• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E PAX East: D&D Live Game 2014 Acquisitions Incorporated

Rhenny

Adventurer
I like to play the game and actually get things done, if you are going to stop the game and tell a joke then please actually make it a good one. This is not a great way to introduce the game to a new audience.

I'm pretty sure the Acquisition Inc. games are not intended to introduce new players to the game. They are more designed to entertain. They turn the serious goal oriented D&D game into a spectator experience. If their games played like most people's games they would not be that entertaining to watch.

Personally, I enjoy watching how Chris Perkins runs games no matter what. His work does inspire me.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I like to play the game and actually get things done, if you are going to stop the game and tell a joke then please actually make it a good one. This is not a great way to introduce the game to a new audience.

It's not a great way to introduce the game to you personally. You do not constitute the potential "new audience" you speak of. And, frankly, it's a branding exercise, not an documentary instructional exercise. It's not introducing the game to anybody, it's getting the brand name familiar again after a lull. Obviously.

If you disapprove of an ad... so what? Are you going to stop playing D&D in protest because an ad failed attract your particular demographic, whatever that is? Do car fans whine on the net about the latest Nissan ad? (Well, sadly, I expect they do; I guess that speaks more to the sad state of the internet than it does to any given product).

Literally. In the literal sense. Who cares? it's an advertising exercise not aimed at you or me. The time I've spent typing this, and the time you spent typing that, is a waste of both our time. Go play some D&D.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

It's an AWESOME way to do it. I think Weaton just blew past a million bucks to kickstart his web series? He gets insane numbers of eyes on the things he does. And now he just added RPGs to his show.

If it's not to your taste, cool. But the idea that this is overall a bad way to promote the game for others? I think you're out of touch, or your tastes don't mesh well with the tastes of a huge number of people. Which is fine - just don't speak for those other people as to what works for them.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
It's an AWESOME way to do it. I think Weaton just blew past a million bucks to kickstart his web series? He gets insane numbers of eyes on the things he does. And now he just added RPGs to his show.

If it's not to your taste, cool. But the idea that this is overall a bad way to promote the game for others? I think you're out of touch, or your tastes don't mesh well with the tastes of a huge number of people. Which is fine - just don't speak for those other people as to what works for them.

I'm not sure if you were watching the same thing as I was but it was awful. Their jokes and puns were not funny in the least, Chris Perkins sounded like he was reading from a sheet of paper, there was no depth in the way he was describing things. I don't give a flying monkey's turd what Weaton has done. I speak for myself and those that share my opinion on the matter. I had a few of my friends, who don't play RPG's at all and which I am trying to get into the hobby, watched it and looked at me with pitty. They asked me "is this the kind of thing you spend your free time on?" I told them thank god a lot of games don't operate like this one and that RPG's really are fun and not this annoying.

Look, a woman sitting on the toilet get's millions of views singing "sittin on the toilet" so the tastes of society have really dropped and this is no exception. I'm actually almost ashamed to call myself a gamer after watching this. I actually cringe for those people.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'm not sure if you were watching the same thing as I was but it was awful.

Do you just not understand that it's a matter of taste, and not objective truth? It's not to YOUR taste. It is to other people's tastes. It's rare that I see someone make a literal badwrongfun argument, that appears to be what you're saying. You're actually saying they're having the wrong kind of fun, and that it's bad for the game.

I don't give a flying monkey's turd what Weaton has done.

It's objective evidence you have to know what sort of exposure he's likely to get from focusing on something. So, if you want to know if your view is a representative one, you should want to know that.

I speak for myself and those that share my opinion on the matter.

Indeed, but that's not what you said earlier. You said it was a bad way to promote the game in general - not simply for you and your friends. Which is why multiple people jumped in to correct you on that.

I'm actually almost ashamed to call myself a gamer after watching this. I actually cringe for those people.

So now you are ashamed to be associated with people whose tastes differ from yours? OK...perhaps your tastes have grown away from D&D and you should consider a different hobby? Cause I know D&D fans don't need a guy around who is ashamed to be associated with them.

Last edited:

Nemio

First Post
I'm one of the new "people" who want to try out D&D
After thinking it was too complicated for many years it was actually the youtube video's with Chris Perkins that convinced me that I should give it a go.

I watched the Robot Chicken D&D first, both the normal version and the one with his DM commentary

Afterwards I found the D&D Pax games with Acquisitions Incorporated and found them very funny.
I showed the funniest moments to my friends & family I'm trying to "recruit" for a D&D tryout game and they liked it too.

I have to admit though that I found the 2014 session less good than previous years.
But I still had a good laugh/time with the following parts

From 37:50 to 53:07 Funny part about the statue
From 1:16:50 to 1:36:45 The large fight and their reactions
From 1:54:09 to 2:14:30 The smaller fight and some improvisations

Nemio

First Post
Oh yes, as a D&D newbie can anyone explain to me what exactly happened when
Jim went down to -1 HP and had to do a constitution saving throw

ValeLywoud

First Post
I'm not sure if you were watching the same thing as I was but it was awful. Their jokes and puns were not funny in the least, Chris Perkins sounded like he was reading from a sheet of paper, there was no depth in the way he was describing things.

As someone that has gotten back into the hobby because of games like this one. I can honestly tell you that this advertisement for both ToD and 5E/NEXT is doing what it's supposed to be doing for a certain mind-set. Which, from what I see, is make things be less intimidating to someone who is curious and is a fan of at least one of the game's players.

I speak for myself and those that share my opinion on the matter.
That's great. Voice it because I'm sure you're far from alone but please don't belittle something because you dislike it because unfortunately that's what it's coming across as and that just doesn't sit right with me.

I had a few of my friends, who don't play RPG's at all and which I am trying to get into the hobby, watched it and looked at me with pitty. They asked me "is this the kind of thing you spend your free time on?" I told them thank god a lot of games don't operate like this one and that RPG's really are fun and not this annoying.
That is unfortunate that it didn't gel with you, let alone them. However, like with many things, fun is subjective and what might be fun for you and your friends might be as equally annoying to someone else. However, that is the beauty of this little hobby of ours, there as many styles of play as there are stars in the sky and because of that, I'm sure if you could find a video or something representing your preferred style.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Yes, and what Wheaton does is not only very entertaining, but highly effective in promoting gaming. I know at least a couple of people who got back to boardgames thanks to Tabletop.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads