• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OOC] Quickleaf's Rime of the Frostmaiden [closed but waitlist is available]

Quickleaf

Legend
I'm unsure how to start off the new scene.
I can narrate you finding Garret's old base camp, if that would help?

I was hesitant to do that cause I was already fast-forwarding an aggressive scene change, and didn't want to cut off any roleplay or ideas you all might want to try.

Necropolitan

Adventurer
I can narrate you finding Garret's old base camp, if that would help?

I was hesitant to do that cause I was already fast-forwarding an aggressive scene change, and didn't want to cut off any roleplay or ideas you all might want to try.
I'm fine with that if the other players are.

Quickleaf

Legend
I'm fine with that if the other players are.
Ok, I updated my post with a brief description of the base camp in the distance.

Also, cross-posting this from the IC Thread:

You may wish to use the OOC Thread to plan your approach. If you're at a loss, here are some questions to consider: Are you ascending now or waiting a few hours for the light of the midnight aurora (it's roughly 9:00pm now)? Are you taking the dog Boy with you? Do you have a particular "marching order" now or does it not matter? Who is in the lead & who is holding light? Are you using a climber's kit or rope to tie to each other? Are you changing what you're holding in your hands or have equipped?

These are some "exploration roles" that I use behind the screen when adjudicating your intent. If you're more comfortable having a codified rule option for communicating your intent, you can use these. As I said, they are not meant to constrain your imagination or be exhaustive:
  • No role (i.e. watching for danger) – apply your Passive Perception to avoid being ambushed; taking on any of the special roles below means you're not able to use Passive Perception (i.e. automatically surprised by ambushing monsters unless you have Natural Explorer: Mountain, the Alertness feat, etc).
  • Dog Tender - keep close to Boy, make Animal Handling check (or auto-success with speak with animals) to figure out what he's indicating and keep him from rushing off into harm's way
  • Lookout - make an active Perception check to alert some of the party to potential threats, implying the PC is scouting ahead a bit from the party so is maybe 100-200 feet ahead/apart
  • Navigator - watching for landslides/avalanches, potential caves, avoiding especially strenuous climbing sections, etc. using Nature or Survival (in overland travel – not this scenario – navigator would also be avoiding getting lost)
  • Tracker - focusing on Garret/sled tracks as well as keeping eye for monster tracks, Survival check
  • Spellcasting - if you're casting a ritual repeatedly or concentrating on a spell
  • Investigator - constructing a narrative of what happened to Garret, based on observations (no check, just what GM narrates), what other PCs learn, and potentially Investigation or Insight checks, this one wouldn't be rolled immediately but after a bit of exploration and other player's actions

Last edited:

domminniti

Explorer
I think we should tie eachother together.

We should probably have multiple torchbearers or light casters. I can volunteer, though having the sheild equipped would be nice. Russet feels like we will be spotted before we spot it, light or no light.

I can go tracker, but if others want to take it I'm happy to go no role.

I guess going towards the front makes sense for the fighter.

I feel like going now might be good, but would be pretty scary! At least get to the base camp anyway.

During climbing sections I'll sling the sheild and spear obviously.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Lumrolur would dislike lights and would prefer to go forward to warn of the potential ambushes/problematic spots

As for changing the scene: I would suggest you leave the post couple of days. If someone has something to post they will. Maybe up to five days if it is a major change.

PbP is slow, this posting rate will not last, it is just a starting enthusiasm :) But I'd like to be proven wrong

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
From the IC post, expanded a bit:
  • Corse is offering to be Lookout and go ahead (Perc +7). That would put her in front with her light.
  • She is willing to be Navigator, tracker, or Investigator (+4) if someone else wants to be lookout.
  • She does not see a need to bring the dog if Eve will look after it, but won't press the point if others want Boy along.
  • Possibly she could hammer in some pitons or do something similar to make the climb easier for others?

domminniti

Explorer
I've got no idea how we're meant to find a consensus on an plan with pbp! its something most synchronous groups struggle with.
I like the idea of a day limit on stuff, then DM scene transitions.
Corse going looking sounds like the obvious choice.

Quickleaf

Legend
Would my character be able to use the cantrip Fire Bolt to melt the snow to help?
Possibly....? What exactly are you trying to accomplish? What's your intended outcome?

For ex, if you're trying to get the party moving faster than 1/4mph on snowshoes in mountainous terrain... I don't see how Fire Bolt would accomplish that, even if we allowed creative upcasting. Whereas using Fire Bolt to assist in digging someone out who'd been buried by an avalanche? Yeah, I could see that.

I've got no idea how we're meant to find a consensus on an plan with pbp! its something most synchronous groups struggle with.
I like the idea of a day limit on stuff, then DM scene transitions.
Corse going looking sounds like the obvious choice.
Sure, it can be a PitA, but I see 2 approaches:

One - deciding on a "Caller" player who takes the lead about how this works. I rarely see players wanting to adopt this role because it usually involves more work, getting familiar with the entire party's strength/weaknesses, etc.

Two - and this is what I was assuming we'd do - is that I'm keeping track of a sort of rolling/continuously developing "standard operating procedures" for your party. So whoever wants to / is able to chime in during a particular scene will chime in. I'm sure it won't be 100% of the party responding, but half or more of the players responding seems a fair target. Then in my notes (and I can post this on first post in IC as well) I jot down something like:

Party ropes together in mountains, unless otherwise stated
Scout ahead = Corse (lookout, light-bearer)
Vanguard = Russet (no role OR tracker) (shield + spear)
Midguard = ?
Rearguard = ?

IOW, it's not about perfect planning in any given scene, rather it's more of an ongoing conversation across multiple scenes where I'm taking cues from whoever is contributing and repeating back "hey, sounds like this is your set up? any disagreement?"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads