D&D 5E People didn't like the Psionic Talent Die

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Yes you were talking to me, and now you're being disingenuous. He said X, I responded to him with Y, he responded to me with Z, and then you quoted Z and referred back to what I had said in Y. To be specific, I responded to him about him wanting more crunch, he responded back to me saying he can't be the only one feeling that way, and you responded to him saying he wasn't the only one feeling that way but "some people here..." and everything past "some people here..." was referring back to my post. And then when I called you on it you played this silly game as if that isn't what just happened that everyone saw happen.

You can post that opinion on this forum, but you also have to deal with people disagreeing with you without whining about people disagreeing with you is something like being blasted. It's a DISCUSSION FORUM. You need to be able to deal with people disagreeing with your opinion without acting like you're some victim if there is dissent from your view.
You inferred that "some people here" referred to you, but it didn't. It refers to my own personal experience in the past half a year or so where EVERY FRACKING TIME I express a desire for more crunch I then have to argue with someone why that opinion isn't wrong.

It's nice to have support in your opinions, and I was offering that support to @Undave.

I read these forums on my phone. It's not the best format to do so, but it's what I have. I don't read threads linearly, one post after another, and I did t read your post preceding the post I replied to. I was literally sitting in the Five Guys parking lot waiting on my burger, clicked the thread, read the comment I replied to, then immediately replied my thoughts.

So, once again I was talking to @Undave about his statement and his statement only.

Undrave

Legend
Sounds basically like the DM sales focus is working well, then.

Oh the DM isn't the one who buys all the book... though I think the guy does DM another game I'm not in?

Maybe I should just try to find more DnD friends... once the plague is over I guess...

As a fellow support player, I can feel the pain. It's kind of bad that your main option almost every round is just to cantrip them into some damage instead of getting to do what you really want to do. I'm tired of saying "I cast sacred flame" at this point.

It baffles me that the Cleric and Bard only have ONE attack cantrip in the PHB! That means that if you want to do the caster option of both class you just end up doing the same thing over and over and over and over again no matter the build! It sucks. At least Vicious Mockery helps protect your allies by doing disadvantage.

I miss being able to smack a dude with my weapon, and then the next ally who follows my exemple gets temp HP! That was ace! Or gets a bonus to hit.

And I liked to do the support thing at will. Busting out Bless, Shield of Faith or Cure Wounds once or twice a day doesn't make me feel like I'm a support character much.

It's nice to have support in your opinions, and I was offering that support to @Undave.

And I thank you for that support.

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
What a lot of people do when they get bored with D&D is try completely different RPGs. There are literally thousands of them, and at least several dozen really good ones. All of the 5e D&D design team (and most designers in general) are familiar with and play RPGs other than the one they are working for. It's not an either/or thing. You don't have to leave D&D to play other RPGs too.

It feels like you may be assuming D&D should shoulder an unnecessary burden of being the entire RPG market, when it can honestly just be a really good classic Monopoly and let other games do the other "less D&D-ish" things.

Very well said, Sword.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
You inferred that "some people here" referred to you, but it didn't. It refers to my own personal experience in the past half a year or so where EVERY FRACKING TIME I express a desire for more crunch I then have to argue with someone why that opinion isn't wrong.

I read these forums on my phone. It's not the best format to do so, but it's what I have. I don't read threads linearly, one post after another, and I did t read your post preceding the post I replied to. I was literally sitting in the Five Guys parking lot waiting on my burger, clicked the thread, read the comment I replied to, then immediately replied my thoughts.

So, once again I was talking to @Undave about his statement and his statement only.

OK, fair enough, then I am sorry for saying that to you. And I get reading on your phone while out for dinner, so sorry if my comment made your break harder.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Either you're being very generous with the concept of "putting out options", or that's a very strong statement to make. One that is not getting a lot of support from the many books I've purchased from them.

The third book in nine months with new player options is coming out next month. All three books have loads of Setting info, monsters, and Adventure material. That is way faster than most groups are going to use that much material.

Hussar

Legend
Psionics are never going to happen. Too many people want too many different things from them for any one approach to clear their satisfaction threshold.

Well, that’s not entirely true. Eventually something will be boring enough that most players are fine with it. But it’s going to be a while.

Huh. I said exactly the same thing and got pilloried for it.

Hussar

Legend
I think I honestly won't care about any psionic ruleset until it has a way to wed the narrative of 'weird mindscape shenanigans' into game mechanics in an elegant way.

I don't need my psions to shoot goop at people (ectoplasm) or do a bunch of psychic damage or telekinesis or body equilibrium stuff.

I need them to let me play a tabletop version of FX's show LEGION.

I believe the game would need to ship with several kilos of psychotropic substances to achieve that.

FireLance

Legend
Oh yeah, absolutely. By removing healing surges, they also made healing fixed again, instead of proportional.
In 5e, healing a downed barbarian to full will take considerably more spells slots than healing a wizard in the same way. Which produces a weird narrative were the toughest SOBs need more intense medical attention than the wimps.
Slight tangent, but I think this may have just inspired my next houserule: cure wounds restores hit points as if the target had spent a Hit Die (including Constitution bonus) per spell slot level. The other healing spells will need to be similarly adjusted. Maybe healing word restores only half the hit points from spending the Hit Dice or something.

Undrave

Legend
Slight tangent, but I think this may have just inspired my next houserule: cure wounds restores hit points as if the target had spent a Hit Die (including Constitution bonus) per spell slot level. The other healing spells will need to be similarly adjusted. Maybe healing word restores only half the hit points from spending the Hit Dice or something.

Replace the d4 roll with CON mod instead? (min. 1)

Remove ads