[OOC] OOC thread about the non-iconics adventure (part deux)

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
reapersaurus said:
I'm curious, CR - do YOU have a 'handle' on Ubaar's approach and motivations?
I'd appreciate if you'd throw back at me any impressions you've gotten...

I think I understand Ubaar's basic motivations & perspectives, but I'd appreciate a post on the subject, just to clarify things.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
reapersaurus said:
The mystic, aloof monk MAY have the answers she doesn't even know she seeks.

Exactly. It's a subconcious thing mainly - Murhid doesn't appear to have the inner demons Kytess does. (See Kytess' dream.)

reapersaurus said:
Order is what she's looking for, and purpose in a life devoid of any future.

Order* is something that Kytess conciously seeks - the order she found in the army. She expects all aspects of her life to run with military precision, and works toward that end constantly (breaking up Ubaar/Ivellios, insisting on formal leadership, etc.).

Purpose for her life is a much deeper and stronger need, but she has no insight** into her own problem. She feels it as an almost tangible lack, but assumes she can fix it on her own somehow. This leads to her restlessness, as she tries things in the hope of finding the answer.

* Despite her love of order and control, Kytess is a free spirit at heart. She left her town to wander the world, and took up the life of an adventurer for no reason other than to better herself. Thus, I chose her alignment as N instead of LN.
** This is one of the reasons I chose to drop Kytess' Wisdom to 7, in addition to her general impulsiveness. She's not cut out to be a leader. Interestingly, she realizes that she'd make a poor commander and acts accordingly, finding an appropriate leader and pledging loyalty.

Thanee

First Post
Well, how does Taz see her companions...

Jalon is righteous and honorable. His highest priority is to uphold the law. A little too serious for her tastes, but loyal to his cause and his companions and overall a very trustworthy and reliable person. He's also a very good fighter and tactician.

Kytess is by far the best fighter in the group and has a great tactical sense. She's had some very bad moments in life and hides her true being (if she's not completely burned out already) behind a cold attitude and excessive fighting excercises. Whether this is on purpose or a result of her unpleasant experiences, Taz cannot say. Her rare nice moments give a little hope for her true being to surface eventually. She doesn't fear anything more than to be caught unprepared. Completely disciplined and reliable when it comes to fighting, but very reserved otherwise.

Ivellios is wild and untamed and a very simple mind. A really nice guy under a rough shell. He loves nature and fighting, but also had some hard times in the past, mostly caused by the hated orcs. He does accept Ubaar as different from his orc-kin, who led to Ivellios' suffering, but is obviously annoyed by the constant verbal attacks of the half-orc. He is fierce in combat, but lacks tactical sense and often rushes headfirst into battle, without thinking about the consequences. Not someone to rely on, unless given directions, which he usually follows.

Ubaar seems motivated by physical strength almost exclusively. He could be an excellent fighter, but his lack of tactical understanding and very undisciplined/chaotic way of fighting lessen his effectiveness somewhat. Still he tries hard to show by example, that (half-)orcs are not by default evil, which he clearly succeeds at, while often resorting to being funny, something he rarely succeeds at. He has a great sense for rythm and music, tho. He calls Ivellios a racist, since he is prejudiced against orcs, but is a kind of "racist" himself, judging others by their physical strength and fighting prowess only. Even more than Ivellios, he's very unreliable, except for taking on the biggest foes in combat to show his superiority in strength - maybe has to do something with his worshipped deity.

Murhid loves fighting and to observe others to probably learn from them. He displays the calm of a studying monk, but seems to be reluctant to let others know of his excitement, when he can observe or even take part in a fight. He wants to prove most useful for the group, always eager to help others, but shy to voice his own opinion.

Sollir is somewhat contradictory. While being a pretty good shot, he doesn't like to see others suffering and seems reluctant to fight himself unless necessary. He is pretty nimble, but sometimes acts rather clumsy. Maybe he's trying to hide something, or it is just his way to show devotion to his deity Brandobaris.

Bye
Thanee

reapersaurus

First Post
CRGreathouse said:
Exactly. It's a subconcious thing mainly - Murhid doesn't appear to have the inner demons Kytess does. (See Kytess' dream.)
Actually, after re-reading that portion of the adventure (you guys DO occasionally re-read them, do you?), I don't see how any player could be very confused about Ubaar's approach.

I really laid it all out on that page, did a lot of work to, at least.

Wait a minute, CR - Kytess doesn't even KNOW she has inner demons! :)
She doesn't remember her frustrating and imprisoning dreams...

Jalon Odessa

First Post
Urgh, well I'm back - sorry I didn't give you guys notice that I was going out of town, but I didn't realise I'd be leaving for the weekend until a few minutes before I left.

Damn impulsive and chaotic priests of Tyr. :p

I'll be back to post in both the IC and OOC threads in *yawn* the morning - I really need some sleep before I'll be able to type anything coherant though....

Jalon Odessa

First Post
Ubaar, re: Jalon the racist.

It's not so much that Jalon supports racial stereotyping, but rather that his upbringing does. Being the son of a wealthy merchant family, Jalon lead a very secluded, sheltered life and tended to see very little of the 'real world' (This has all changed since becoming a mighty warrior in the service of Tyr, however). So although the doctrine of his church is that all should be judged exclusively on their actions, rather than their race, and Jalon believes this to the utmost, that doesn't mean he won't be uncomfortable in unfamiliar circumstances.

Ubaar is the first person of orcish descent Jalon's met in his life, and although he'd never overtly criticise Ubaar for his heritage his manner of adressing Ubaar was a little less than polite earlier in the adventure - simply because he assumed that Ubaar was something of a savage. Now that he's seen that this isn't (entirely :p) the case, he'll be alot more sensative towards the issue of Ubaar's background.

As for the other members of the party -

Jalon considers Kytess to be a great warrior and tactician, but also to be far too cold towards others, and also a little brash. He can see that although she's young she has seen much suffering in her life, and for this reason tends to be a little protective of her. Given her age and stature, Jalon sees her as his ward, and would like to guide her towards the path of Tyr to help in overcoming her demons.

Taz is the jack-of-all trades of the group - helpful in combat with her magic (colour spray!) and she seems well-adapted to guiding the party through the dungeon. Given that Taz has been nothing short of polite and courteous towards the rest of the party, Jalon will tend to reciprocate, often addressing her as 'm'lady' or a similar archaic title.

Jalon views Ivellios as an undisciplined loner, and would like to pull him into line more often than he does. Maybe if Ivellios could shut his mouth for a moment the party would be alot more cohesive. He also, however, recognises Ivellios outstanding abilities in combat - perhaps this new-found devotion to Corellon will help him to focus his energies a little better?

Sollir is still in Jalon's bad-books after the egg incident.

In Murhid Jalon can see a great wisdom and a philisophical mind. He respects Murhid's devotion and discipline and also his tactical cunning. Given that he views himself as the party leader, Jalon considers Murhid to be his right-hand man, and would gladly heed his council if only he'd speak up more often.

Back to Ubaar, Jalon admires his enthusiasm and battle-prowess, and also his devotion to his god. He also believes that Ubaar, like Ivellios, is too headstrong and hasty, and should consider the party as a whole more often. With a little more discipline Ubaar could focus his already powerful combat abilities to an even greater level.

Conaill

First Post
map

Here ya go. Let me know if there's anything missing...

[See a couple of posts below for updated map!]

Last edited:

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Conaill said:
I've got something whipped up, if you're interested. (Of course, I wouldn't want to deprive any of the participants of some extra XP... ;))

Conaill, you're amazing!

Last edited:

Remove ads