D&D 5E Planescape shows up in the wild. Tease from Chris Perkins.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't see any reason to do so long as it's generic fantasyland adventure. Being well known, with lots of content, movies and video games is a huge advantage.

It's only when the adventure does not have a generic fantasy setting that they use other parts of the FR, as they do in Radiant Citadel for example.
Because if they want to keep using a fairly generic base for new Campaigns, the Inner Sea opens up a lot more space (they don't generally seemed inclined to revisit the same area too often without a metaplot). Besides, Perkins has spoken about transitioning away from the Sword Coast into other parts of Faerun, specifically Coromyr, in a way that suggested that is where they are headed over time.

The Dalelanda also share the Sword Coast's advantage of being the location of Greenwood's actual home games, and hence actually interesting detail.

Novels, yes. Reference books, no. Who wants to faff about with an index when you can just tell your phone what you want to know?
It was ever thus with RPGs, too. Loads of people buy adventures or setting books they're never actually going to run, often with no serious intention of using, sometimes without even having a group.
I dare say in TSR days the readers might have outnumbered the players.

Sure, but TSR still got my money, and I still enjoyed those books. What does it matter how I use them?
I'm not really saying it's necessarily a problem, but it's certainly A Thing.

It can become a problem when a company stops designing books to be primarily useful for their actual stated role and instead starts writing them primarily for reading (that never really happened in the TSR era to be fair).

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I'm not really saying it's necessarily a problem, but it's certainly A Thing.

It can become a problem when a company stops designing books to be primarily useful for their actual stated role and instead starts writing them primarily for reading (that never really happened in the TSR era to be fair).
The balance between reading and playing was perfect for me in the 2e era, especially with Dragon Magazine. I've dearly missed that time ever since.

I am a collector-reader, not a true player. Somebody like the lore of the TTRPGs as source of inspiration for their fanfiction. Publishers don't worry about this if the books are sold.

When we tell our own homebred ideas and these are published in internet to can be used by other players for their own games, in certain way we are also playing. Writting fanfiction is also playing.

* Have you thought about new planes to be added?

Remove ads