line for me- fantasy, science fiction, westerns ... it just all went into the blender.

Also, a request. I really wanted to include this weird poster from, I think, the 70s. I can't locate it anywhere. It was a croll-type poster (much wider than tall). the foreground had a wall. On the left side was a jumping black cat. On the right side was a mysterious buddha-like figure with four or six arms. in the background was a city of some kind. If this sounds familiar, or you can source it ... please let me know and "at" me!

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Also, a request. I really wanted to include this weird poster from, I think, the 70s. I can't locate it anywhere. It was a croll-type poster (much wider than tall). the foreground had a wall. On the left side was a jumping black cat. On the right side was a mysterious buddha-like figure with four or six arms. in the background was a city of some kind. If this sounds familiar, or you can source it ... please let me know and "at" me!
Could it have been for a book cover? The reason I ask is because they often have somewhat disconnected elements in them like cities in the background, statues, etc separate from the main focus of the cover, particularly for the back cover as the art wrapped around.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Could it have been for a book cover? The reason I ask is because they often have somewhat disconnected elements in them like cities in the background, statues, etc separate from the main focus of the cover, particularly for the back cover as the art wrapped around.

It was an actual poster .... it could have been a book cover as well, but the version I saw was definitely used as a poster.

arakasi

Explorer
I'm also going with a Michael Whelan cover. I have a full size framed print of this hanging in my living room
This one is a bit of a stretch for the rules: these days, it reminds me more of Lot5R than D&D. I'll count it, though, because when I first came across it, I was thinking Kara-Tur, not Rokugan.

Attachments

• shontosgarden.jpg
    shontosgarden.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 68

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I'll see if I can find it...there was a poem in my middle school English Lit textbook. I can't remember the author or the title, so it might take me a minute to hunt it down.

But anyway, the author was sitting on the edge of a fjord in Newfoundland or Iceland or somewhere similar, listening to the fishermen below as they used bugles to communicate with each other. The sounds of their bugles echoing off of the castle-like cliffs of the fjords inspired him to write a really haunting and beautiful poem about loss. And it just so happened that I stumbled upon this poem while I was reading CM1: Test of the Warlords, a D&D module set in the imaginary kingdom of Norwold that resembles that same, real-world place. The two are now completely intertwined in my brain.

EDIT: Found it.

"The Splendor Falls" by Alfred Lord Tennyson

The splendor falls on castle walls
And snowy summits old in story;
The long light shakes across the lakes,
And the wild cataract leaps in glory.
Blow, bugle, blow, set the wild echoes flying,
Blow, bugle; answer, echoes, dying, dying, dying.

O, hark, O, hear! how thin and clear,

And thinner, clearer, farther going!
O, sweet and far from cliff and scar
The horns of Elfland faintly blowing!
Blow, let us hear the purple glens replying,
Blow, bugles; answer, echoes, dying, dying, dying.

O love, they die in yon rich sky,

They faint on hill or field or river;
Our echoes roll from soul to soul,
And grow forever and forever.
Blow, bugle, blow, set the wild echoes flying,
And answer, echoes, answer, dying, dying, dying.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases