D&D 5E [OOC] Uller's Out of the Abyss

SunGold

First Post
That's rad, DMAesh! Looking forward to seeing it. :)

Uller, should we all roll initiative, or just those who are out of their shackles?

Uller

Adventurer
Ezraen smiles to himself, releasing the most combat worthy first, then moving to the others. Once he frees Jimjar, he laughs, "I'll bet 5 silvers that you can't get the rest free before I take down that guard!"

Initiative - (1d20+3)[21]

Ezraen runs at the first guard up, and slides in, kicking a leg out to cause the drow guard to stumble and while he or she regains their balance, the half-drow relieves it of its dagger (assuming that it has one.)

Acrobatics - (1d20+5)[12]
Sleight of Hand - (1d20+5)[23]

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?469472-IC-Uller-s-Out-of-the-Abyss/page6#ixzz3qflIVisx

A couple things...

You probably can't do all this in one round...Ezraen get's himself free before the guard sounds his horn. You can throw the keys to JimJar as a free action. No need for the acrobatics check...SoH is enough to lift a dagger from someone. So once we begin the round you're tossing the key's to JimJar, running up to the guard in the tower (he's the closest one and probably the most tactically critical one) and stylistically relieving him of his dagger?

The acrobatics check raises an interesting point though...

between 4e and 5e I introduced a house rule to encourage my players to use skills in interesting ways to gain advantage on checks, attacks and saves...I don't remember the details but it was something like once per encounter (to stop it from getting out of hand) you can use a free action to make a skill check to gain advantage on your next attack roll, skill check or save or impost disadvantage on another creature's attack, save or check...it has to make some sense of course...A nat 1 or a failure of 5 or more results in the opposite effect.

An example would be using athletics to kick a chair at a guard to disrupt his next attack. It would be opposed by acrobatics or athletics for the guard...Any interest in including this sort of thing?

DMAesh

Explorer
A couple things...

You probably can't do all this in one round...Ezraen get's himself free before the guard sounds his horn. You can throw the keys to JimJar as a free action. No need for the acrobatics check...SoH is enough to lift a dagger from someone. So once we begin the round you're tossing the key's to JimJar, running up to the guard in the tower (he's the closest one and probably the most tactically critical one) and stylistically relieving him of his dagger?

The acrobatics check raises an interesting point though...

between 4e and 5e I introduced a house rule to encourage my players to use skills in interesting ways to gain advantage on checks, attacks and saves...I don't remember the details but it was something like once per encounter (to stop it from getting out of hand) you can use a free action to make a skill check to gain advantage on your next attack roll, skill check or save or impost disadvantage on another creature's attack, save or check...it has to make some sense of course...A nat 1 or a failure of 5 or more results in the opposite effect.

An example would be using athletics to kick a chair at a guard to disrupt his next attack. It would be opposed by acrobatics or athletics for the guard...Any interest in including this sort of thing?

Ok, I will toss the keys to Jimjar, after I'm free, but I'll throw in a nod at Evandur and the fighter-types to indicate that Jimjar should start with them.

This time, I will just use the Acrobatics for flourish and keep in mind for possibly next round.

Uller

Adventurer
Here is the init I have so far:

Ezraen - 21
Surana - 19

Drow - 16

Klep - 11
Orsik - 3
Evandur - 1

Erevan and Ezraen are both free of the shackles. Anyone who has not yet done so may attempt to slip or break their shackles (DC 20 acrobatics or athletics respectively) or if you tried one and failed you may try the other. You can do this as part of your init roll since you'd have likely done that before the horn blew.

The NPCs will act at the end of the round. Let me know if you want any of them to do anything specific. The quaggoth will charge a drow. Jimjar will open a lock. Others will mostly stay out of the way.

There is a dead drow at the pen door with a shortsword, dagger and hand crossbow. There is one drow in the base of the tower (Ezraen is going after this one) and one at the watch post to the north east trying to sound the alarm.

Jorlan and two other drow were seen heading toward the open area between 3 and 4. There are at least three large flying things shrieking and buzzing. Other than that you can't yet tell what is going on.

Orsik has used his HD but other than that everyone is at full health.

I think that covers it. Let me know if I missed anything.

Last edited:

SunGold

First Post
I failed the dex slip on the shackles; I'll try the athletics str check now.

[roll0]

ETA: Ok, since I'm stuck in these I assume I can't melee or leave the cell. Is the guard tower within range of the hand crossbow? Maybe I could at least try and shoot the guard Ezraen's headed for with the dead drow's bow.

Last edited:

Uller

Adventurer
I failed the dex slip on the shackles; I'll try the athletics str check now.

[roll0]

ETA: Ok, since I'm stuck in these I assume I can't melee or leave the cell. Is the guard tower within range of the hand crossbow? Maybe I could at least try and shoot the guard Ezraen's headed for with the dead drow's bow.
I don't have the details in front of me...but you can move and fight with the shackles on (and leave the pen)...you are just hindered.

I'll look when I get home but IIRC you attack and make dex saves (and some checks) with disadvantage and attacks against you have advantage. Your movement is reduced as well I think.

SunGold

First Post
Hmm...hand crossbow still seems like the best option. Those are some pretty steep penalties, and in any case, I don't want to leave the room where the key is...

Besides, if I'm going to attack with disadvantage anyway, might as well do it with the d6 weapon that might poison the drow instead of my d4 flint dagger. I assume Bertram will want the bow, so if I end up ahead of him in the turn order, I'll toss it to him or drop it (whatever's allowed) at the end of my turn.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I'm sorry gang... I'm having too hard a time trying to keep up with this game. I think I've just take on too much at this point. Much as I like this character, I may have to retire him. Luckily, people die a lot in this game (or so I'm told), so having him squished shouldn't be tough.

Or, feel free to NPC him. :)

Remove ads