Possible Solution to the Dexterity vs Strength debate?

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Funny, because the competition shooters I know all say to draw and release as soon as the draw is complete: don't hold. Basically for exactly the reason you say.

There's a mildly amusing anecdote about someone who took a bow around to someone's house for some kind of demonstration, and their muscle memory was such that they accidentally fired an arrow through suburbia while demonstrating a draw.

This is true. it a lot of time to learn how to do it well though. I guess that's represented with proficiency bonus.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I... actually kinda like that. The Fighter (who's going to be most concerned about his +mod) happens to be the class that gets extra ASI, enough to maintain both Dex and Str.

Is the Fighter really more concerned than the Barbarian, Rogue, Ranger, or Paladin?

The problem with this approach is that Spells will continue to use one stat for both Attack and Damage while Physical Attacks do not. I think that will lead to a bad time.

I've seen a few houserules that just let the player pick either.

While it would probably be slaughtering the Sacred cow, I would Combine Str and Dex in to one Stat and let the Player decide whether their Character is Big and Beefy, or Lithe and Slim.

MrHotter

First Post
Is the Fighter really more concerned than the Barbarian, Rogue, Ranger, or Paladin?

The problem with this approach is that Spells will continue to use one stat for both Attack and Damage while Physical Attacks do not. I think that will lead to a bad time.

I've seen a few houserules that just let the player pick either.

While it would probably be slaughtering the Sacred cow, I would Combine Str and Dex in to one Stat and let the Player decide whether their Character is Big and Beefy, or Lithe and Slim.

The same DM could use WIS for spell attack bonus and INT for damage to force all classes to spread their points around. Some times it's just easier to leave things the way they are. I was going to revamp the skills system in my game, but I ended up just making things more complicated and starting having too many house rules to give my players.

Remove ads