• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OOC] Quickleaf's Rime of the Frostmaiden [closed for now]

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
I love it and definitely wasn't expecting to use it that much. I basically took it because it's a very "druidy" spell, and didn't want to just have power gaming spells. I'm so glad I did ;-)
I still think this should be a cantrip, or a standard druid ability, but casting it as a ritual is working too, at least for the moment ;-)
Cheers,

SG

domminniti

Explorer
I love it and definitely wasn't expecting to use it that much. I basically took it because it's a very "druidy" spell, and didn't want to just have power gaming spells. I'm so glad I did ;-)
I still think this should be a cantrip, or a standard druid ability, but casting it as a ritual is working too, at least for the moment ;-)
Cheers,

SG
I've had it on spell lists for while campaigns and its had less use all campaign!

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Sure, we have enough trackers/guides/naturalist - I can it is safe to assume we have the basics (food, water, salt, warming stuff and medications, basic snow equipment at the very least) - I mean, we're on a short timeframe, but still experienced.

Quickleaf

Legend
OK, I'll get a post together making some assumptions, based on what I'm hearing from you all. If my assumptions are off, just let me know and I can edit.

I'm assuming you're going direct to Kelvin's Cairn, passing through villages on the way without stopping in them.

Btw for this adventure, generally speaking the gear you have is what you have. I'm not assuming anything about your possessions. There's no "schroedinger's equipment" or "narratively assumed equipment." If want something, you start with it, you find it, you trade for it, you steal it, or you craft it. Why? Cause there are points in the adventure where knowing what you're carrying becomes important, and I'd like to get in that habit to avoid confusion later on. It may not seem important now, but it will be. That's why the item slot encumbrance is there – to make this bit of logistics easier.

Last edited:

domminniti

Explorer
Before we proceed should we get some tents or other form of shelter?
ah, if we get stuck overnight some other group of adventurers will come and save us.... right...?

But yeah might be a good idea to pick some up!

Do you think it would be good to have some sort of way to quickly indicate "I have nothing to add, please proceed to the next bit" ? Eg liking the post or something? That way the DM can see that everyone has caught up and done all the interaction they want to. I've noticed we have a few days slowdown at the end of a scene.

@Quickleaf Is it possible to do a tactical assessment roll to keep an eye out for positions that Russet would think he would use to lay an ambush - thinking a Yeti might choose the same.. He knows mountain combat well. That way when he sees somewhere that seems particularly advantageous he can tell his allies to be on guard and look (or otherwise sense) for hidden yetis or whatever. Would it be one roll for the whole ascent or something different?

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Before we proceed should we get some tents or other form of shelter?
If you want tents, a 2-person tent costs 2 gp (and takes up 2 Item Slots worth of encumbrance).

Do you think it would be good to have some sort of way to quickly indicate "I have nothing to add, please proceed to the next bit" ? Eg liking the post or something? That way the DM can see that everyone has caught up and done all the interaction they want to. I've noticed we have a few days slowdown at the end of a scene.
That could work, simple liking the post = good to go, nothing to add, ready to progress the scene.

Since we're all getting used to each other, PbP, and perhaps my GM style, I am being a little more aggressive with scene transitions. I expect that will change as we play, get more comfortable, establish a rhythm, etc. But I like your suggestion here. But I do notice there's a bit of a lag like you said. I'm willing to roll with whatever consensus is.

@Quickleaf Is it possible to do a tactical assessment roll to keep an eye out for positions that Russet would think he would use to lay an ambush - thinking a Yeti might choose the same.. He knows mountain combat well. That way when he sees somewhere that seems particularly advantageous he can tell his allies to be on guard and look (or otherwise sense) for hidden yetis or whatever. Would it be one roll for the whole ascent or something different?
Sure. So for the mountain ascent, I'm loosely using exploration "roles", so whoever is tracking they're just tracking and not, for example, keeping an eye out for danger or casting rituals.

I think you're signaling that you want Russet to take on the role of a Lookout, so you're making an active Perception check to try to minimize the # of PCs who might be surprised during a yeti ambush? Am I getting you right?

Remove ads