[OOC] OOC thread about the non-iconics adventure (part deux)

reapersaurus

First Post
CRGreathouse said:
Murhid's no-nonsense attitude is his major positive quality, as far as Kytess is concerned. It is one of the only things that lets her get beyond her "shell". If you drop that, you'll make it very hard for me to show Kytess as anything *but* a hard-nosed warrior.

Having said that, the biggest issue with Kytess at the moment is the sword she gave to Jalon. That could have interesting effects...
CR - since it seems most everyone else is asleep.... :(

I read back to this and was curious : how can a 'no-nonsense' attitude help you to roleplay Kytess out of her shell?

Why would Murhid's roleplay be the only character that can help you to show Kytess as anything but a warrior?

I thought there's been may instances of interaction where she has the opportunity to.
I'm not thoroughly clear on her. As i understand, she denies herself pleasure or feeling, out of fear that any indulgences will lead to death (a very battle-field mentality), and she internally yearns for some purpose in her life.
Some thing that will help her transcend the brutish things she's seen and the fear that everyone is forgettable, and there will be no one to mourn her if she dies.

Murhid - I still have no sense of what he's really about, other than sounding cryptic and aloof.
Maybe it's a language barrier?
Murhid - is German your native tongue?
I think that's why I didn't make any sense of Thanee's last response to me, also?

Jalon - I wish I had more info about Tyr, but your character seems consistent and strongly identifiable, if just a bit weird how someone who's all about justice supports the injustice of racial profiling in spite of evidence to the contrary.
His last post where he stood up for Ubaar's actions marking him as different from his heritage was beautiful.
I'm surprised he supports the actions of the fairly-inefeective halflings, tho - is Tyr a war-god? Wouldn't he want people to be good at war?
That's partly why Ubaar is continuing to poke at the halflings - to try to get them more concerned about surviving, and less about bumbling around and looking cute. LOL :(

Ivellios - Recently, I think you've been getting a better sense of the character, and many figuring a way to work within the group, while still staying true to the character concept.
I didn't get your response about the question, "Can Ivellios's concept ever actually accept Ubaar as a companion?"
And again, great work on the group picture.

To finish, I'm surprised that there are so often huge lulls in the game.
We have 8 people, and i doubt if all of us are busy during the day.
I sometimes feel it takes a monumental roleplaying effort to get any response out of others on a consistent basis (other than Kytess).

From what I'm reading, Heavy G doesn't exactly want to do all his combat work for nothing.
I'm sure he's not gung-ho to have us jump into another month-and-a-half worth of combat, with little-to-no character interaction.

How did you like roleplaying the priest of Chauntea, Heavy? ;)
Ubaar'll bring him a rose, if the church ends up being helpful again. :)

Can't wait to see you roleplay another monster down in the Dungeon! LOL
enuff thoughts for now - i just hope some people respond, or I'm wondering if there's any purpose in continuing this 'adventure'. :(

edit: Hell, Conaill's been more involved in the thread recently thatn many of the 'participants'. *pained chuckling*

Last edited:

Hrm, well I posted in the psionisicle recently and the round hasn't resolved, in the non-iconics adventure I've been getting confused messages about the group and inner fighting altohugh i'll post soon, Heroes of the Worlds I've posted a few times last night and once today, Swashbucklers i've posted a lil bit, the IR is sucking a great bit of my time out, I think I've been posting ok, tell me in any ones that you haven't seen me in...

Murhid

First Post
reapersaurus said:
Murhid - I still have no sense of what he's really about, other than sounding cryptic and aloof.
Maybe it's a language barrier?
Murhid - is German your native tongue?
Correct English is my second language.

On the topic of our characters: I still have no sense of what Ubaar is really about.... other than trying to be a good Half-Orc, and someone who wants to grope Kytess. And I know that you have put effort into Ubaar to make him a bit more in depth than that, as I have with Murhid, I just don't think it gets through.
Concerning the other characters I very much like the way Jalon (who I would like to see post more often, though I realize, time probably doesn't permit), Kytess, Iv, and Taz have been posting. I understand that Sollir (the player and the character) is a combat oriented person and that is totally understandable, also his character isn't the best for role-playing. And lastly, I think HG has been a champ, putting up with us and all.

Now with the amount of posting, I personally have been busy during these last couple days. However I am near my computer a lot of the time and I did have time to check the boards and I did have sufficient time to post. Though I'll say frankly, posting would have been a fruitless exercise like it is a lot of the time. If I would have tried to move the group onto another area I'd probably get ignored or ranted at, and IC wise Murhid would not want to talk to any of the group members, having nothing in common with any but Kytess, who herself seems occupied with thoughts of Jalon. Well that's how it is for me anyway... :rolleyes: I have thought on how to start something with Ubaar, I just don't know how. He seems to only accept those who can kill things which is a little ironic to what you, reaper have been trying to achieve out of us...

PS. Murhid is my character and he will be role-played in which way I see fit. Though if you do see some F'd up grammar/spelling or have some constructive advice on how to role-play Murhid, please say so! I can only improve from it.

reapersaurus

First Post
Good post, Murhid.

That's the kind of communication that can help understanding.
Seriously.

And please understand, I'm not telling you how to play your character- he's all yours - I'm simply trying to give you my impressions and opinions of the character.
Hopefully that's OK.

Thanee - i think we're just not reading each other right.
Never mind.

From Murhid's statements, I'm beginning to wonder if anyone's been reading what huge amounts of in-character philosophy and approach I've been putting in for Ubaar.
Maybe we all are just reading the actions of the characters, and not the words in non-combat situations? (Because I'm missing all but Kytess' philosophy and approach)
Of course, those that don't talk in non-combat situations, it makes it harder to get a feel for their characters, of course... :(

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
reapersaurus said:
I read back to this and was curious : how can a 'no-nonsense' attitude help you to roleplay Kytess out of her shell?

Why would Murhid's roleplay be the only character that can help you to show Kytess as anything but a warrior?
The similarity in outlook ("no-nonsense" is just one example) makes Kytess more comfortable around Murhid than the others. She feels a kind of kinship to him, and as such is more likely to let something "slip".

Kytess sees Ubaar as her polar opposite: an uncontrolled, orderless combatant. Ivellios also lacks respect for proper authority, and has shown himself to be a bigot as well. Despite her comments to the contrary, she doesn't think much of the halflings. Jalon is distant, and this is only reinforced by his position of leadership. Murhid, though equally distant, seems to be like Kytess: quiet, orderly, and with a dark past.

reapersaurus said:
I'm not thoroughly clear on her. As i understand, she denies herself pleasure or feeling, out of fear that any indulgences will lead to death (a very battle-field mentality), and she internally yearns for some purpose in her life.
Some thing that will help her transcend the brutish things she's seen and the fear that everyone is forgettable, and there will be no one to mourn her if she dies.
She denies herself worldly pleasures more out of habit than anything else; she thinks of such things as frivolous. She does not lead a particularly self-aware life or analyze her own motives.

She's not afraid that she'll die and be forgotten - indeed, she's resigned to that fate.

She does yearn for a meaning to life, but does not realize this yet. This is one of the larget reasons she's drawn to Murhid - he seems to have the answers to life, displayed by his (annoying, mystic, monk-like) serenity.

reapersaurus

First Post
ahhh.... NOW I get it!
Great post, CR.

Order is what she's looking for, and purpose in a life devoid of any future.
The mystic, aloof monk MAY have the answers she doesn't even know she seeks.
Got it.

Man, that was ust way easy to understand, CR.
Wish it was that way all the time.

I'm curious, CR - do YOU have a 'handle' on Ubaar's approach and motivations?
I'd appreciate if you'd throw back at me any impressions you've gotten...

It might help me make things clearer to the others in the party...?

Remove ads