D&D Movie/TV Photos from the D&D Movie Set

The D&D movie is currently filming at Alnwick Castle in Northumberland. A number of onlookers have posted photos from the set on Twitter, as has Newcastle's The Chronicle. Check the link for lots more! Alnwick was built in 1309, and has been used in Harry Potter and Downton Abbey, amongst other things. https://www.enworld.org/threads/the-d-d-movie-has-begun-filming.679837/...

The D&D movie is currently filming at Alnwick Castle in Northumberland. A number of onlookers have posted photos from the set on Twitter, as has Newcastle's The Chronicle. Check the link for lots more! Alnwick was built in 1309, and has been used in Harry Potter and Downton Abbey, amongst other things.

Alnwick_Castle_02.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

One thing.... yeah things look "new", but all those medieval museum pieces you see looked a lot newer... when they were new :D The armor... well I guess it's D&Desque. It would be nice if they had some chainmail or plate handy. It would also be nice if they whitewashed / plastered the castle walls too. The bare stone look is an artifact of age / ruins. They liked their walls to be shiny and white back in the medieval day. Armor should be in good repair, weapons too. If they get dinged up they get fixed. Your life is riding on them. Leave the grungy beat up stuff for scavengers, poor bandits, Orcs (the classic evil ones) and the like. On the other hand that would not be the look people are expecting, would it :)
Yeah I don't think they would be allowed to 'whitewash" the 1000 year old castle of the Dukes of Northumberland.

Yeah I don't think they would be allowed to 'whitewash" the 1000 year old castle of the Dukes of Northumberland.
It wouldn't be the first time :D That was typical of many medieval castles. It went out of fashion after they ceased to be functioning castles. Most are ruins, some are preserved to an extent, and a few, like Alnwick, are still residential. I am occasionally surprised the Percy family survived the War of the Roses. That was a noble bloodbath. Alnwick got several post medieval makeovers. The mid 1800s renovation saw it returned to it's medieval form. By then plastering / whitewashing the walls was not being done. It's in a beautiful state of preservation for the most part. And I admit, I like the look of the stone walls :) I only brought it up because people were afraid it was "too new" in terms of the banners and so on. New it's not and it does look the part of large medieval fortress doesn't it?

And yes, I'm a castle junkie. I love the look, floorplans, history etc.

Remove ads

Remove ads