• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [OOC] Uller's Out of the Abyss

SunGold

First Post
Got a few questions before I decide on my actions...

1. Just want to confirm that Jimjar can only unlock 5 of us altogether (including Evandur and Orsik) since we are deciding on actions for 5 turns. In other words, Evandur, Orsik, Klep, me, and 1 NPC we need to decide on. Is this correct?

2. Food. This is actually two questions. First, from my background (Outlander) I have a feature that says I "can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth." I don't expect to get the full effect of this, but will it yield something? The occasional mushrooms or rats?

And secondly...*cough*aredrowedible?*cough* 'Cause that corpse at the base of the tower...if it's bring him along or starve to death in the Underdark, well... (sorry Ezraen)

3. The spider. Ok, you said it wasn't intelligent enough to process complex commands. But is it...nice?...enough to bond with Drum? Could it do that and then just be dropped in an arrow slit at Ilvana's by Topsy or Turvy so we could see through its eyes? The only thing I can think to do with it is use it to get a peek in there before we go in...drow would kill us on sight but I can't see them killing a spider on the wall...

ETA: [MENTION=6801331]DMAesh[/MENTION] I like the pic! The artist definitely captured your rogueish backstory in that facial expression. ;)

Last edited:

Uller

Adventurer
Got a few questions before I decide on my actions...

1. Just want to confirm that Jimjar can only unlock 5 of us altogether (including Evandur and Orsik) since we are deciding on actions for 5 turns. In other words, Evandur, Orsik, Klep, me, and 1 NPC we need to decide on. Is this correct?
Evandur is free already, so Orsik, Klep, Surana and 2 other PCs. You all are pretty sure you've seen guards in the guard tower have access to keys for the shackles. So there might be another key around.
2. Food. This is actually two questions. First, from my background (Outlander) I have a feature that says I "can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to five other people each day, provided that the land offers berries, small game, water, and so forth." I don't expect to get the full effect of this, but will it yield something? The occasional mushrooms or rats?
Yes. In fact the adventure provides rules for foraging in the underdark. You probably aren't sure how much you can gather, but from talking to others you can expect to be able to forage in the underdark. Some of them (Jimjar, Topsy, Turvy, Shuushar) are probably adept at it.
And secondly...*cough*aredrowedible?*cough* 'Cause that corpse at the base of the tower...if it's bring him along or starve to death in the Underdark, well... (sorry Ezraen)
Yes, corpses can be consumed. There are also rules for scavenging food from slain monsters. However, cultural prohibitions against consuming humanoids are probably pretty strong and probably grounded in some meta physical reality of the game world...cannibalism is called ghoulish for a reason...

There is food stores in the tower. Might be more efficient to grab some of that than start butchering the unfortunate drow guard.
3. The spider. Ok, you said it wasn't intelligent enough to process complex commands. But is it...nice?...enough to bond with Drum? Could it do that and then just be dropped in an arrow slit at Ilvana's by Topsy or Turvy so we could see through its eyes? The only thing I can think to do with it is use it to get a peek in there before we go in...drow would kill us on sight but I can't see them killing a spider on the wall...
I'll allow an attempt because I like creative use of the environment and powers. Myconid Rapport spores (which is what Drum uses to communicate) only effects creatures with Int 2 or better. Spiders have Int 1. But this is a special spider (maybe it arranged it's web to spell out "Some Dwarf" or something). Orsik believes it was sent by Moradin. So, let's give it an Int 2 and between Drum and Orsik, if they do nothing else, can behave like a familiar for 1 hour: Orsik can telepathically communicate with it, see through it's eyes and command it. But when it's dead, it's dead.
ETA: [MENTION=6801331]DMAesh[/MENTION] I like the pic! The artist definitely captured your rogueish backstory in that facial expression. ;)

DMAesh

Explorer
It is a nice picture...

I enjoy supporting artists... I have commissioned a handful of pics for my various campaigns. Usually I use Eric Belisle, but he is a little more expesive, but I just discovered badgerlordstudios when I was looking at fan art for the Critical Role bunch! If you guys have the budget, don't hesitate to reach out to him! ^_^

SunGold

First Post
Ok, thanks for the answers. I'll go post what I'd like to attempt in the IC thread.

I guess I'll post here, though, that my votes for the NPCs to unlock go to Derendil (based on his damage-dealing capabilities; he mangled that drow solo) and Ront (since I suspect he can bring some pain too).

[MENTION=6801331]DMAesh[/MENTION], thanks for mentioning Eric Belisle! I googled him and immediately recognized his style from some of the pieces in I really liked in the 5th edition PHB. Since the artists were only named on the credits page and not on the illustrations themselves, I never bothered to go google everyone on the list until I figured out who did the ones I liked most. Serendipity. :) Bookmarked his blog.

DMAesh

Explorer
Ok, thanks for the answers. I'll go post what I'd like to attempt in the IC thread.

I guess I'll post here, though, that my votes for the NPCs to unlock go to Derendil (based on his damage-dealing capabilities; he mangled that drow solo) and Ront (since I suspect he can bring some pain too).

[MENTION=6801331]DMAesh[/MENTION], thanks for mentioning Eric Belisle! I googled him and immediately recognized his style from some of the pieces in I really liked in the 5th edition PHB. Since the artists were only named on the credits page and not on the illustrations themselves, I never bothered to go google everyone on the list until I figured out who did the ones I liked most. Serendipity. :) Bookmarked his blog.

I had followed Eric from when I played Pathfinder, because he was a prominent artist in a lot of their core books. I had reached out when I first came back to Kauai and was running my Rise of the Runelords campaign for a new group. I reached out to him and paid for portraits of my PCs as a reward for an awesome campaign. If you want to check them out, you can see them on the character pages here.

https://sites.google.com/site/runesofvarisia/

I also found that he does sketches too, for a bit less, but they are harder to manipulate if you want changes. Eric is awesome and I enjoy working with him.

Uller

Adventurer
We've heard from DMAesh, Marcelus14 and itcomeswithamap. Zansy said life is busy right now and Ranger20 is still off electronics for a bit (he went to school half a day today but I'm guessing when he sees the doc tomorrow he'll still be on light or no activity for a bit). So that leaves JustinCase. I'll try to post tomorrow evening what the NPCs and Orsik are doing (Mondays and Tuesdays are often pretty busy for me) and definitely on Wednesday I'll post what happens next.

Zansy

Explorer
Hey guys I don't mean to disappoint, really, I didn't want to come to this because I never have before, but I'm afraid I'll have to drop out of this adventure - not at all because I want to. But rather because I don't have another option other than neglect it and leave you guys hanging. So consider me out of the game----or at least on indefinite leave. If and when things change for me at some point, and Uller and you guys are still going would be willing to take me back, I'll gladly come back - you guys are awesome :) I wish you luck and sanity where it is most needed. Thanks for having me guys.

Remove ads