D&D 5E Planescape shows up in the wild. Tease from Chris Perkins.

I dare say in TSR days the readers might have outnumbered the players.
Probably correct. It's the "player " market that has seen massive growth.

And the fact that D&D is now owned by Hasbro is part of the reason. It's not that there is no market for "readers", it's that a toy and game company isn't particularly interested in pursuing it (and when they do it's aimed at children). There is an old adage in business that you should stick to what you know, and avoid overdiversification.

Probably correct. It's the "player " market that has seen massive growth.

And the fact that D&D is now owned by Hasbro is part of the reason. It's not that there is no market for "readers", it's that a toy and game company isn't particularly interested in pursuing it (and when they do it's aimed at children). There is an old adage in business that you should stick to what you know, and avoid overdiversification.
Has it though, I look at all the D&DBeyond characters who are never used in a campaign, the online theory-crafting and elaborate backgrounds, the campaign settings carefully crafted and wonder....how much of these people are playing, as opposed to, I guess, "playing at playing."

Has it though, I look at all the D&DBeyond characters who are never used in a campaign, the online theory-crafting and elaborate backgrounds, the campaign settings carefully crafted and wonder....how much of these people are playing, as opposed to, I guess, "playing at playing."
These are things that key off rules though. And therefore in Hasbro's wheelhouse.

Books for "readers" don't need rules at all. And you see them published for other fictional worlds. I really doesn't make any difference if the lore book is about Star Trek, Middle Earth, Forgotten Realms or something the author created themselves. There is a market for them, but its a market for publishing houses, not toy makers.

Because if they want to keep using a fairly generic base for new Campaigns, the Inner Sea opens up a lot more space (they don't generally seemed inclined to revisit the same area too often without a metaplot). Besides, Perkins has spoken about transitioning away from the Sword Coast into other parts of Faerun, specifically Coromyr, in a way that suggested that is where they are headed over time.

The Dalelanda also share the Sword Coast's advantage of being the location of Greenwood's actual home games, and hence actually interesting detail.

Other advantages of the Inner Sea is that Thay is there and I think they want to make Thay an even bigger antigonist going forward. Other major villains in the area are Warlock Knights of Vaasa, Queen of the Succubi Malnchanet, Unther, etc...

And it's set up to do a much greater variety of adventures. Myth Nentar for visiting an underwater city you don't need a spell to visit, empires related to Earth empires, megadungeon the Celestial Nadir, old school kingdoms Cormyr, Impiltur, Damara, Rasheman, you got the Old Empires Region for ancient empires and Dragonborn nation of Tymanther, Pirate Islands, racial divirsity (Turmish, Nathlan), city states like Westgate, you got that nation that Raven bluff is apart of, etc..., you got tell more kinds of stories there ones that involve bigger nations and are closer to big villain nations.

I love Baldur's Gate and Waterdeep and Neverwinter, but the Inner Sea region is just far richer in possibilities.

Those aren't setting books. They're adventures with player options and a little background attached. What setting they have is designed to support the included adventure, not creating adventures in the setting the book is ostensibly about.
They have what you need to play D&D. They do not have the reams of irrelevant and repetitive information that used to be in setting books because you do not need that to play D&D. It only existed to be read.

Remove ads