• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OOC: Skeleton Quest - Origins - Possible Reboot

G

Guest 11456

OOC: Skeleton Quest - Origins

RG & IC threads.

In a vein similar to Krug's Kobold Quest and Ferrix’s Halfling Quest, this will put together a band of skeletons who have ‘awakened’ together to find the killer of their creator.

Prospective Players (bolded players have checked in):
Eluvan - Ilsthyr : Wizard Purple
Lord_Raven88 - Scorn : Cleric Blue
Li Shenron - Dust : Bard Red
D20Dazza - Telamar : Fighter Cyan
Pyrex - Rothorm : Monk Silver
WargamerX - Brak : Barbarian Dark Orange
Ferrix - Cass : Rogue Dark Slate Gray
orbitalfreak - Averey : Druid Green
Legildur - Joe : Sorcerer Magenta
Deuce Traveler - Treweye : Ranger Yellow

D&D 3.5
Players Handbook Only
Level 1 + template
Hit points 12 + max class hit points (ex. Fighter 22)
Classes: All but Paladin (obviously).
Stats: 30 modified point buy (spend points in the five abilities; not Constitution; if the chosen race has a bonus or penalty to Constitution, then apply that bonus or penalty to the number of points to spend, e.g. an elf neo-skeleton would have 28 points instead of 30).
Skill points: Normal for class plus (4 + INT bonus) for neo-skeleton. Max ranks in any skill 5. (use the extra skill points from neo-skeleton in class skills)
Starting Gold: None
Equipment: None
Evil characters only.
Use the Neo-Skeleton template below.
No background because you have none.
Description and Personality required.

Background
You have just ‘awakened’ and find that what you believe to be your creator is dead. His body is slumped over a table nearby.

NEO-SKELETON
Neo-skeletons are the animated bones of the dead that obey the orders of their evil masters.
CREATING A NEO-SKELETON
“Neo-Skeleton” is an acquired template that can be added to any corporeal creature (other than an undead) that has a skeletal system (referred to hereafter as the base creature).
Type: The creature’s type changes to undead.
Hit Dice: 1d12
Armor Class: Small +1 or Medium +2.
BAB: +0
Damage: Claw attack deals Small 1d3 damage or Medium 1d4 damage.
Special Qualities: Immunity to Cold (Ex), Damage Reduction 5/Bludgeoning, Undead qualities.
Saves: Base save bonuses are Fort 0, Ref 0, and Will 2.
Abilities: A neo-skeleton’s Dexterity increases by +2 and it has no Constitution.
Feats: Improved Initiative bonus feat.
Alignment: Any evil.
Special: Special class abilities still effect the neo-skeleton normally such as bardic music.

Undead Qualities:
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
Immunity to most mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
Negative energy (such as an inflict spell) can heal undead creatures. The fast healing special quality works regardless of the creature’s Intelligence score.
Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
Uses its Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.
Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.
Proficient with its natural weapons, and all simple weapons.
Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep.

Assume that you have all the knowledge and all the skills for your chosen class. You were created with that much. You just don't remember anything from your living years. So you have just been created, however, so you in essence don't have a background.

Also, each neo-skeleton will have glowing eyes of a specific unique color. That color will be your spoken text color as well for the game thread.

Special Class Abilities:
Assume that most class abilities work on neo-skeletons like they would on regular characters. Examples are a Bard's Inspire Courage and Barbarian's Rage*.

*Note on the Barbarian's rage: Duration 5 rounds, +2 HPs per barbarian level (not neo-skeleton level).

Last edited by a moderator:

Eluvan

First Post
Awesome, I want in. :D

I'd like to play a cleric I think. Do our characters have memories of their past lives when they awake? If not I guess it could be hard, since my character won't know of the gods and so obviously won't worship one.

Hmmm. Any ideas how it could work?

I guess I could just play a cleric of an ideal. Needs thought.

G

Guest 11456

Assume that you have all the knowledge and all the skills for your chosen class. You were created with that much. You just don't remember anything from your living years. So you have just been created, however, so you in essence don't have a background.

Eluvan

First Post
Alright, great.

So... I feel a cleric of Vecna coming on. :D

I'll write up some stats soon, depending on how work on my essay goes tomorrow. :uhoh:

G

Guest 11456

Also, each neo-skeleton will have glowing eyes of a specific unique color. That color will be your spoken text color as well for the game thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Scorn, Skeletal Human Cleric

Scorn
Male Human Cleric

Alignment: Neutral Evil
Deity: Nurkal (God of Death, Trickery and Undead)
Domains: Death, Trickery
Size: Medium
Type: Undead
Base Speed: 30'

Str: 14 (+2) 6pts
Dex: 14 (+2) 4pts
Con: --
Int: 12 (+1) 4pts
Wis: 16 (+3) 10pts
Cha: 14 (+2) 6pts

HP: 20 (2d12)

AC: 20 (10Base +2 Dex + 2 Nat.Arm +4 Armour, +2 Shield)

Saves:
Fortitude: +2 (2 Base)
Reflex: +2 (0 Base +2 Dex)
Will: +7 (4 Base +3 Wis)

Init: +6

Base attack bonus: +0

Attacks:
+2 Morning Star 1d8+2 x3

Languages: Common, Goblin

Skills
Bluff 7 (5 ranks +2 Cha)
Concentration 5 (3 ranks + 2Cha)
Disguise 5 (3 ranks + 2 Cha
Hide 3 (5 ranks +2 Dex -4 ACP)
Knowledge (Religion) 6 (5 ranks + 1 Int)

Feats
Improved Initiative(B), Eschew Materials, Improved Turning

Undead Qualities[sblock]
Undead Qualities:
Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
Negative energy (such as an inflict spell) can heal undead creatures. The fast healing special quality works regardless of the creature’s Intelligence score.
Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.
Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep.[/sblock]

Equipment
Morning Star 8gp (6lb)
Light Crossbow 35gp (4lb)
(20) Bolts 2gp (2lb)
Scalemail 50gp (15lb)
Large Wooden Shield 7gp (10lb)

Unholy Symbol 1gp
(2)Belt Pouches 2gp (1lb)

Treasure: ?gp (114 gps spent)
Weight Carried: 38 lbs

Spells Known (3/2+1)
0st- Detect Magic, Guidance, Light.
1st- Cause Fear, Obscuring Mist, Disguise Self(D).

Height: 6'
Weight: 40 lbs
Eyes: Glowing Blue
Hair: none
Skin: none

Appearance:
An average sized humaonid skeleton with glowing blue 'eyes', adorned in battered scalemail with a large wooden shield in it's left hand and a blood stained morning star in it's right hand.

Around it's neck hangs the hated symbol of Nurkal 'Soulstealer' Greater God of Death and Trickery.

Personality:
Scorn is a cautious cunning being who seeks to firmly establish himself as leader among
the small band of skeletons, as a follower of the god of death, scorn feels that it is
his right to rule, and enjoys the power that he can exercise over the others.

Last edited:

Eluvan

First Post
Stat block coming soon. For now, just let me claim purple as my eye/text colour.

Lord_Raven, the inteprlay between our characters is gonna be.... interesting. :lol:

Li Shenron

Legend
Earl Dust

This sounds a funny and promising game... I have a nice concept (IMHO, of course), but I am absolutely not sure if I can make this work. The rules are not very much supportive to this character.

[sblock]Dust (or would be "Earl" Dust)
Human Bard

Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Deity: none
Size: Medium
Type: Undead
Base Speed: 30'

Str: 14 (+2) 6pts
Dex: 18 (+4) 10pts + 2race
Con: --
Int: 10 (0) 2pts
Wis: 10 (0) 2pts
Cha: 16 (+3) 10pts

HP: 18

AC: 19 (10Base +4 Dex + 3 Armor + 2 Nat.Arm)
DR: 5/bludgeoning

Saves:
Fortitude: +0 (0 Base)
Reflex: +6 (2 Base +4 Dex)
Will: +4 (4 Base +0 Wis)

Init: +8

Base attack bonus: +0

Attacks:
+4 Rapier 1d6+2 (18-20/x2)
+4 Claws 1d4+2
+4 Shortbow 1d6 (20/x3), 60ft

Languages: Common

Skills
Perform, violin 11 (5 ranks +3 Cha +3 feat)
Bluff 7 (4 ranks +3 Cha)
Use Magic Device 7 (4 ranks + 3 Cha)
Hide 8 (5 ranks +4 Dex -1 acp)
Move Silently 8 (5 ranks +4 Dex -1 acp)
Tumble 8 (5 ranks +4 Dex -1 acp)
Listen 4 (4 ranks +0 Wis)

Feats
Improved Initiative(b), Weapon Finesse, Skill Focus (Perform)

Undead Qualities[sblock]
Undead Qualities:
Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep.[/sblock]

Proficiencies
All simple weapons, longsword, rapier, sap, short sword, shortbow, whip.
Light armors (no ASF) and shields.

Equipment (87/100gp)
Rapier 20gp (2lb), 1d6 18-20/x2
Shortbow 30gp (2lb), 1d6 x3, 60ft
40 Arrows 2gp (6lb)
Violin 5gp (3lb)
Spell component pouch 5gp (2lb)
Studded Leather armor 25gp (20lb), +3 ac, max dex 5, acp -1
Tattered rags 0gp (unweighted clothes)

Treasure:
Weight Carried: 35 lbs

Class features
Bardic knowledge +1
Bardic music 1/day (Countersong, Fascinate, Inspire Courage +1)

Spells per day
0th - 2, DC 13

Spells Known
0st- Daze, Ghost Sound, Mending, Lullaby

Height: 5'10''
Weight: 35 lbs
Eyes: Red
Hair: none
Skin: none

Appearance:
With its deep red glowing eyes, this otherwise average skeleton has a somewhat noble appearance and charismatic presense, while at the same time imposing a subtle sense of threat to those mortals who look upon it.
Tattered and ripped rags barely cover half of its body, its right hand clenched as a brooch to keep the rag's edges together, as attempting to make it cover more than possible. The gibbosity where the left arm is kept under the rags reveals that something is hidden underneath: an old and scratched violin which sounds sinister and fascinating at the same time.
This skeleton is very nimble when moving, and often seems to produce no sound at all when walking.

Personality:
The ever-calm and polite mannerisms of Earl Dust conceal a burning hatred inside. As soon as awakening, the first thought was the desire for its creator to be destroyed. But as it became quickly known that this was done by someone else, Dust's hatred turned into envy for those who prevented itself from doing so, or at least prevented it to behold its master's death.
In the tormented madness of its revenant mind lies also the aching hate for its own new appearance, which makes Dust long for anything that could hide its skeletal look, although it would never mention or admit the matter to anyone.
[/sblock]

I know, it's gonna be tough to make this work. Since bardic music will not affect undead, so long for inspire courage...

BTW I have questions:

1. You said equipment was gone, but I don't get the 2.5 per d4... (I gave myself only the bardic instrument for the moment)

2. How do we calculate point-buy without Constitution? (I assumed I had to spend no points on that)

3. What are the class skills for the skeleton? Or can we spend the last 4 points in the same class skills as the main class?

Last edited:

Remove ads