D&D (2024) OneD&D Playtest 6: What's Your Top Ten?

What are your Top Ten elements of the new playtest packet?

• The Bard class as a whole (pg. 1-8)

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Design notes: Bard Updates (pg. 2-3)

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Bard subclass: College of Dance (pg. 5)

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Bard subclass: College of Glamour (pg. 6)

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Bard subclass: College of Lore (pg. 7)

• The Cleric class as a whole (pg. 9-16)

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Design notes: Cleric Updates (pg. 9-10)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Cleric subclass: Life Domain (pg. 13)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cleric subclass: Light Domain (pg. 14)

• Cleric subclass: Trickery Domain (pg. 15)

• Cleric subclass: War Domain (pg. 16)

• The Druid class as a whole (pg. 17-24)

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Design notes: Druid Updates (pg. 18)

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Druid subclass: Circle of the Land (pg. 21)

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Druid subclass: Circle of the Moon (pg. 23)

• Druid subclass: Circle of the Sea (pg. 24)

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • The Monk class as a whole (pg. 25-31)

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Design notes: Monk Updates (pg. 25-26)

• Monk subclass: Warrior of Shadow (pg. 29)

• Monk subclass: Warrior of the Elements (pg. 30)

• Monk subclass: Warrior of the Hand (pg. 31)

• The Paladin class as a whole (pg. 32-40)

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Design notes: Paladin Updates (pg. 33)

• Paladin subclass: Oath of Devotion (pg. 36)

• Paladin subclass: Oath of Glory (pg. 37)

• Paladin subclass: Oath of the Ancients (pg. 38)

• Paladin subclass: Oath of Vengeance (pg. 39)

• The Ranger class as a whole (pg. 41-47)

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Design notes: Ranger Updates (pg. 41-42)

• Ranger subclass: Beast Master (pg. 44)

• Ranger subclass: Gloom Stalker (pg. 46)

• Ranger subclass: Hunter (pg. 47)

• The Rogue class as a whole (pg. 48-55)

Votes: 24 64.9%
  • Design notes: Rogue updates (pg. 48)

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Rogue subclass: Arcane Trickster (pg. 51)

• Rogue subclass: Assassin (pg. 53)

• Rogue subclass: Thief (pg. 54)

• Multiclassing updates (pgs. 3, 10, 18, 26, 33, 42, and 49)

• Spell lists were overhauled (pg. 56-61)

• The Arcane spell list (pg. 56)

• The Divine spell list (pg. 59)

• The Primal spell list (pg. 60)

• Design notes: spell updates (pg. 62)

• This/These specific spell(s) (describe in your comment):

• Design notes: Feat updates (pg. 66)

• Ability Score Improvement is now a feat (pg. 67)

• Fighting Styles are now Feats (pg. 67)

• Design notes: Weapons (pg. 67)

• Revised weapon properties (pg. 69)

• Weapon Mastery Properties (pg. 69)

• New list of Adventuring Gear (pg. 70)

• Rules clarifications as a whole (pg. 70-75)

• This/These specific rules clarification(s) (describe in your comment):

• Meh, nothing really impressed me in this playtest packet.

• Well, see, that's a complicated question. I'll explain below.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
So by now, you've seen the news: Wizards of the Coast has released their sixth playtest packet for OneD&D. And it's a big one! 77 pages, full of feats and classes and weapons and combat rules and all sorts of goodies! If you haven't had a chance to read it, you should grab your free copy right here.

My question for the forum: what are your Top Ten elements of the new playtest? (Vote for up to ten favorites.)

NOTE: This playtest packet is immense, and contains a ton of stuff. I've tried my best to break it down into categories that made sense, without making the poll too large to be useable. (That's why each Subclass has its own line in the poll, but all of the individual spells and rules clarifications were lumped together.) If you need to explain how or why you voted a certain way, please do so in the comments below. For example, if you really like the "Heroic Advantage" rule on pg. 72, but you utterly despise the "Magic [Action]", you can +Vote for "specific rules clarification" and then explain in a comment below. I apologize if this lacks nuance in the poll, but it was really the only way to keep this poll a reasonable size.

Unless someone wants to make individual polls for spells, feats, weapons, rules...

mellored

Legend
Bard picking any spell list. Personally i would take it a step further, and just start with magical secrets.

Dance bard. It's about time, and very well done.

Druids bonus action wild shape for all makes it much more useful.

Moon druid being moon themed. And wild shape being balanced.
-Still need a way to stay in wolf / spider / favorite form at higher levels, and no be forced into a mammoth (possibly by adding CR 3-6 wolves and other beasts).
-also, you should be immune to your own moonbeam. A simple push can really hurt you otherwise.

Sea druid is also about time, and pretty well done. The sea spray stuff is a little odd, but ok.

Way of the shadows moving darkness is a great upgrade for the mobile class.

Way of the elements is fun now. Perfect for the kite monk.

Cunning strike is great. Really feel like fighters could do similar.

Weapon mastery. Though that was last packet.

... that's 9...

Trickery domain is more refined now.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Bard spell list choices. And Dance Bard. and Circle of the Sea Druid. And Warden Druids! There's so many goodies here, I'm like a kid in a candy store

Anyone remember when they weren't going to allow Bards to have the incredibly-Bardy Prismari subclass because Bards only do music, not dance? Boy have the times changed!

Power word kill, now doing damage (12d12) if target have more than the required number of hit points.
I guess that some will ask Can we do an attack roll instead, just to have a chance to crit!

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
My favorite thing is easily Cunning Strike. Other than that, I like the updates to all the classes (still don’t really like the ranger, but I’ve accepted it’s just not for me), and like the new subclasses quite a bit, especially College of Dance Bard. Seems like they may finally be willing to let non-monk characters be good at punching, which is long overdue. I also really like the Paladin being refocused around enhancing the aura, and Divine Smite becoming a spell just makes sense with how the other smites worked. Overall really pleased with this UA, it has restored my excitement for the new rules after the warlock blunder. And, seeing the route they went with wild shape makes me more confident that they’ll be able to find a solution to give warlocks more spells that won’t be so disruptive to their progression structure.

It's definitely Dance Bard. It does its own thing. Bards freely picking their spell lists is an improvement how their old spell list was mostly just a copy of Wizard's... but it now heavily steps on Ranger toes (both can get Expertise + Primal spells + extra attack, only one of them is also a full caster).

Rogue gets mostly salvaged with just ONE added feature. I say mostly, because their second subclass feature should not be randomly thrown to lv9 just to punish them when no other class gets that, but at least it saves you time when you only ever need to read what they get at lv3.

Turning Paladin smites into bonus action spells is a clean way to unify the smite spells and deal with Paladins being nothing but alpha strike bots. It is admittedly weird how they are now even more the pet class (and don't need to spend their own actions on having their pet take combat actions, and, thanks to 1 mile telepathy, can just use it to scout without having to have sneaky skills themselves), but at least the new Find Steed clarifies controlled-vs-uncontrolled mount and it's no longer a warhorse with trample.

Last edited:

It's definitely Dance Bard. It does its own thing. Bards freely picking their spell lists is an improvement how their old spell list was mostly just a copy of Wizard's... but it now heavily steps on Ranger toes (both can get Expertise + Primal spells + extra attack, only one of them is also a full caster).

Rogue gets mostly salvaged with just ONE added feature. I say mostly, because their second subclass feature should not be randomly thrown to lv9 just to punish them when no other class gets that, but at least it saves you time when you only ever need to read what they get at lv3.

Turning Paladin smites into bonus action spells is a clean way to unify the smite spells and deal with Paladins being nothing but alpha strike bots. It is admittedly weird how they are now even more the pet class (and don't need to spend their own actions on having their pet take combat actions, and, thanks to 1 mile telepathy, can just use it to scout without having to have sneaky skills themselves), but at least the new Find Steed clarifies controlled-vs-uncontrolled mount and it's no longer a warhorse with trample.
Sadly, subclass restructuring was thrown out of the window to shut down the "incompatible crowd".
:(

Remove ads