[OT] What does "under Jacob's condition" mean?

Samaeljs

First Post
As for Creek, it should be capitalized. As per the Native American tribes treaties with the U.S., they are all sovereign nations as well as population groups. They have their own website. Different tribes have different denominations within them. The Creek Nation of Oklahoma is the Muscogee. muscogeenation-nsn.gov

Janx

Hero
As for Creek, it should be capitalized. As per the Native American tribes treaties with the U.S., they are all sovereign nations as well as population groups. They have their own website. Different tribes have different denominations within them. The Creek Nation of Oklahoma is the Muscogee. muscogeenation-nsn.gov

Only if the sentence actually refers to the tribe. Since the sentence involves a word that could rever to a small stream OR a tribe of native americans, it is ambiguous.

Give that you just mentioned Creek from Oklahoma, and the quote is from a hillbilly speech, which tended to come from the Appalachian mountains, the matter is further ambiguous.

Unless the Creek were far reaching (or moved), it would imply they existed in the West, and thus wouldn't be a part of hillbilly concerns in the East. Therefore increasing the likelyhood the hillbillies were concerned about water rising, not native americans.

I'm sure some expert on Native American history can chime in with "...actually, they lived in lands taken over by hillbillies..." But until such evidence comes up, we need not assume and enforce captilization rules on a topic that is all wet.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That's interesting, but no offense intended to you, that isn't very concrete. Even if it is accurate, the original meaning was lost long ago, and the phrase has changed into meaning streams.

Many (possibly most) people don't recall that the term "gypped" is a reference to being cheated by gypsies - a decidedly negative reference to the Romani people. Pretty much every time it gets used on these boards, someone will drop us a line to note that we're allowing a racial slur on the site. Simply put - your ignorance of the origin doesn't mean someone won't be offended.

What matters is, having the issue pointed out to you, how do you respond? Do you keep fighting to use a phrase some folks feel is offensive, or do you bend to their sensibilities. Your call.

"Asian" ... well, okay, some of them don't change.

No, that one too - the previous term was "Oriental" that is now decidedly out of favor.

Nagol

Unimportant
Only if the sentence actually refers to the tribe. Since the sentence involves a word that could rever to a small stream OR a tribe of native americans, it is ambiguous.

Give that you just mentioned Creek from Oklahoma, and the quote is from a hillbilly speech, which tended to come from the Appalachian mountains, the matter is further ambiguous.

Unless the Creek were far reaching (or moved), it would imply they existed in the West, and thus wouldn't be a part of hillbilly concerns in the East. Therefore increasing the likelyhood the hillbillies were concerned about water rising, not native americans.

I'm sure some expert on Native American history can chime in with "...actually, they lived in lands taken over by hillbillies..." But until such evidence comes up, we need not assume and enforce captilization rules on a topic that is all wet.

The Muskogee (Creek) tribe started off in Georgia. THe Creek designation came from the settlers because the tribe lived near Ocmulgee Creek, apparently.

Gryph

First Post

The Creek tribes were part of the Trail of Tears forced migration to Oklahoma.

Janx

Hero
The Creek tribes were part of the Trail of Tears forced migration to Oklahoma.

yeah, I guessed as much when I left myself an out for an expert to come in.

The world has become a place where folks can take offense because a capital letter was left off or an age old saying becomes offensive, despite the fact that the speaker no longer recalls the reason for the saying. I'm pretty sure hill billies aren't too concerned about the Creek Nation rising anymore.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The world has become a place where folks can take offense because a capital letter was left off or an age old saying becomes offensive, despite the fact that the speaker no longer recalls the reason for the saying. I'm pretty sure hill billies aren't too concerned about the Creek Nation rising anymore.

What do you mean, "has become"? The human race has held onto past wrongs since time immemorial! The Hatfields and McCoys were at it for, what, 30 years? There are whole nations on this Earth that glare at each other across borders for things done a generation to a century ago. And that's just for things long gone. How much longer will the memory be when, honestly, the wrongs of the past still exist?

Honestly, what does it say that we cannot be bothered to even remember what happened to people, and do them the respect of not referring to it casually, as if it didn't really matter? You think they should take that in stride, and not feel disrespected?

Remove ads