• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Phyrric Legacy - Shackled City IC Thread

Question

First Post
OOC : No objections, get the others. We probably need the backup.

"Sounds like they are creatures of the night, by all accounts." Liracor muses. "Perhaps if we enter during the day we may catch them sleeping, or at least, unprepared. We seem to have the advantage of surprise, though i wouldnt put it past them to have heard of our inquiries."

Last edited:

Land Outcast

Explorer
I'll detail later, but basically, Remen engages in conversation, about why the dwarf is here, trying to catch (Sense Motive) any doubts shown. He says he is basically a tavern bouncer, but by day he's got not much work.

Malvoisin

First Post
stonegod said:
Jon takes a look down the new passage and than to his companions. "We will need more than this to muster a force. In addition, we either need to question *that*"---pointing to the skulk---"or hand it over to the appropriate forces. Either way, we should fetch our companions. I suggest the two of you stay while I go?"
Legildur said:
Flannad sticks his head through the stair railings in order to watch Ghelve unlock the secret door.

The whisper gnome shrugs his shoulders at Jon's suggestion. "Maybe Master Ghelve here would like to contribute to our mission to rescue the children and his pet rat by providing some supplies? Of course, that would also stand him in good stead with the authorities later."
Ghelve replies, "Of course, I'll do whatever I can to help you, though I'm not sure what you mean by supplies. I don't have much here in the shop that will do you much good in Jzadirune. What sort of supplies did you have in mind?"

stonegod said:
"Flannad, there is no reason to sound like we are extorting Master Ghelve. We are here to help. However, Master Ghelve, any information about this gnomish enclave you can tell my companions would be beneifical on our mission."
Ghelve answers Jon, "Well, I did visit Jzadirune occasionally with my father when I was a young gnomeling, but that was many years ago. I do remember that the doors in Jzadirune are gear-shaped, and they open by rolling to one side or the other. I think many of them bore traps that only the gnomes could safely bypass. I also remember my father telling me about secret passages, but I don't know where any of them are." Ghelve pauses for a moment, then exclaims, "You know, I think I may even have a map of the enclave boxed up somewhere with my father's things! It may take a little while to find, but I'll gladly look for it if you like."

Legildur said:
"I'll help fetch the others if you like."
stonegod said:
Jon shakes his head smiling. "No, I think you should stay here with Liracor to hear anything else Master Ghelve has to say. I can make the approach quicker in any case, no offense."

OOC: If no one has any objects, thats what Jon will do---try to get the others.
Question said:
OOC : No objections, get the others. We probably need the backup.

"Sounds like they are creatures of the night, by all accounts." Liracor muses. "Perhaps if we enter during the day we may catch them sleeping, or at least, unprepared. We seem to have the advantage of surprise, though i wouldnt put it past them to have heard of our inquiries."
With the matter more or less settled, Jon quickly departs the locksmith's shop, and heads for The Drunken Morkoth. He hopes that the other half of their new fellowship is already there, for he has much new information to share.

This leaves Flannand and Liracor to consider preparations for a journey below-ground. There is also the matter of the unconscious skulk...what will the party do with it?

Malvoisin

First Post
Land Outcast said:
I'll detail later, but basically, Remen engages in conversation, about why the dwarf is here, trying to catch (Sense Motive) any doubts shown. He says he is basically a tavern bouncer, but by day he's got not much work.

While Arak and Dowlee chat nearby, Remen enjoys a few hands of cards with Tyro. The dwarf is in a good humor, and talkative enough, and Remen soon learns that he is a merchant from Sasserine, and is in Cauldron on an extended series of business negotiations. As they play, they discuss recent events in Cauldron, (particularly the disappearances "Dreadful pity, that."), the weather, and common urban myth ("There isn't really a great tentacled beast that lurks in the lake, is there?") Nothing the dwarf says seems suspicious or contradictory. In fact, Remen finds him to be an affable companion, and not a half-bad card player. He wins about as much as he loses, and after half-a-dozen hands, the two players are basically even.

Suddenly, the door of the Drunken Morkoth swings open, and Jon dashes in, looking a bit winded. He looks as though he has something important to say...

Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Malvoisin said:
Ghelve answers Jon, "Well, I did visit Jzadirune occasionally with my father when I was a young gnomeling, but that was many years ago. I do remember that the doors in Jzadirune are gear-shaped, and they open by rolling to one side or the other. I think many of them bore traps that only the gnomes could safely bypass. I also remember my father telling me about secret passages, but I don't know where any of them are." Ghelve pauses for a moment, then exclaims, "You know, I think I may even have a map of the enclave boxed up somewhere with my father's things! It may take a little while to find, but I'll gladly look for it if you like."
At the mention of the gear doors, the chatter in the back of Jon's head threatens to overcome him, but, still facing the gnome, he clamps down on them. Gears... Yes! 'Doors with Teeth!. Jon nods as if seeing a sudden revelation, then mentions to the Flannad, "Looks like we will again be needing your expertise."

~~~

Malvoisin said:
Suddenly, the door of the Drunken Morkoth swings open, and Jon dashes in, looking a bit winded. He looks as though he has something important to say...
Jon, while not particular out of shape, is not an athelete. Catching his breath, he has a hard time distinguishing between the Voices and the Morkoth's ambient voices, and for a moment looks dazed. Then, seeing the others, he makes his way to the paladin and halfling.

"Ah, Sir Arak. Mistress Dowlee. I believe I have found something of vital interest to our investigation. If you would, please follow. We will need Master Remen as well. I will fill you in on our way. You can tell me of your progress as well."

OOC: Assuming everyone follows w/o too much hassle, Jon will fill them in on the odd gnome, the skulk, and the mysterious gnomish enclave they are using. Essentially, an instant replay. He will specifically talk about the "Curtain" (red curtain), "Below Cauldron" (the enclave) and "Doors with Teeth" (gear doors) clues of the augury.:)

And will need to wait until the others decide what to do with the skulk before arriving.

Legildur

First Post
Flannad acquiesces to Jon's plan.

The young whisper gnomes scratches his chin as he ponders what aid that Master Ghelve might be able to provide them. With Ghelve's offer on the map, Flannad decides to accompany him and speak with him about locks, as obviously the 'door with gears' is likely to challenge his own meagre skills.

"Liracor, why don't you sit on that skulk until the others arrive while I talk with Master Ghelve about locks?" he suggests, excited at the prospect of learning something from a master, as all locksmiths are also lockpicks!

"Master Ghelve, the door to Jzadirune. You mentioned that it is trapped. Do you know anything that would help me bypass those traps? Or any special tools I may need? Do you have any tools better than my own (ooc: masterwork thieves tools) that would help with locks and such?"

ooc: essentially just looking for any advice, knowledge or items that Ghelve may gift, advise or loan that would help with Search, Open Locks, Disable Device checks. He'll save the more general questions about the enclave until the others arrive.

Question

First Post
Liracor raises an eyebrow at Flannad. "Sit? I dont think we need to do that.....its not going anywhere. Although that does bring up the question of what we are going to do it with it when it wakes up, later, when we are down below. Master Ghelve, do you think you can keep watch over the skulk while we embark on the rescue mission?"

Legildur

First Post
Flannad shrugs. "It'll probably wake up sooner than we'd like. And I'd as soon have it in the hands of the city watch when we're below than leave it here for Master Ghelve to watch over."

Remove ads